Sunday, August 16, 2009

Slowly but surely.

That's how I feel about the way time passes on bedrest. It feels so slow at times, but a new day always manages to approach, and before you know it, another week is upon you. But before I go on, I want to say a huge CONGRATULATIONS to my brother Drew, and my new sister-in-law Julie!! Who doesn't love a new sister?! They got married yesterday, and I couldn't be happier for them. My mom was so sweet to keep me posted on the days happenings as if I was there, even as busy as she was. She made me feel like I was part of the festivities, and my grandma even said she felt my presence there. So sweet. I hope Drew knows I would've been there if there was any tiny possibility. But with these babies lives in my hands, I'm sure he understood. It was so weird to be here alone most of the day, knowing about all the hustle and bustle that was going on over there. I heard he looked dashing, and she looked gorgeous, and it was a wonderful celebration. I can't wait to see the pictures, and you can bet there will be some posted here, as soon as they become available. I love you guys!

So now I shall get to the update. We were busy for a few days there, but things have since calmed, and all is well. I'm always up for a little excitement and change in routine now and then, as long as the my body can handle it. We had another appointment on Wednesday, during which they said that I am still looking stable thanks to the meds and bedrest, and the babies are growing as they should. They are right on schedule, all weighing within a few ounces of 2 lbs. which I was very happy to hear about. The little guy is still a few ounces behind the others, but at least he is staying consistent. That's important. They are very active, their fluid looks good, and their heartbeats are normal. What more can a mommy ask for?

So the doctor decided it was time to get the steroid shots to help develop their lungs more rapidly. It's a pretty standard option for anyone experiencing signs of pre-term labor, and is a huge help if babies are born premature. They call it a safety net, so the lungs are one thing they don't have to deal with as much if the babies need special care when they are born. They kept letting us know how much the babies will benefit from this, so I was happy to take that step. It's amazing how they have discovered things like this, but they know that they are talking about. I feel really great knowing we are doing everything we can for these little loves of ours. And we just hit 26 weeks! Every Saturday that we hit a new week marker is a huge relief to me. I can't wait until we're at a point that I'd feel more safe if something happened and they'd have to be immediately delivered. I feel like 30-32 weeks would be that time for me, and we are only several weeks from that point. I can do this! Contractions are staying within threshold range, and I'm feeling pretty good most of the time (especially when baby boy B stays off that nerve that makes it hard to walk).

After our appointment, We said goodbye to KC's mom and he took her to the the airport. She sure had a busy week taking care of us, but her help was greatly appreciated, and it was so sweet of her to take time from her busy life to help us out. KC probably got the biggest break of all, with all the cleaning/organizing being done, and the meals being lovingly prepared and ready when he got home from work. It had been a while since he's had that luxury. And I am happy to say that My mom will also be staying with us for a couple weeks, starting on Tuesday. We are so grateful for our families that are so willing to dedicate their time to us. So grateful.

So anyway, the shots were pretty simple. You have to get two of them, 24 hours apart. On Thursday, I had to go to the doctors office again to have the first shot administered. It's a little silly to go all the way there, since I had the meds, and I'm sure I have some spare needles around here somewhere. We are injection pros over here. But rules are rules. My friend Jan was going to stop by and visit, so I just asked her if she wouldn't mind running me to the office so KC wouldn't have to miss a couple hours of work for a little shot. She graciously agreed, and I loved seeing her, Wade, and Iris again. They stayed in the car as I quickly got the shot, and Iris was a little disappointed that I came out without any babies in my arms. She thought I was going to have them that day. What a funny girl. I told her that I wished I was that simple. Jan then offered to pick us up some lunch. A hot Potbelly's sandwich with salty chips, cold juice, and potato salad never tasted so good. We got the kids some chicken nuggets, and ate and chatted in the car as I reclined in her big, comfy, Expedition seats. A great way to kill a couple hours on bedrest. She was so nice to take time from her busy life to help me out, and I loved catching up with them.

A couple more girl friends, Becky and Merinda, came over that night to hang out so KC could get some after-hours work in. We talked for hours. I have really missed seeing my friends, so I was very touched that they came over for just to chill with me. I am one spoiled girl on bedrest. I hope I can pay it forward someday.

On Friday, I had to get the second shot, and a blood test, so KC took a couple hours off work to run me all over the place. So steroid mission accomplished. I got to leave the house THREE TIMES this week people. It has been a while since that happened. We were also pleased to have the Millers over that night. They brought a delicious lasagna dinner, and we were thoroughly entertained by funny 2 year old Nathan, and 6 week old Caitlin (Sp? Sorry Molly, not sure how to spell it.) What great friends I have. I am constantly getting phone calls, emails, letters, and visits, and feel very well looked after, and prayed for.

So, see what I was talking about with all the events going on? But even as much as we had going on this week, I am still pleased to say that the pregnancy looks pretty uneventful, which is great news to us. Let's hope the contactions stay low, and the babies stay in for at least another few weeks. Seems easy enough. Ha!

10 comments:

Corinne said...

Woot! I love when everything is boring. I love it and want it to stay boring for long times :) THEN we get babies and wonderful chaos. Perfect :)

Woods said...

I have been horrible at keeping up with your updates! I didn't even know you were on bedrest until my mom told me. She loved your sweet message by the way. You are amazing. I will have to call you to chat and get your mind off the whole bedrest thing. I love you and hang in there. It's so worth it. I know you know that it's just a lot of work. I thought it was so much work being pregnant with one!! Good luck. I will call you soon!

Unknown said...

wow, I can't believe you are already up to 26 weeks!!

um, I have been meaning to call, but I don't have your phone number anymore...long story, but email it to me or give me a call when you have some time:) We need to catch up!

Four Stevens said...

Hey Emily (this is Steven Jones)-- Luci was looking at your blog and I read some of your posts with her. I hope everything goes great with the babies and that you stay sane while you're on bed rest!!

Say hi to KC.

ps: I started a blog a while ago-- fourstevens.blogspot.com, if you're interested.

Cami said...

Sounds like you manage to stay busy. I'm glad you got out this week. Yay for friends!

Susan said...

I'm so glad you're working so hard to keep those babies growing and healthy! They're lucky to have such a dedicated mama. Sorry to not be a more dedicated friend. We pray for you daily or more, and think of you often. Please let me know when I can be your chauffeur!

melody said...

I was so glad you were able to get out of the house a few times. I keep laughing about what Iris said.

Unknown said...

Im so happy to hear that the babies are thriving well! you are doing a great job! Glad you could get out a little too. What great friends you have a family! I was probably one of these most grateful to mine and jeremy's family when we had the twins. What amazing people to have in our lives. I promise you I am going to call soon I have been a little busy lately. but the next little while are going to slow down and I may need an adult to talk to with me not going anywhere for a while too! I cant believe you are 26 weeks oh it will be here before you know it! You just hang in there! and I think you are doing an awesome job and have such a great attitude! keep up the good work, you too casey~!

Anonymous said...

Dang girl! Sorry about the boring part, but I'm excited for you that it sounds like you'll have your babies before too much longer!

Deb said...

hi - i'm a friend of cami's. i think we've met a couple of times, but i don't think i've commented on your blog before.

anyway, my sister has 3 year old twins who tried to come early. she was on bedrest in the hospital for weeks until they came at 30 wks, so i've been there vicariously. :) it's tough, all the stress and worry and waiting, but so worth it. hang in there!

(and i didn't know that you know luci! she's one of my favorite people!)