Monday, July 07, 2008

We've grown out of fireworks

But that doesn't mean we didn't enjoy the rest of the July 4th festivities. We did have quite an eventful weekend. Let's see if I can cover it all.

We went over to the Turpins around lunch time for Jake's late birthday fun. He already celebrated, but we couldn't let it pass without a cake. I tried my banana split cake again that Melody and I made for Lili in Utah. But it was a little different. I'll post it on EE soon, because it's so easy and it's a great treat for the summer. We played over there for a couple hours doing some games/exercises on Wiifit, taking pictures of the baby in her adorable outfit capturing her many expressions, and then had to make our leave to get ready for our friends to come over to our house.
The Millers told us they had all the makings for a bbq, so we volunteered our house. The Calls came too and with all of our contributions we had a delicious meal of gigantic hot dogs, green salad, mango salsa (with red, white, and blue chips), watermelon, and berry trifle. It was a great night with some great friends. And, yes, I am too annoyed by the mosquitoes, humidity, heat, and chances of rain to care about fireworks. Maybe next year. Maybe not.

Here is a slide show (mostly of the baby) if you weren't satisfied by the previous pics. That little watermelon Jane is pretty adorable, I have to say.



So as if that wasn't enough for one weekend, I was also hosting a "Wives and Daughters" night. My friend Genevieve has been wanting to watch it with a group for a while, so we made it happen. It was another night of eating too much good food, and even though we wanted to chat the whole time, we actually made it through the five hour movie and LOVED it. It is based on a book my Elizabeth Gaskell, and I don't think there was anyone who didn't cheer at the end. Thanks for the suggestion Genevieve. I think we decided "North and South" was next. I have great girlfriends, and I am happy to have them over for a girl's night anytime.I realized as I was uploading the pictures that I focused more on the food that the people. Habit I guess. I'll try to shoot actual faces next time.

It was nice to have an uneventful Sunday. We ate leftover fondue, watched a couple episodes of Lost, and had a lovely nap. Gotta love Sunday afternoons. Happy belated Independence Day to all.

6 comments:

melody said...

Sounds like your holiday celebrations were just right. Oh, I wish I could've been at the Wives and Daughters party! I love Molly Gibson! (And I LOVE fondue.)

melody said...

Oh yeah, the cake looks AWESOME! I will have to try it again too.

Jessica said...

I love Wives and Daughters! Down with Cynthia!

Cami said...

That is very fun and VERY cute pictures! I love them. However, for some reason, I can no longer download an entire album from Picasa! What is up with that?? I don't know if I want to download each individual picture, so I'll let you know if you need to make me a CD . . .

Woods said...

How fun! I also think Jane looks adorable. She's a doll! I wish I could be there to hang out with you and your yummy food!

Drew said...

Emily, you look gorgeous. And that cake looks really good too.