Saturday, August 08, 2009

Ups and downs.

So I had another post written in my drafts that was way too emotionally charged, so I'm glad I waited to post it, since now I can see how irrational I was feeling, a hopefully do better with this one. Things are going okay around here. Last weekend we had a few things that got me pretty irritated, and really worried, but I know it's just part of this high risk pregnancy process, and I'm trying to get used to it. It all started when my contractions started to creep up to a lot more than I was having before. If they are over the limit that my doctor determines as my threshold, they make me re-monitor after another shot of medication. I had to do this three times on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, I think. It just gets really nerve wracking when you are supposed to be under a certain number, and I can just keep feeling them come, and there is nothing I can do about it. After hours of monitoring, and not getting the results I want, I just feel so worn out, and feel like my body is failing the babies or something. (It took me back to the days when I was doing IVF and they wouldn't let us move on because my hormones were all wrong. Again, I couldn't do anything about it. Completely frustrating.) They threatened to send me to the hospital a few times if things didn't calm down. Luckily I always managed to have just few enough contractions to keep me home. But that could change any day. It's just a lot for my emotions to handle. I freaked out a few times earlier this week when I felt like I had just had it! I know I am supposed to stay calm, but when things go awry, I think back to all that we've been through to get here, and how much is at stake. Sometimes it's hard to keep being optimistic, you know? Sometimes a little break down calms the nerves anyway. Pent up emotions never helped anybody. So I consider it therapeutic, not irrational, hormonal behavior.

Anyway, I know we are in for a lot of hurdles like this in the next several months. This was just the first one, so I was a little taken off guard. They have since upped the medication dosage a little, which is what they are prepared to do, and they uppped my threshold too. I guess they think I can handle more contractions than what they originally thought without doing any damage. They said we have a lot of room to play with the meds if we need to, they just don't want to do it too soon if they don't have to. It seems the change in the medication is working, and my numbers are lower for now. And with the higher threshold, I don't have to remonitor as often, which is nice. They seem optimistic that we'll get these babies to a safe zone before they are born. I had an appointment on Tuesday and they are still happy to see that the therapy is working, and we need to keep staying optimistic as well. They did observe that I looked pretty spent. I told them that I was just getting a little stressed at times, and my nurse said soon these contractions will be second nature, and I'll relax a little. I'm probably just getting a little miffed because of the fact that I've been cooped up for about 2 1/2 weeks now and it's starting to get to me. Some days I tell KC that I really might go insane. Partly from the worry, and party from the cabin fever. Even though 25 weeks seems like an accomplishment, it still seems so early, and it really feel like we still have a long way to go, but I'm sure it will pass quickly enough. We've been through a lot more extended periods of hard times, and we made it through (though I felt like I was going insane then too). This should be easy, right? Ha.

Well, something that has really helped this past week, is that KC's mom Janice flew in on a last minute free flight she had to use. She got here on Wednesday night, and is staying for a whole week. Not only does she help me a lot during the day, but KC is sure getting a break since she is preparing us lovely meals. Not to mention all the vacuuming, bathroom scrubbing, laundry doing, and junk organizing she's been doing. What a load off!

I have also thoroughly enjoyed visits from friends. They have been so kind to donate their time (and books and dvds) to little old me. My family is so kind to chat through all my long phone calls, and I appreciate them calling me as well.

And I can't finish this post without mentioning that the babies looked great at our last appointment. They are so sweet and I love seeing them as often as I get to. All of this is making me even more anxious to see them outside of me, and to know that they are going to be okay. I just picture myself kissing, and holding them all the time, and just being so so so grateful that they are mine. I have had this fantasy for so long, that I can't believe we are merely weeks from the reality. Oh how I hope my babies make it to me safely.

So blogging isn't so easy for me. It is pretty uncomfortable to type, and usually takes me a week of typing and saving, and typing, and saving, before I am ready to post. So that's why they all end up long and drawn out like this. So I hope you had fun reading the lastest. We really are okay. I hope I made it sound like that. This bed rest just gives me too much time to think!

12 comments:

Sarah said...

I am glad to hear that your mom-in-law came. What a savior! I am glad to hear you are still at home. The insurance agreed to keep you home? (Seems silly not to - the hospital is much more expensive.) I know it is hard, but try not to get too stressed - that can cause contractions too!
LOVE YOU! Tell Janice and KC thanks for me!

Corinne said...

Oh friend. May these last weeks pass by quickly and those sweet ones are in your arms. I can't imagine the cabin fever - I'm proud of all you are doing. Call me when you need me :)

Unknown said...

That is so great that Janice could come stay for awhile to help and have someone to visit! I am sure it is so hard but you hang in there it will be here before you know it! I get cabin fever too with Jeremy being gone working and staying couped up in the house it is hard! but you are super strong hang in there! I will call you sometime next week to chat! :)

Kristy said...

Janice is very sweet. I am so glad you and KC have someone out to help right now. Know that we are all thinking of you 5 and praying they are all delivered in the best health possible. I know a single pregnancy is much different than a tripple, but I had contractions about every 3-4 minutes from 28 weeks until I delivered Mayzie at 39 and it was definitely stressful. I can't imagine that times 3. Good luck and you should join farm town on facebook. It will pass a little of your time! www.zone.com has lots of games too.

Melissa said...

All that worrying and cabin fever sounds miserable. I hope the next few weeks pass smoothly and all goes well with your babies. You deserve the best. You have to keep posting otherwise I'll start worrying. I'm all caught up in the saga now.

Linda said...

I am so glad that Janice was able to come and help you, please know that Tom and I are praying earnestly for all of you daily. We love you!

Marianne said...

Hang in there! in a matter of weeks you'll have 3 new baby quilts :)

Cami said...

That is a lot to deal with. I'm sorry I have not been available on the phone much! I will call you soon. I am always handy with book recommendations, and I'd be happy to send you some!

Janine said...

I can't imagine how tough it is to just pass the time for you right now. It is hard when your body has a task so big you can't do anything else! I am glad you are getting so much help, and wish we could do something more for you.

Alicia said...

Glad to hear that things are looking better than they were--we've been hoping and praying for you! Janice has always been a great second mom to me, I can just imagine all the great help she is. Have all of the breakdowns you want--you're under a ton of pressure! I feel like I'm always losing it myself, and I'm only working on one baby and a normal pregnancy! Good luck and lots of love from Orem! P.S. - got a body pillow - thank you for the great recommendation! : )

Standard of Liberty said...

Emily, you are handling everything so well. Keep up the good work. Love, Mom
I'll see in a week!

Amber said...

Man I wish I was there to come and visit. Hang in there it will all be worth it. You sure look cute. Glad you have such great support!