Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Reminiscing.

While Mom was here (Yeah, she’s gone. I don’t want to talk about it.) I had a few little excursions planned for us. I had been wanting to take the babies to see the all the doctors and nurses, etc. that have helped us along the way.  So one day, we finally made our way to the hospital where all of our old friends are.

First we stopped at the Greater Washington Maternal Fetal Medicine and Genetics office. That is the team that helped me through the high risk pregnancy from the beginning. I was seen by all four of the doctors, and had grown to love all of them. I also dealt very personally with the head nurse, Elise, on the left. She really pulled strings for us, making sure we had the very best, and promptest care. The only Doctor we were able to get a picture with was Dr. Manly, the woman standing next to me, which is appropriate, since she was the one paged in the middle of the night to deliver the babies. They were all so sweet, and excited to see how the little chubs are doing.  It was a great reunion. I really miss that team.  027

We also were able to see one of my favorite nurses in the High Risk Perinatal department, Asha. She always requested to have me on her shift because we had such a great time together. I was delighted to find out she was working the day we were visiting. It was fun to have my mom there too, since she knew some of the nurses as well as I did. We still quote some funny things Asha has said to this day.030

And of course, our beloved NICU staff. I couldn’t wait to see some of the nurses that we grew so close to. They couldn’t get enough of the babies and they funny faces. They were getting a little antsy and tired, and really wanted to crawl around on the ground, but other than they, they were all smiles. I was so happy to see a few of those familiar faces. It gave me a little bit of closure, I think. Everything was always so rushed and crazy last year, I feel like I never was able to have any proper goodbyes. It was such a wonderful day.034

And we just had to stop in the healing garden, where I spent my luxurious wheelchair time. How much had changed since the last time I was there.036

And while I’m talking about Doctors, I might as well share a couple more appointments the babies had. We had our one year (and follow up to the asthma fun) appointment last week. After my mom, KC’s mom, and I waited WAY too long, they were finally seen and were all deemed healthy, happy babies. Alex is still the biggest being 23 1/2 lbs., Bennett a couple ounces under 22 lbs., and petite little Ruby coming in at a little over 20 lbs. Very consistent in the weight department. I just hope Alex isn’t always known as the fat twin. They got five shots each, which was very sad, but must be done. Looks like Alex knew it was coming in last pic.018021025026027

They also had a follow-up at the Ophthalmologist, to check on their eyes. A lot of preemies have to get check out for the first couple years. The waiting at this appointment wasn’t nearly as bad, which is good because it was only my mom and me, cause KC had a work thing, and all the visitors were either gone, or hadn’t come yet. I love this office, because we always just wait right outside the door in the beautiful atrium area. This time it was especially nice because the babies had a blast sliding around on the slippery floor, chasing after their balls, and enjoying the echo they voices made. We even brought their lunch and fed them out there. The staff was so nice, and thankfully they didn’t have to use the speculum/torture device they used when they were newborns. They all had speedy eye exams, and we were told all their eyes look normal and great. Ahhh, music to my ears. We’ll see them one more time in a year, and then we are finished with this chapter.  041 043 049 050

We had also planned to go see the team at my fertility clinic another day, which I was very excited out, but with their colds, all the festivities, and more visitors, it just didn’t happen while mom was here. We’ll have to work something out during one of KC’s lunch breaks or something, but I just HAVE to show them these little faces that make me so happy. They played a MAJOR role in bringing them here, so it’s the least I could do.

Our family has been extremely fortunate to have been given the greatest of care. And we have prefect, sweet babies to prove it. We really couldn’t ask for more (except maybe shorter waiting times at the pediatrician.) Thank you to everyone!

6 comments:

SassyMama said...

Wow! You were busy!

Yes, I agree, NICU and fertility clinic visits are MUCH FUN, and I know the staff love to see their embryos/preemies all healthy.

As far as I am concerned, there should be an express line at the pediatricians for high-order multiples...

Drew said...

OMGoodness, I miss those babies sooooo much. So glad they're healthy and happy!

melody said...

Comparing the picture of you pregnant in the Healing Garden then with your three happy babies is choking me up a little. It really has been quite the year.

Chad and Bree Fowles said...

How fun to go visit old friends! Bet you don't miss living in the Hospital though! Darling babies. Happy Birthday!!!

Matt said...

Good retrospective. Amazing how things have changed for you in a year. And for the kids too. Hard to believe they were that small. Plus, R's smile is the cutest.

Cami said...

It's so fun to go see those great people who help you out like that! We went back to visit the school while we were there, and it was SO great. I'm glad you got to make the rounds.