Monday, March 21, 2011

Mini Meltdown

I have started venturing out into the world again with the kiddos! I usually just keep the kids in their stroller while Elise and Penny push the cart that we share, to not introduce any new germs, and if we do go somewhere with carts big enough for everyone, I wipe down those bad boys with disinfecting wipes until they shine. It’s a surprisingly hard adjustment for me, letting them out of our quarantine. I still act a little OCD, but in the next couple months, I’m sure I’ll be back to my old brush-off-the-bottle-that-fell-on-the-floor-and-give-it-back-to-him self. It’s so nice to have something else to do with the kids during the day. And I don’t have to sacrifice precious naptime to rush to the store. I do love having my shopping buddies again.

So, speaking of, we took the crew to our favorite wholesale warehouse on Friday. It’s been a while, and the attention and new surroundings made for some content, well-behaved kids. They were waving, and talking, and just enjoying themselves. The pretzels and samples didn’t hurt either. I also always keep what I call “the secret weapons” with me, mini suckers, if all else fails. We had a great time, bought our goods, and remembered we wanted a pizza. I usually call and order while shopping to avoid waiting later, but  I forgot. I thought a few minutes of waiting wouldn’t hurt anyone, especially if I got a churro and smoothie to share around while we waited. So we did, and after a couple minutes, the kids got restless. Lili took her cart full of kids and food out while I continued to wait. Another minute or two went by and the boys started to fight over the smoothie straw. When Bennett gets something taken away from him, you are sure to hear the saddest, most dramatic wail from his sweet little face.  And that he did in the middle of the very echoy food court for everyone in the lunch rush to hear (thank goodness our new Costco isn’t too crowded.) It was then that I took my cartful to the car, and returned to wait a few more minutes for my pizza. All of this only took place in about 10 minutes time, and the actual crying was only for about 30 seconds, but that’s all it took for me to become embarrassed, and think of all the things I could’ve done to prevent it.

I’m well aware that instances worse than this are most definitely in our future, so I’m trying to be practical, and remember that taking three babies to the store will not always result in a perfect outing. I really consider myself lucky we haven’t had any upsets up to this point. I mean they’ve been shopping with me for over 10 months, and here I am just NOW complaining about a few seconds of crying in public. I really should count my blessing here. Still, silly as it sounds, I wish I would’ve been more on my game.

I wouldn’t call myself a perfectionist by any means (ha!), but I would say there are some areas in my life that I I feel I am better at than others. Organizing my time is one of those areas. And it’s a good thing, because working around meal times, naps, etc. can get kind of tricky. I like to plan things out in the best way possible, making sure things line up just right, and be prepared for anything thrown into the plan (maybe this trait was fine-tuned while in the food business). I don’t like to be late (before the kids I was annoyingly punctual to everything—now, not so much), and get anxiety if I know I will be. My brain is always working a few hours ahead of time. If things go awry, I think of all the ways I could’ve prevented it, and beat myself up a little for not thinking of it sooner. Having these kids has given me a lot of those learning experiences. I don’t know why I thought everything would go smoothly and work out perfectly immediately after becoming a parent of triplets. Naive, I know.

I think when I take the kids out, and people find out I have triplets, I am afraid if the kids aren’t perfectly happy, or I don’t look calm and collected (which is really how it is most of the time), I’ll appear as if I don’t know what I’m doing, or people will wonder why I even considered leaving the house, given my circumstances. Or maybe it just ME I’m trying to convince myself that I have it all together. But, I really need to not care what other people might think, and I am learning that I need to relax. If I want to take my kids places, especially places other than a quick trip to the store, I have to be ready for some embarrassment and/or change in the plan, and be okay with it. It’s all part of learning what being a mom is all about. Except, I have to learn it with the possibility of three screaming toddlers, instead of one. I’m sure I’ll get there, and be one of those people that just continues to go about my business as if I don’t hear the whining coming from the cart. But as for now, I’ll keep my bag of tricks handy to avoid any small, or large, upsets in the future. Their company is worth it. 

014

7 comments:

SassyMama said...

Oh, I totally could have written this post (not as well, you understand, but I completely know what you are talking about...).

It also took me a long time before I felt comfortable putting my kids into grocery carts. Until they were about 18 months old I used those cart covers! Now I just do a quick wipe of the basket area and then wipe their hands down well afterwards... but that took some time.

It is hard to take triplets out to the store and I now don't go unless I have snack bags for them. I have gotten to the point where I am pleased with their behavior as long as we don't have a major meltdown :)

Hang in there, you are doing great!

melody said...

Yes, I totally relate to your need to plan things out just right, timing wise. You know I do the same thing. (That's why I like it when they go down to a single nap. It's easier to work around one.)

I never get tired of those double cart pictures of the four. Wish I could add my two to make six! (But I really don't go shopping much with Gabe anymore, now that he can wriggle out of the cart seat belt. Hopefully yours never learn that!)

Unknown said...

oh em I totally understand. I went down to my moms a few weeks ago and had to stop at cabelas just a really quick in and out trip. well, Kamri started throwing a fit becuase kylee wouldnt hold her hand. and she has a set of lungs! Im pretty sure all of cabelas heard her. I was horrified! and this older couple in the 70's walks by and says its ok dont worry we have all be there! that is what I try and remmeber is anyone that has kids knows the feeling and to not worry about it. :)

Janice Graham said...

A braver mom than I was! I think it's healthy for all concerned to take them out. And you are very smart to think and plan ahead.

Cami said...

Oh man, I can't think of a time I went shopping with kids that one DIDN'T cry. But I suppose with my crazy kiddos, I had to let that expectation go long ago. Usually I'm the one having the meltdowns in the stores, so I think you did great! 4 babies and only one crying one!! AMAZING! Still annoying though. Forget what other people think, and just get out there!

Molly said...

This post is exactly what happened to me today- we're in sync I guess, or at least our kids are. We were at Wegman's today and Kaitlyn was screaming hysterically at the top of her lungs like a perfect stranger was trying to steal her or something. It felt like every eye in the store was looking at me wondering why I couldn't calm my child down. I then began to do anything to quiet her down, and after giving her the whole bag of pirate's booty, my protein bar, and a reeses cup, she finally settled down for a little bit. I normally don't give in to her every whim, but I was desperate. And then to top off the day I forgot my wallet in the car! Anyways, I think this scenario is every mother's nightmare, so I definitely know how you feel:)

Ryan and Keiry said...

If it's any consolation, every time I see you, you make motherhood look good! It has to be a huge challenge to take three little ones out all at the same time, but I agree with some of the comments here that it's important to get out a little bit. And I've seen personally that when you're really in a pinch God send you an angel to help you out :)