Thursday, July 10, 2008

Next customer please

Up until last Tuesday, KC has been the only victim of am Emily haircut. Okay, I'm probably being too hard on myself, because I am getting a little better with each cut. It's might've been completely embarrassing the first couple times, but I have found a way to make it presentable. And his hair, being very straight and easily showing mistakes, has made me very meticulous and trained me well. So when given a head full of bushy curly hair, it was easy, fun, and very forgiving, unlike KC's. Here's what happened.When I went to start babysitting, I couldn't help but laugh at Wades head of poofy, yet gorgeous hair. It was just hilarious watching him run around with that helmet. His mom, also laughing, asked me where she should get it cut. I mentioned that before I started cutting KC's he really liked a specific girl (who I still go to and LOVE). She interrupted and promptly asked if I would do it. Now, I am not in the business of cutting other people's hair for fear or messing it up completely and never living it down. But as I was looking at his luscious locks, it looked like a fun little challenge. I said I would think about it. So we were bored, and they always beg to come to my house about a block away. Since we had no plans, I said why not. He thinks it's great when I find something for him to watch on my laptop (via Hulu, or Netflix live streaming). I don't have many toys for them, or shows so this is my way of entertaining them and they seem to think they have hit the jackpot. So I turned on a show and he was so thrilled he sat completely still through the entire haircut, and never complained. He did ask if I was done a couple times, which is a valid question. (I took me a while to make sure I didn't miss anything. He has A LOT of hair.) So we had success and he looked so much older when we were done. Iris couldn't stand wade getting all the attention, so she wanted to be next. I just got her hair wet, brushed it out, and put it in a pony tail. I usually play with braids and other fun ways to do her hair, but she wouldn't have it today. She still thought she was being pampered for sure. I'm telling you, these kids have hair that most of us only dream of. As a prize for being good sports, I gave them these window sticky things that kept Iris happy for probably an hour. (Everytime she stacked the pieces she called it a "Castle" and I had to look-every time.) Wade was content with more Batman cartoons on Netflix. They are great kids and his mom loved the haircut. I tried to leave it a little long since I love his big curls, so I was glad that his mom didn't think it was too short. It's probably silly to a lot of you experienced hair-cutters that I get all worked up over a simple haircut. So as much as the title my suggest it, I'm not really asking to make my customer list longer than two. I'm just a little relieved I am still friends with him mom after this ordeal.

5 comments:

Matt said...

Nice work sis. The first picture looks like Charlie Bucket from the orig. Willie Wonka. I love it.

Lili and Jeff said...

You are very brave, and will try anything. That sounded like a fortune cookie. You are the best babysitter! Ever! Will you come over and do my hair one of these days?

Cami said...

I still get worked up over haircuts--both in my family and out. Everytime I cut Prestons hair I FREAK OUT! And it's well known that I cry after my boys haircuts. Anyway, you did a great job! I like that it's still longish. I always cut too short so I don't have to cut again for a long time.

melody said...

Wow! What darling kids those are. And I love the pictures you take of them. That haircut looks just right, I'm glad you left it a little long too. Fun window stickies!

Kristy said...

I like his hair and he does look so much older! Travis cuts his own hair, I am way to scared of messing it up, and he oly buzzes it. Good job!