Saturday, August 22, 2009

New accommodations.

Here I am in the high risk pregnancy wing at Holy Cross Hospital in my lovely (and private, thank goodness) room. What a weird couple of days. Quite a roller coaster. Yes, I knew this was a possibility, actually more like a probability, but I'm the kind of person that likes to cross the bridge when I come to it, to minimize the worry and stress (not that it always works). Well, I'm crossing it now.

At my regular check-up on Thursday, I just had a feeling that something had changed. I told my mom and KC that I didn't have a good feeling about this appointment, so we should all be prepared. Call it maternal instinct, or whatever you want, but I was right. There was definitely progression getting me closer than they would like to pre-term labor. The staff had a little conference about what to do with me at this point. But since it was an on-the-fence kind of situation, they wanted to err on the side of caution to prevent us rushing back to the hospital in case of emergency (especially with the notorious traffic on our hospital route). Within the next 30 minutes, I was put in a wheel chair, taken to the registration desk, got everything worked out, and tucked in to my bed, allowing myself a few tears amidst all the hubbub. I mean, I am constantly amazed and full of gratitude at what is taking place in my body, and for the wonderful care we are receiving, and for how far I've made it already, but sometimes I crumble under all the stress. I try to stay strong for the babies, but I am only human, and a very hormonal and emotion one at that.

I was so confused when I got here. I felt like no one was talking to me or telling me what was happening. I felt like a number on a long list of people being looked at. I'm not someone who needs special attention or anything, but I was just a little scared and confused, and no one seemed to care. I started to freak out, trying to see myself living in these bleak surrounding for the next however many weeks, and just didn't feel like I could get used to it. Mostly I worry about the babies and how long I can keep them in. So I tried to say calm and have patience, while everything was getting worked out.

Eventually the busy staff made their way to me and I was introduced to my sweet nurse, among others. They hooked me up to the monitor, which took forever and was squeezing me so tight, it was hard to breathe. (They have a monitor on each of the babies, and one for contractions, so basically I have straps everywhere. I have to do that morning and night, and whenever it's necessary during the day, like if I feel more contractions than usual. It takes quite a while to find just the right place for the heart rate monitors for each of the babies since they are so wiggly. Sometimes I have it on for 2 or more hours before they get all the info. they need, and I get pretty annoyed.) But I was fine and I told KC he could go back to work and I'd be okay here with my mom. I'm so glad she is here during this transition. It helps KC to feel okay leaving me to go to work, and helps me so much to have a familiar face in all this new territory while he is gone. (I do feel bad that she has to be here all day, but she'd never complain. She insists she doesn't mind at all, and is in fact happy to be here knowing everything is fine. I just love her.)

I started to become more comfortable with my surroundings after a while, and my doctor even came to check up on me a couple times. A staff from the NICU came to tell us what to expect, and was very optimistic that I'd made it this far. We might take a tour of the NICU for KC to get used to the idea of being there. I used to work here when I took baby pictures, so I've been there lots of times. It will be a lot different when it's my babies in there though.

My first meal left here left much to be desired, but I didn't have a menu yet, so I didn't get to choose what I wanted. Now I have a multitude of choices, and I'm learning what and what not to order. It's actually not so bad, but it is nice to have snacks from home. We can put stuff in their fridge if we need as well. KC came back that night with some necessities, including my own clothes (blast those hospital gowns), my laptop, my water mug, and a few other things to get me through the night. We have made new lists every day, and slowly this room is feeling more like a temporary home, and less like a scary place with strangers all around me. It amazing what your own clothes, and your own pillows can do for you. It may not be so bad after all.

That first night, I told KC and mom that I was fine by myself for the night, since they weren't really prepared to spend the night. It was a little weird and sad to be all alone here, but it was my choice, I managed, and they arrived first thing in the morning. KC slept over the second night, and it was nice to see his sweet face in the morning. They are great sports about coming back and forth everyday, and I think we'll get the hang of this.

So let's focus on the positives. Mom and I had a fun day together yesterday. There was a cool lightning storm for us to watch, during which we played a few rounds of Quiddler. I get unlimited amounts of crunchy ice, and all the time in the world to read books, and watch movies to my heart's content. The staff is not intrusive at all, and I feel like they come pretty promptly when called. Another kind of fun thing is this contraption they put on my legs to prevent blood clots. Ir gets wrapped it around my calves and pumps air in and out, like a little massage. I just put it on whenever I want. Oh and, my doctors are very friendly, and will come in and just chat with me for a while. Just now I had a conversation with one, Dr. Pinkert, and after all the medical stuff was covered, he just sat on the couch in here and talked with me for quite a while. He's quite the candid fellow. He went on all about how he's also from the west, Arizona, and he got to talking all about Mormons, how he had tons of friends that are members, how he dated one, how gorgeous the temples are, and he even knew all the lingo (garments, wards, missions, Moroni, stakes-it was like he was a member himself). He carried on most of the conversation. I told him it was weird for me to hear a non-member talk so familiarly about the church since here it's more of a foreign subject. We were laughing and having a great time. He also said I am allowed to have occasional wheel chair rides outside as long as I'm not contracting a lot, and feeling okay. That sounds so great, since I've been staring at the same four walls for days. He just told me to hold off on the smoking, the jokester. More importantly he feels like we'll easily get to our next big milestone, 28 weeks next Saturday, and probably a lot beyond that. He, and all the other doctors in the practice are all so great at making us feel like we are their only patients and that they have all the time in the world for us. That kind of bedside manner is hard to come by.

