Friday, July 06, 2012

Date with Mom: Alex Edition

Sorry about that last post. I was having a moment of weakness, but all seems to be on the up and up now, thank goodness. Let’s dwell on more fun things.

We have loved having Six Flags season passes. Elise and I take the kids about once a week to enjoy the rides (more pictures, etc. on that later), but we knew as soon as the insane east coast summer heat was here, we’d be very grateful to have access to the water park as well (pool passes are very expensive and hard to obtain around here. Six Flags is actually the best deal around for water fun, especially if all your kids are under three and are free).  These kids haven’t really been free to wander through open water yet, so I was nervous to have to keep track of all of them on my own. So, the week that it opened, KC took the day off work to give it a try. It was a blast (more on that too), but, just like with most adventurous things we do with these kids, I wasn’t able to ever relax enjoy our time there while I was looking two or three ways the entire time. (KC and I have, without discussion, come up with a finger signal system when we’re in a crowded place, letting each other know from a distance whether we are in eye shot of one, two or three, so we know how many we are in charge of. There was a lot of that going on as they’d wander about.) It was a pretty fun first water park venture, and it was so nice to have KC’s help. Since it’s ridiculously crowded on the weekends, we’d have to figure out some way to enjoy the park without KC taking off work. I did work out a deal with a girl in my ward to help me with the kids at the water park when I need it (she works there, so she gets in free!), which will be nice if the opportunity arises.  But I had an even better idea. I decided that once a week during the summer, I would take each of them on a little evening Six Flags date with just me. So, with Alex being the oldest, I took him last week to start off this fun summer event. As soon as KC got home from work, Alex and I snuck out the back door to avoid too many jealous people, and set out on our date.

It wasn’t too crowded or too hot. I only had to unbuckle one car seat (that didn’t even require climbing in the van!), and unfold one tiny umbrella stroller. And it took no time to get him out and all set to play. Usually this is all quite an ordeal. I really was giddy about it. And then he and I just wandered about doing whatever he wanted to do. The other times we’ve been near open water, Alex has been my cautious one, content to mostly just walk the perimeter of the pool, only venturing in to step on and count the little fountains shooting out of the ground. But with this undivided attention, I was able to show him the fun he could have splashing around in the deeper parts without other things on my mind. And once he got in, he didn’t want to get out! I was so proud of him, not sure how long his little deep water phobia would last. I guess all he needed was to know that I had all eyes on him. I never had a reason to scold, or get flustered, or say “no”. It was pure bliss for both of us, and I remember having a moment looking at my boy, and realizing again that I’m so so so glad that he’s mine. I don’t have a chance to stare at them individually very often. Such a darling, happy, smart boy. 016022032033038037

The water park closed around 7, and he went to have our little dinner together on a main street bench. He even likes his chips crushed in his sandwich like his mom. It was so fun having little uninterrupted conversations with him. I could just see the difference in his face, knowing he was getting all the attention, and I loved it. I can’t wait to spend that time with him again.044048054

4 comments:

Janice said...

Brilliant! What a great time for both of you.

Lili and Jeff said...

That was adorable! I'm sure they love their little mommy-and-me time. That video was hilarious!

Sarah said...

Maybe its the pregnancy - but I am totally getting teary with this sweet post. What a fun idea. I need to do this to savor one child at a time.

Unknown said...

That is so fun! He is getting so big! I think one on one time is so important especially for multiples and not only them but for mom or dad too!