Monday, May 07, 2012

I hope we still have a little spring left.

Ruby had us up every hour or two last night, with what seemed like worsening cold symptoms as the night went on. I’m trying not to think about the non-sleeping, nebulizing, nose-wiping, wheezy-coughing, exhausting frenzy my life is about to turn into if she is sick, so I thought I’d distract myself by blogging. I’ve been letting us out of my germ-restricted comfort zone more and more with the warmer weather among us, and I knew it would catch up to me soon. Oh well, I’m sure I’ll have to accept sickness as a regular part of life as soon as preschool hits, so I’d better lighten up about germs or I might go crazy thinking about all they’ll encounter without my constant micromanagement.

Anyway, spring is still among us and we’re loving it. A few hot, muggy days have already crept in, and it’s hard to imagine the constant unbearable heat coming so soon. We’re trying to enjoy every second of this breezy, sunny spring.

We found a new park to enjoy, Allen Pond. Even though everything was pretty wet and muddy when we went, the kids still made the most of the awesome playgrounds. And we fed the geese for a minute, until it was too nerve-wracking having all those toddlers dancing on the edge of the pond. It’s a gorgeous place, and we can’t wait to go back.107102096The girls think it’s hilarious when we switch their strollers or car seats. 114

We’ve been meaning to go to the Aviation Museum a few minutes away, and we decided it was the perfect activity one rainy day. They were having a little kids club that day too, so the kids got to listen to a story, and do a craft. They’re still a little young for me to take them to crafty, story type things alone, but Lili helped out, and they did alright. They loved the little play area where they could dress up and do puzzles, etc. Remember when we thought Alex looked like Carl Fredricksen from UP? Well, it wasn’t until he was all dressed up that we realized how much more he resembles him in the pilot gear. And, of course, the elevator was the highlight of the trip. 037040046058[char_12279%255B4%255D.jpg]063068076092

I ran a great 5k a couple weeks ago. It was in the most gorgeous neighborhoods of University Park. An elementary school put it on, so I was expecting a pretty low budget race, but it still sounded fun, it being was called the Azalea Classic. Who wouldn’t want to run through miles of beautiful azaleas? Well, turns out it was quite the event. Hundreds of people, a marching band, and a small feast at the end. The kids were in heaven with the great playgrounds, and people passing out food and drinks all morning. I wish I lived in a place an beautiful as where I ran. It was a great way to spend the morning together as a family. 002017026031035038045

We decided last weekend to take the kids to the National Aquarium in DC. It was their first time on the Metro, and they were pretty fascinated. They kept thinking it was an elevator when the door would open and close. And to their delight, there were many actual elevator rides through the trip. The Aquarium was small, but perfect for our little ones. They mostly enjoyed pointing out colors of fish, Nemo, of course, and running in all different directions. Again, the leases were a great idea. We parted with the Ribieras who had other plans, and went to lunch at a delicious gourmet sandwich place. We were pleased to see some kind of wedding or event taking place right where we were eating. The music and dancing had the kids captivated for a while. Gotta love DC. 003004022031027034036038

KC and I thought it would be fun to see Mary Poppins while it is touring in Baltimore. It was a great show at the beautiful Hippodrome Theater. And so fun to have a date night and do something other than the usual dinner or movie. I’m all in the mood to watch the Disney version with the kids now. There is no doubt they’ll love it.   076077080082083

It’s become tradition to get ice cream every time we go to Costco. The kids have come to expect it now, but I don’t feel like it’s too indulgent, since we split one $1.35 frozen yogurt among 5 people (Elise and I only have a bite or two). It makes them so happy, and usually keeps them in line while we shop, reminding them that if they’re good, they’ll get some ice cream when we’re done. It’s a fun tradition. We’ve made a lot of friends at Costco.050

Speaking of Costco, while there, I bought them each a package of undies, in preparation for potty training soon. Apparently, new underwear is the best thing in the world. Each of them took a turn playing with them when we got home. I’ve got to remember to pull those out again when we get bored. 005010017

Ikea is a favorite hangout for us these days. We even met KC there one day, it being so close to his office. You can’t beat the free kids meals every Tuesday. And they love this little play place. And, again, the elevator. In fact, when I give them their Ikea leftovers, the all start exclaiming, “Elevator!” Mostly Bennett, but he prompts the others to join in. 029

061

066

Here are my BIG kids at greenbelt park. When did they get old enough for the kids swings? This picture made me happy and sad at the same time. 055

Ruby is my dare devil. When she sees a challenge, she won’t stop until it’s conquered. She only needed a little help from me to get to the top of this little climbing wall. And she really likes to wear Penny’s hat, and usually backwards. 057058

Here is my usual mess of more miscellaneous pictures:

R, A030

B070

Alex wedged himself between the couch cushions on the floor for a little down time. He knows how to get comfy.092

I found a few more gems from the sisters’ trip.  (Cami, did I get any snuggle pics with you?)219199212217

Lili with Ruby223

KC with Penny225

Hat time

230231234244278281

Tub painting ( I might have helped with the awesome hairdos.)314316A is cracking me up in this one.317

I let them decorate sugar cookies with leftover rainbow frosting. Oh, the happiness that was in my home that day.324336

One day I had them all sit down to eat, only to have forgotten the trays were being washed. They thought it was the funniest thing to hold their bowls of cottage cheese. 354

My handsome little men.362368373

Bennett likes to buckle things into the highchairs, like his blankie, 380381

and his kitty puppet that he’s been carrying with him everywhere lately.412411410

The boys are always begging for “more mangos!”383384386

Bennett and his beloved trains.388401

The basket pile game continues.010297298

My sweet little dolly.191

The boys were mesmerized by the new dishwasher being installed (hooray!). Ruby was terrified and wouldn’t let me put her down.418 

Love an impromptu snuggle fest.415

Well, that about wraps up this springtime update. I love hanging out with these little, funny people.

5 comments:

Janice said...

Oh Wow. I loved all these photos. so many darling faces. I laughed out loud at Alex as the character in UP. SO Cute!

Corinne said...

Clint went to University Park Elementary! The house he grew up in is just one street over - in fact, he proposed to me on the bleachers at the baseball diamond there ;) So glad you had fun at the race!~!

Lindsay Lou said...

Hi there! I gave you an award on my blog http://infertility-and-me.blogspot.com/2012/05/one-lovely-blog-my-very-first-award.html. I just love reading about your adorable family!!

Unknown said...

they are getting so big! and ugh potty training two was bad couldnt imagine three! but hopeufully yours will be fully ready and cooperate and take to it right away! will make things easier for you! looks like lots of fun things going on around there though!

Unknown said...

Oh that's so cute. Thanks for the fun slide show.Keep up the good work.
Nana and Papa