I was given yet another new medication, Indocin, due to too much contracting (this stubborn uterus of mine) and it seemed to work for a while, but they are upping the dose to see if it will keep working, and things will calm down. But other than that, the outlook is hopeful, and even if the babies were born now, they have a great chance of being just fine. Sometimes I forget that this is all out of my hands. I am doing all I can to keep these babies safe. And with this great care we are receiving, and most importantly Heavenly Father watching over us, I am trying to keep my faith intact. I try to keep reminding myself that everything is going to happen how it's supposed to and it's all out of my hands. My mom often reminds me that even if it's hard, sometimes all I need is a particle of faith, and from there it takes over, and I can learn to rely completely on the Lord. It takes a lot pressure off our heads. I just hope I can remember that in the most trying of times.

So these posts always end up being so long, and so all over the place. Maybe I'll include some pictures when my camera is done charging. But like I said before, it's just my way to get everything out of my head, and down for the record. Hopefully things will stay calm around here, and I won't have much to write about except how excited I am to hold my little babies. That thought keeps me going through every hurdle we come to. They are totally worth every pill/medication, every contraction, every itchy/stingy stretch mark, every backache, and, well you get the idea. I'll do anything for my little ones.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure little baby B had hiccups a couple times. Hee hee.

16 comments:

Melissa said...

Is there some part of you that is a little relieved to be in the hospital? As terrible as it is, I remember that is how I felt when they sent me last pregnancy. And though the monitors are uncomfortable, I enjoyed it much more than trying to count kicks and worry on my own at home. I am 27 weeks today too and noticed on my update that it said my baby has a 90% chance of survival if born now. Those are pretty good odds for me. You are so amazing for having this all on your first pregnancy. The NICU is a little weird with all its beeps and monitors but I have to say it's also a nice place to send too tiny babies. Keep being patient and in good spirits. I love your blog updates. Hope you don't mind that I read.

Sarah said...

It is interesting to hear this from the patient side - I totally know what you mean though. I hope you aren't miserable! Thank goodness you have a kind, supportive family! If it makes you feel better - 1 hour isn't too bad considering. I have known it to take 2 hours for 20 minutes of information on triplets

Amber said...

I am so glad that your mom is there with you for this big change. Hang in there you are awesome and have a great hubby. Keep us posted and good job staying positive!

Unknown said...

i'm glad to hear you're safe and sound... well, you know what i mean... in the hospital. although, it's got to be tough being stuck there all the time. it sounds like things are going ok considering the circumstances, and we will keep you and the babies in our prayers! hang in there!

Janice said...

Reading this just made me feel a whole lot better. Keep up with the updates! I am so thankful for those doctors. And Janice Graham! Hugs and blessings to you both. The word is out for more prayers - blessings for you and A B C are requested daily many more times than you will ever realize.

Angela @ Canned Time said...

How funny you are back at Holy Cross NICU..........glad you're not at PG actaully. The mean nurse manager there quit so hopefully they won't rush you out of your room after the births!
I'm going to Salt Lake and Denver for a week but would love to visit when I get back if you're still there.....take great care of yourself. Janet Pope quit the DM position with Growing Family by the way but she said recently that the photographers there were doing very well...........

Brian said...

Hang in there! I am so glad your mom is able to be out there with you now. It is incredible what modern medicine can do to help you and your little ones along. I am glad that you are being watched over very carefully now, and look forward to each milestone you pass, helping your little ones to grow that much bigger and stronger!

Jenni said...

Hi Emily, I just has to comment because I know how fantastic the Holy Cross NICU is! I had a high risk pregnancy with my little Nina and the reason I stayed with my doctors was because they delivered at Holy Cross and her chances of going to the NICU were high (I started down the preterm labor road at 17 weeks). I delivered 2 babies there actually and even though neither ended up in the NICU (Nina was born a month early but didn't need any special care) I always felt reassured by the fact that it had such a good reputation. Anywho, you probably know all about their reputation and all, but know I'm thinking about you and wishing you the best! You are so strong and courageous and your babies are lucky that you're their mommy!! (BTW this is Jenni Cami's friend:))

Cami said...

Thank you for this informative post! It sounds like your hospital time is looking up. I'm glad mom is there to keep you company and play games with you. I wish I was there to bring you games and books and visit you! Lame, as always.

Jann said...

I am thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. If you need anything, please let me know. I would love a chance to come see you if you are up to visitors.

Woods said...

You are so amazing! I can't even imagine all the changes you are going through every second! You are so positive about everything. I know everything will work out for you because you have faith in the Lord. Stay strong and we will be praying our hearts out for you and those three amazing babies. We love you and KC so much. Keep us updated and please let us know if there is anything we can do. hang in there.

Unknown said...

Oh I am so glad to hear that things are still good. You just hang in there! Im glad you mom is there to help isn't it amazing that family ends up being there at the times you need them most?! you, your mom and casey are amazing! This post makes me cry because even though I was not quite in the position you are it just brings me back to almost a year ago and the day I had the girls and them getting rushed away and the emotions I had after just having two babies. but I just remember having to have faith that everything was going to be ok. hang in there you are one of the strongest people i know! you are in my thoughts and prayers love ya!

Lindsey said...

I love reading all of your posts. You have such an awesome attitude and KC seems like such a trooper. We are glad your mom is there to keep you company. Wish you the best and cant wait to hear more!

Susan said...

I sure hope having the crazy girls and myself visiting earlier in the week didn't make things get worse!! :)
Sounds like you're taking this with such a great attitude. Thanks for updating us. See you soon!

Unknown said...

good for you two. Praying for you.

jeri said...

I do love reading your blog - you are such a happy and positive person. Good luck to all 5 of you!