Friday, September 03, 2010

Three colds, One mom

It’s inevitable. When one gets sick, they all get sick. There’s really no point in trying to avoid it, so I just go about my day as normal and let them share spoons, toys, and bottles. Might as well get it over with. We’ve had such great luck with sicknesses when it comes to these babies, so I can’t complain too much, but when there are three colds to nurse, it’s just a little tricky. I should've known when Ruby was getting cozy the other day with another baby sporting a drippy nose, that we’d have it soon enough. I love cuddling my sick/clingy/needy babies, but it’s hard when there is more than one begging for your undivided attention (thank goodness Nana is here, though sometimes only mommy will do). Wiping constantly runny noses is like an Olympic event, trying to catch them all before it gets everywhere, or wrestling them while trying to chip away at what has built up over night. Lately we have been giving them two baths a day, morning and night, not only because they have become the messiest little eaters (why do kids love to spit food into their hands and then rub it in their hair?), but I also think it helps clear out their sinuses and gently clean off those encrusted faces. And they love the water, so win, win. (Ruby has a raspy voice lately, which is the cutest and so sad at the same time.)

And of course it happened right when they were in a very good sleep routine, taking two great naps, and going to bed without a complaint. We have had some very wakeful nights and naptimes, and I just can’t help but bend the rules a little when I hear the pitiful coughing and labored breathing coming from the nursery. I have to admit I like the excuse for a little extra snuggling. 001

They have been incredibly sweet under the circumstances. They continue to laugh, play, clap, scoot, crawl, and eat well. My brain just starts to rattle a little when they all start that chalkboard-scratching, monotone whine that just won’t quite not matter what show, toy, or food you use to distract them. Oh well. This should be over in a couple days, I hope. I already have a mental list of everything that needs to be sterilized and washed when this has all blown over. Then I can rest easy. And TGIF! We have Daddy for the whole (long) weekend!

(Update: The above topic just got a lot more complicated, but this draft was already written and I don’t feel like changing it, so it is to be continued. . .)

I might as well show you some (A LOT) more pictures, while you’re here.

My dad came to visit last weekend. He entertained the babies and us while he was here, and we miss him. He went on lots of errands with us, which is a huge help when you have lots of big babies to lift ( Of course one or two of us couldn’t stayed home with the kids, but what is the fun of that?). An extra set of arms really makes a difference.

R064060

B062

A (Love those top teeth.)065

Shopping (this was at Trader Joes.)106

The Mall (where the babies were very happy to eat some little bites of cinnamon soft pretzels from Papa.)067

The main event for Dad coming was the huge Glenn Beck Restoring Honor Rally on the National Mall. Mom wrote all about their experience here. It sounded inspiring, and rejuvenating. SO many people showed up for such a good cause. I’m so glad they were able go and support.

Other miscellaneous happenings:

Ruby is climbing up on anything she can reach these days, which is very hazardous, but cute too, of course. When she wants something, she’ll find a way to get it. My sweet baby girl looks so old.022094074

Alex is constantly clapping. And he graduated from just doing the motion, to actually making the cutest little clapping sounds with hit fat little hands.

The Tweedles again. Identical, for sure. 010

Alex made such a mess, I just gave up and put the bowl on his head. Two can play at this game.038 I don’t think he liked it very much.036

This is dangerous, as it’s hard to keep an eye on everyone to make sure, ahem, messes are prevented (Ruby got too far away to avoid that, and was soon sitting in a big puddle after this picture was taken.) But how could I resist getting some quick shots of these chubby cheeks?020 029

They all are in a book-loving stage. It’s so fun to see them turn the pages and smile at the pictures. Bennett is the bookworm here. 050

Bennett wanted to make a fashion statement, and turn his hat to the side, so we did the same for Alex.029

Alex really knows how to relax while shopping. Looks cozy.040

This probably could’ve been broken down into several different posts, but oh well. I’ve been slacking on the blogging job, and just wanted to catch up.

I probably won’t get to documenting all their milestones equally on the blog, but I hope I at least give each of them equal face time as they learn different things at their own paces. It’s a lot of work to keep up with three rapidly changing individuals. Hopefully I can stay on top of it!

7 comments:

melody said...

Oh! I hear you. I cringe when Gabe plants his face, runny nose and all, into one of my nice throw pillows or the couch for the seventeenth time that day. So good luck with three sickies! Yikes.

That last picture of Alex is hilarious. And Jonny and I loved looking at all of them just now. Don't have time to watch the videos at this moment, so I certainly have something to look forward to. Can't wait.

Oh yeah, and the messy food hands in the hair thing. So ridiculous! Gabe has been placed directly in tub after oatmeal a few times this week.

Jonathan and Janessa said...

Sorry they're all sick. Maggie and I have a cold too...so I feel your pain, minus 2 :) I can't believe it's almost been a year since the little cuties entered your life! I love seeing their pictures and how much they're growing...it goes way to fast doesn't it?

Janice said...

You certainly have a good attitude while facing challenging sleepless nights! Loved all the photos. Top teeth!

Anonymous said...

So sorry about those sickies. Good luck! I had a dream the other night, where I was at Costco, and I saw you with two carts and three babies. I didn't want to be one of those annoying people who stop you to talk about your babies, but I had to say hi! Anyway, that would be a fun coincidence...:)

Melissa said...

You're doing such a great job. They all look so fat and happy despite their colds. Don't they have their first birthdays coming soon? I hope you'll post pictures.

Lili and Jeff said...

Ruby looks exactly like you in the picture of her in the purple pjs! And I love the little bum-bum pictures, they are so funny. The clapping is so cute! I love watching all these videos and seeing the cute pictures. It makes me excited for all the milestones there are to look forward to. I can't believe they already have top teeth!

Cami said...

Love the tweedles!

Yeah, I love an excuse for an extra snuggle too--only since Jane's last cold, I have now had to get up and rock her several times a night. Time to re-train!