Monday, May 21, 2012

The First Crop

I have always felt like I have the opposite of a green thumb. I never thought I could keep anything alive, or lacked the drive to learn more about what it takes to make plants thrive. But feeling the need to start a new project to give my mommy-brain a rest now and then this summer, I threw all doubt and fear to the side (much like my canning ventures last year), and started a very small garden with Lili. I asked a few questions to those I know have had success, read a few tidbits, and felt it was worth the small investment.  Elise and I started out seedling indoors weeks ago, but when we transplanted, almost none survived, and some were dug up by squirls or something. I didn’t want to give up after all the work we put in already. It was still early enough to plant some seeds right in the box, so I did that with what we had left, and supplemented with some store bought tomatoes, peppers of all kinds, cucumbers, and yellow squash. I read a little and found out cayenne pepper would deter any peaky animals, so I sprinkled in on now and then, and seems to have done the trick so far. Soon enough the seeds peeked up through the soil, and Elise and I were giddy everyday as we saw the rapid progress of the zucchini, cilantro, basil, honeydew melons, more sweet peppers (one pepper plant is the only survivor from our first indoor seedlings!) , and I think I’ve seen an onion in there. I look forward to seeing what has happened over night as I set out for my run very morning. I know we aren’t out of the woods yet, with the many pests we have around here. I am praying that as soon as any vegetation that comes from this isn’t eaten immediately by some unwanted visitors. I better study up on that. Any tips are welcome!001

It’s an amateur garden, to say the least, being pretty unorganized (I’ve bought and added plants at different times if I felt a space needed to be filled), and very small. But I didn’t want to be too over my head with my first garden, so I think starting small was the way to go. I can see how gardening is addicting. If I owned my home, I would commit part of the yard to a huge garden, and buy my Aunt’s whole gardening system. (Someday, Aunt Belinda!)

I had my first fresh taste from the garden when I cut some cilantro and added it to my most delicious guacamole for lunch today. I hope this is only the beginning of what is to come from this little endeavor. I’ll keep you posted. Keeping my fingers crossed! 012

3 comments:

Janice said...

This is great! I love to harvest something I planted. And basil from my garden makes me swoon every time I smell it. Sometimes I just pick it to let it waft through my kitchen! We had bunnies who ate a lot of our produce when we lived in the East. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

My best advice is to thin ruthlessly. One healthy, uncrowded plant will yield more than three crowded ones.

Merinda Reeder said...

I miss you. Looks great. :)