Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Babysitting Funnies

I tell you, kids say the darndest things. Yesterday when I was babysitting, cute wade and I were having a conversation. He has this habit of saying "what?" many times while we talk. Probably a habit of most 5 year olds. So, during one of these conversations, I got sick and tired of repeating myself three or four times. Usually what I'm repeating isn't even that important anyway, but he simply must know what it was. I don't mind answering his questions, or repeating them if need be, but it's when he says "what" before I even finish what I'm telling him that gets a little bit on my nerves. Here's a conversation for instance:

W: Can we put the candle in the cake now?
E: Well it just came out of the oven so we better let it cool down some more. (We made a chocolate banana cake for fun, but he insisted that we put one of those huge #3 candles he found in it so he could blow it out.)
W: Why do we have to let it cool down?
E: Well if we don't, it will prob...
W:(interrupting) What?
E: ...ably fall over and...Wade, you didn't even let me finish. If you would just listen you would've heard the reason why? You do that a lot. You make me say something over and over, when all you have to do is listen carefully and you'll hear it all the first time. (All in a kind motherly tone, of course.)
W:What? Hahahahhahaha. I was being silly.
E: Ha ha (slow, sarcastic laughing). Very funny Kiddo.

I couldn't help but crack a smile at this kid's wit, even though I was really trying to teach a lesson here. That is pretty quick humor he has.

Okay, one more. He's full of them. As some of you know (because we complain about it a lot), we have a coin operated dryer...in a house. I know. Lame. But it's cheap, we deal with it, and it's better than going to the laundromat. Anyway, I was running low on quarters and, Wade's mom Jan, a great friend of mine, told me they always have ample change and I could always exchange any of my money for quarters should I be in need. So with my coin purse full, I took advantage. Wade was watching me curiously and asked what I was doing. I told him that I was just exchanging a lot of little coins for the exact amount in bigger coins. He thought for a moment and then said, "So thaaaat's how you guys do it." It was as if he just had all the money mysteries, where it came from and where it went to, all figured out from that point on. Yep wade, this little coin bowl right here on the counter is the money pot for all the world to come and trade as their hearts desire. If only it was that easy.

That kid.

2 comments:

Cami said...

HA! I love the coin story. And oh, that kidding thing. Jeffy does that all the time the little nerdy. He has to hurry and tell me it was a joke or I get pretty mad. Silly boys.

melody said...

Oh, I love to hear kid funnies. He is not only darling but hilarious! You ARE a very patient sitter - all those questions could drive a person crazy.