Tuesday, September 07, 2010

My Happy Wheezer.

So, I will now continue on with our sickness adventures. On Friday Ruby looked a lot better, but the boys still sounded terrible, wheezing so loudly. I didn’t like that at all, so as soon as they were taking calls, I contacted the pediatrician and told them the haps. They told me to bring all three in immediately, which I did. The babies were acting fine and happy, so I didn’t think we needed to rush, but I followed instructions and mom and I made our way to the office.

When the doctor saw them, she said that Ruby was fine, but the boys were definitely wheezing, and she could see that their lungs were retracting a little, and wanted to treat them with a nebulizer. The thought of trying to hold a mask on the boys’ faces for 10 minutes sounded nearly impossible (little did I know what was to come). They let us take off the masks and just hold the medicinal mist in the faces, which wasn’t so bad. It was a little tricky when Ruby started to get bored, but I’ve learned a lot about multi-tasking this past year, so we made it. The doctor cleared Alex, saying he sounded better, but she was still concerned about Bennett. We started another round, and this time the mask had to go on, which he didn’t like at all. He started in the stroller to give my tired arms a break, but soon settled down for a moment, stopped trying to rip off the mask, and even smiled a little. Mom took the other two for a walk, and I snuggled my little boy as he inhaled the medicine. 027024Again, the doctor listened and still didn’t like what she heard. She could see that he was happy, so she knew he wasn’t struggling too much, but wanted to fix it before it got worse. She calls babies like this Happy Wheezers. She gave us a nebulizer to use at home, but also wanted him to go to the ER so get a more intense treatment. So, I dropped off mom and the others, and off to the hospital we went, after picking up a bottle for him, and a sandwich for me. Thankfully he slept through all the driving, the poor exhausted boy

Luckily when you have a wheezing baby, and your doctor calls in advance, and it’s not after hours, you get in pretty quickly (relatively speaking). So we made it to our curtained area and got checked out. They still saw the retractions and decided to do a heavy-duty nebulizer treatment. Ugh. But this time it had to run for an entire hour. (And I thought 10 minutes was bad. Ha.) The doctor said we’d be on our way as soon as it was over.

I wasn’t sure what was in store as we began. It seemed like he was curious as first, but as I kept him close to me, keeping his usually-busy hands away from the mask, he knew it wasn’t fun anymore. He’d scream for a while, then just give up and go limp, sometimes looking up at me with his sad eyes wondering why I was doing such a mean thing to him. I hadn’t slept well at all the night before, due to all the wakefulness from my sick babies, so I was rather exhausted myself. I pulled every trick I had from my bag, feeling not at all prepared. He loved looking at books, scrolling through the pictures and videos on the camera, and the doctor even offered to take one of us both. He also loved when I brushed his hair with a soft baby brush. 041049When the hour (or more) was finally over, Bennett was so happy, and jittery from the meds. But he was also tired, he wouldn’t even hold his bottle.050 We were both relieved and ready to get home.  But there was a shift change, so we had to wait another hour, or so it seemed, to be seen. The new doctor said he was still sounding pretty bad. I almost cried when she said we’d have to repeat the treatment. I really didn’t think either of us could do it again. We just decided to get it over with, and luckily this one wasn’t as long, only about 30-40 minutes. He went through the same cycle: scream (to the point of sweating, and turning almost purple), become too tired to move, try to take it off, scream. . . We were definitely spent. He was so happy to have that thing off his little face. 055058(The toothbrush is a new favorite toy.)

After several hours in the ER, they finally let us go, with a few prescriptions (not including two from my regular pediatrician), an inhaler, and all kinds of nebulizer equipment. She told me to go ahead and treat Alex too, since they are identical. I was tired, and happy to go home, and so was Bennett. He fell asleep as soon as we hit the road. 068

So, we begin a new adventure with asthma thrown into craziness.  We’ve been doing treatments every 4-6 hours for both the boys until they are over this sickness (though not during the night), which is much easier in the comfort of your own home than in a boring ER cubical. They are still both pretty wheezy, and all three are coughing like chain smokers, but I feel like we are in the home stretch. I understand that asthma is a pretty common problem, and not always serious, but it’s new to me, and slightly overwhelming. But if it will keep my kiddos happy and healthy, I’ll do whatever is required of me. 006 (My other Happy Wheezer.)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor babies.

Millie LOVES her toothbrush as well. She mostly chews on the wrong end too! e

Michelle and Cisco said...

Oh this breaks my little heart! such sad eyes but so cute when they smile. Way to go, that would be completely exhausting keeping that on them for that long.

SassyMama said...

Oh, I have a happy wheezer so I understand the stress! Sounds like you are doing a great job. I hope they gave you Xopenex instead of albuterol. If not, have them change as it will make them much less jittery:).

My niece had very frequent nebulizer treatments and her mother would sit her in front of a show and give her cheerios to push through the sides of the mask so she could eat. It made her perfectly happy to have a treatment. Something to keep in mind for the future. For now, I sure hope they get feeling better soon!

Andrea said...

You look like you are holding up pretty good. I am glad that the kids are starting to get a little better and that you have the info that you need. I also have asthma babies... well mine are now older but I do remember hold them down and putting the mask on them. Keeping you in my prayers and you cute little ones.

Janice said...

OH that must have been so hard to see them cry under the masks. You need a medal for holding up so well yourself! Love you all.

Cami said...

That is the lamest. I've seen those nebulizers in action, and NO kid likes them! I hope the treatments are over soon.

Melissa said...

Ah yes, the nebulizer. I have one of those and we do Xopenex all the time on Christian and Andy. The saddest was when Andy had asthma the first time. They gave me an inhaler and a few days later Jeff told me I'd been doing it wrong and Andy hadn't been getting any medication. Sad! He could have suffocated!!! That trip to the ER and the nebulizer for two hours sounds exhausting and emotional. I feel sorry for you two.

Unknown said...

Oh goodness!! Having sick babies is so hard, and having three at a time? yikes.

Poor little Bennett, what a trooper to sit in the ER for so long with those treatments.

And geez, you are quite the trooper Em!

melody said...

I still can't believe that crazy day you had. Those pictures are so pitiful!

Unknown said...

glad the doctors know what to do. glad to hear they are feeling better.

The Starkers said...

Cute, cute babies! In his car seat his buckle isn't high enough which worries me! It should be pushed up to armpit level that way if you do get in an accident his shoulders cant pop out the top of the straps. Also, make sure you can't pinch any of the material in the straps or it's too loose. Your babies are so precious I just thought I would point that out. I honestly see this more often that not with car seats, but it's something I learned having 2 girls.

Anonymous said...

My 6 months old baby girl is wheezig due to bronchiolitis.The doctor said she's a happy wheezer. Is it asthma too? Will it stop one day? YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOURSELF Madam.