Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Habit Broken

I mentioned a while ago that I was on a clothes shopping fast from January 1st, until April 30th. I still bought the kids and KC things here and there, but anything besides window shopping  in my department was off limits. My mom and I were in on this together, and just decided to do it on a whim when talking on the phone one day. We both love to shop, though not compulsively or anything, but always found ourselves wanting/needing something new, or waisting time in the store or online deciding whether or not to buy something. So I was up for the challenge, and since Christmas had just added a little freshness to my closet, I felt that would hold me over for a while.

What a freeing decision it was! I felt like I had a little more time on my hands with less perusing, and less returning. I used all my clothes in my closet more than I would’ve, and what I didn’t reach for I know can be cleared out. It’s not like it was the hardest thing I ever did, nor did I expect it to be. Just a fun little challenge. Being a person who enjoys a little retail therapy, I did feel slightly annoyed at times, especially during these boring winter months with nothing much to do, or when I’d stumble on something I loved, for a great deal on top of it! But mostly, I was relieved, and happy to not even have the option of looking. Mall outings were faster, Target trips were more efficient, and overall, we definitely saved some money. Since I am more on the bargain shopper side (though, being a mom has made me a little bit lazy about waiting for deals, and more picky about my selections, leading me to move my price range up when needed), I’m sure I wouldn’t have spent an obscene amount of money this past few months, but hey, any money saved is a good thing, right? I’m sure it just all went into the gas fund. Ugh.

When April 30th snuck up much faster than I had expected, I wondered how I would react. Just start shopping again, or enjoy this new habit I’m in, and keep steering clear of my department. Well, Elise and I had the night of the 30th free, so we just decided to make a shopping night of it. And it didn’t take long for me to remember what I love/hate so much about shopping. It was exhausting and time consuming, but exciting and refreshing all at the same time. For someone who used to love the mall as much as I did, I can feel myself ageing when I say stuff like, “This music is too loud”, “We’ve been to two stores, should be be done now?” or “is THAT really in right now?!” (Also, while in the store, we noticed that H&M has a stupid campaign going on right now, and made me truly think twice about buying anything from them. On principle alone, I have decided to take back the couple of things I bought there. Anyone want to boycott H&M with me?) Anyway, I did find some things I love, and bought some things I had made a note of while fasting. I also found some incredibly great deals! I’m already ready for another break, but I didn’t love what I saw when taking out all my summer clothes, so hopefully, I get up the stamina to venture out again to find a few new additions to my warm weather wardrobe. I wish I had a personal shopper to find the exact things I need for me so I wouldn’t have to waist my precious time searching for the perfect t-shirt and jeans.

So I guess can take down my “NO BUYING CLOTHES UNTIL APRIL 30, 2012!” post it I have had on my mirror for the past four months. But Mom and I decided it would be fun to do shopping fasts throughout the year. Two months of fasting, and then one month to shop if we so desire. The beginning of the season would be nice, cause you never know what you’re going to like when you pull the new season’s clothes out of storage. I think the husbands are liking this.

What a boring, childless, pictureless post. But I wanted it documented, and I do have a little bit of a life aside from motherhood, so that’s good for me to remember. Don’t worry, I have many child-filled posts just waiting for me to write them, as usual.

3 comments:

Jules said...

I think I should probably start some kind of shopping fast since I've been doing more than my fair share this year (Drew will readily attest to that, I'm sure). And it is true that when you stop adding new clothes you use and appreciate the ones you have more...or you don't use them at all and then DI benefits. At the very least I think I will join you in your H&M boycott! *fistpump* Power to the people.

Drew said...

Shopping? What's that? Ha ha ha, but really, good job on your resolve. Also, I'm a little surprised that Julie joined you in your boycott, but then I looked at their website and was like O.O and decided I will join it too. Can't stores just be stores? Bleurgh.

jbg1119@hotmail.com said...

Yay, we did it! It was much easier than I thought it would be and I realized how much I really don't like shopping; I just like having just the right clothes and was always searching. (I think this was greedy, actually, even maybe covetous!?)It was nice to stop searching cold turkey and shop in my own closet. I had to use my imagination,really felt grateful for the clothes I have, and quit wishing I had this or that. It also helped a great deal to have lost some weight and inches, so the clothes that hadn't felt right in a while suddenly looked and felt good, like new clothes. I think I learned something and hope I don't forget it! I really would like a pretty sea-blue cardigan, though . . .