Sunday, March 13, 2011

Learning by Example

I often wonder what my kids would be like if they were born individually. In this sponge-like phase they’re in, it’s only natural that they take cues from each other. It’s interesting to see who the trendsetter is in each different circumstances, and then see how the others follow along. A lot of times I hear parents say something like “well so-and-so always did this, but my other child never even thought about that.” That isn’t the case around here. We get to deal with three curious kids at the same time, making everything in the house free game. Each of their brains thinks of new and interesting things to try, and naturally the others want to join in the fun. Sometimes it’s annoying, but other times it can actually be helpful. Here are some examples:

Ruby decided that it’s fun to hold her bottle upside down and watch puddles form on the floor. It took the boys a couple weeks to realize how fun that is, and now I find multiple puddles throughout the day. I’ve used this as an opportunity to teach them how to clean it up. Ruby can even go get the burp cloth herself, and wipe it up pretty well. I hope she doesn’t think that’s all part of a fun little game, but actually a little punishment.

They all love to be read to, or to “read” books by themselves. They also love to destroy the books they love so much. It’s definitely a favorite pastime. It’s only a matter of time after we get a new book, that it’s found in several pieces on the living room floor. I also find wads of thick paper in their mouths all day, as they tear the colorful paper from the cardboard. Now they know it’s wrong, and even hand me the slimy pieces from their mouths when I notice they are chewing on something. Not sure who started that one, but I hope they stop it soon. I’ve learned to put most books out of reach, only taking some down for reading time, and just let them play freely with the ones they’ve already damaged. I really don’t think they would’ve all discovered a love of eating books individually. There was definitely peer pressure involved here. 001

I know climbing on furniture is something probably all kids love to do. But around here, if one learns how to climb on the couch, someone else will whine and cry until they are having as much fun up there as they other(s). They might not be so adamant about getting involved in dangerous activities, if they didn’t see their siblings having so much fun climbing on a chair to reach the bookshelves. And having three chubby babies in small spaces like a wicker chair, or small bench makes it even more scary for me, as I try to prevent kids from falling onto the wood floor as they scramble over each other. The most nerve wracking thing for me is that they can now climb onto almost anything they choose, yet boys are still learning how to get down, sometimes resulting in a head hitting the floor. And sometimes they are on different pieces of furniture across the room from each other. These kids know how to wear a mommy out. You never know what they’ll decide to challenge themselves with next. 013084097(They’re fascinated with sneezing lately, which is why you’ll hear me annoyingly try to get Ruby to pretend to sneeze for the camera, like she’d been doing all morning.)

When they are in their cribs, I can tell there are some good and bad influences. It’s great when two of them are super tired and ready to sleep, cause then the third will have no one to play with and hopefully be bored enough to go right to sleep as well. But pretty often, there is some serious partying going on behind that door. A lot of times when I go in after a nap, blankets have been swapped, Ruby’s dollies have been passed around, and sometimes clothes have even been taken off. An annoying little game they played with me for a while was this: throw our blankets on the floor, cry and cry until mommy comes in and gives them back to us (because I might just happen to want a nap myself), and repeat a few more times until we get tired and go to sleep. (And sometimes they surpass their sleepy time and that nap is a goner.) Yeah, I put a stop to that pretty quick. Again, I’m not sure who instigated this naughty game, but they can blame whoever it was that they don’t get to sleep with their blanket if they throw it on the floor. I have to hand it to them though, their sleep habits have been heavenly lately. I went back into training mode a few weeks ago (got a little lazy with all the sicknesses and visitors), and after a bout 2 days of showing them who’s boss, they will usually give me two solid naps in the day, and a long silent light. I’m sure something will throw a wrench in our good routine soon, it’s just good to know my kids can relearn the good roots we started them on. Here’s how we found Alex after a nap. It’s usually just his pants that come off.055

And when it looks so fun when one throws a mashed banana, of course the others have to try it out. For some reason, when I say “no no!” they seem to think it’s funny, and just repeat it back to me. It’s all fun and games until I’m cleaning up three kids worth of peas off the floor, huh babies?

If one has a bottle, or a toy, or a snack, etc., the others always want it. The power of suggestion is strong around here. I’ve learned that if something isn’t easily shared, buy three of them, or don’t buy it at all. I got them each an identical ride-on/walker toy at the consignment store a week or two ago, thinking that although I’m going to sacrifice a lot of space in my little home for these eye sores, we have to have three (and they were only $5.50 so I couldn’t resist a new springtime toy). They do love them, but still fight over the same one if the others are out of sight. The problem is usually solved when I remind them they each have their own, but why can’t they just figure it out?066074

This may all sound like I’m being negative and annoyed, but as tricky as it is to deal with three kids in the same difficult stage, adding on to that fact that they egg each other on, they are incredibly pleasant, funny, and loving kids. And their example can also be shown in good ways.

When they see each other sign, or hear each other talk, I think it’s really motivates them to follow. They will take hints from each other, and I’ve even seen them in adorable little conversations while they play together. They play peek-a-boo, dog pile, and even tickle each other with no help from me. Several times throughout each day, I hear insane laughter come from inside their tent, from the play room , or from the nursery as they entertain each other. They love each other’s company, and have proven that time and time again.

They also have their hyper moments. Who knows what brings this about, but they can sometimes get into crazy moods and show their sudden glee with high pitched squeals over and over and over. You never know how long it will last. And one hyperactive child usually turns into two or three. It’s a madhouse for a while, but hilarious.

I love when they see someone sitting on KC’s or my lap to read or just snuggle, and they have to join in. Nothing can compare to holding three warm, little bodies you love so much. They are quite a cuddly bunch. Feeling their individual breathing, and kissing all their sweet heads makes me so happy there are all here with me right now, even if it does mean they’ll all be in the terrible twos as the same time.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this post. The power of influence is so strong with siblings...hopefully you get to see more of the good influence than the bad :)

Your kiddos are so adorable. Jack and Bianca love watching your videos!

theoldesaltbox said...

I just found your blog and I must say, I thought you were writing about MY life! My triplets are 15 months old and the sneezing thing we've gone through, and the toy stealing/sharing, oh my! I've enjoyed your blog!

SassyMama said...

Totally hear you on this one.
Yes, it is crazy and scary when they start climbing on everything. Because when I would remove one, the other two thought it was funny and would follow suit. Bwah! Unfortuntately, I still have trouble with them throwing food and sippy cups off the table after one of them starts. If you find a cure for that, please let me know!!!:)

melody said...

Yes, most of our board books look like that too. And I am almost constantly mediating between Julia and Gabe who want the same toy. Heaven help us all!

Janice Graham said...

Aah! Aah! Aah! Aah! This is too funny. Those funny kids!

Janice said...

I loved the night time giggles, the Ah! Ah! scene, and the bottle fest/ grab. Sometimes I watch with the sound off just to focus on their faces and expressions. Priceless.

ferestre pvc preturi said...

This post is great. I don’t have any kids yet, but it’s fun to see how cute they are when they’re playing together and how exhausting it can be when they do silly stuff like chewing books. But I do love kids and I am planning on having at least one. By the way, I love the videos.

Cami said...

Oh man, it's true, I'd LOVE to have another one around to keep Jane busy, but MAN, that's a double-edged sword! I can barely keep my house from being destroyed with ONE toddler! Anyway, good thing they are hilariously funny and cute.