Saturday, December 08, 2007

I think I have a problem

Last night I needed a sweet fix. I needed one bad. It wasn't just any sweet fix. This is the problem I was talking about. It had to be a specific texture, temperature, and mouth feel to satisfy the need I had for something sweet. It is very unusal that we don't have something to quickly grab after dinner but right now it's really true. It was really cold last night and I had no desire to leave the house so I whipped something up. I call this Wassail Cake.Now, I am not a huge fan of cake mixes, but even I know the value of convenience in times of need so I decided to use one in this circumstance. It was late, and I didn't feel like rummaging in the cupboards for all the ingredients. So, KC has a book called The Cake Mix Doctor. A lot of you may have heard of it. The Festive Cran-Orange Cake sounded like what I wanted and I had all the ingredients. But I mostly used it as a guideline. Here is the original recipe, and my changes in parenthesis:

Cake:
1 yellow cake mix with pudding (I used white)
1 cup fresh orange juice (when my only orange didn't yield enough juice, and I didn't feel like defrosting a concentrate, I decided to use the cold wassail in my fridge)
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/4 c granulated sugar (I cut back on this a little since I knew the wassail was so sweet)
4 eggs (I only had three left and it was fine)
1 cup chopped dried cranberries (I only had fresh so I made a compote my cooking them with sugar a little water, and cinnamon until they were juicy, and sweet, and thick)

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons OJ ( I used wassail again)
orange zest for garnish ( I put this into the cake itself, and used sliced almonds for the garnish)

Some quick instructions:
Turn oven to 350. Spray and flour a bundt pan. Mix the cake mix, oil, eggs, wassail, and sugar for a couple minutes in the mixer just like your friendly cake mix suggests. Pour half the mix in the pan, drop spoonfulls of the cranberry compote on the batter and slightly swirl to make sure all batter is covered. Pour the rest of the mix on top and bake for 40 minutes. When it's done, wait a couple minutes and then tap out of the pan onto a cooling rack. I needed mine asap so I didn't wait too long for it to cool. Glaze the cake and them top with almonds and a nice dusting of the good old powdered sugar. This should be done when it's fully cooled, but again, I couldn't wait. If you like wassail, you will love this. I know I did. In fact, I think I'll have some for breakfast right now.

I know I have a whole blog dedicated to food, but this was a special occasion.

7 comments:

Cami said...

I'm so glad you found a good fix for your sweet tooth. Be it mix or not.

Janice said...

Looks and sounds delicious!! I had lots of fun experimenting with the Cake Mix Doctor book all those Sundays the college kids would come home for dinner. Found some winners.

Tracie Frost said...

I've never heard of the cake mix doctor. Will have to put it on my Christmas list! (Have you thought of publishing your own version?)

Amber said...

Wow, looks great! Sometimes when I need a little something, I just grab a hanful of chocolate chips! Not quite as glamorous, but....

melody said...

Thanks for the recipe! I wonder if I could get my cranberry-intolerant husband to eat it with me???

Jenni said...

Wow, that is quite a cake to just whip up! It looks delicious!! Thanks for the recipe!

Sarah said...

Cool! I think if you can make a cake mix not taste like a cake mix then go for it!
I think I need this book.