Thursday, July 19, 2012

Date with Mom: Ruby Edition

Ruby finished out the first round of mommy dates last week. Hers fell on a particularly trying day for the two of us (and I’m sure the other two weren’t being angels either). Sometimes that girl likes to push my buttons all the live long day! So I was hoping a little bonding time would put us both in a better mood.

This girl was talking non-stop from the the moment we left the house. I took her out the back as usual, but she didn’t hesitate to let the boys know that we were leaving by saying, “Bye guys! We’re gonna go play!” It was so cute when we were on our way, and she said something like, “Alex and Bennett, not in the carseats?” It’s good to know they miss each other sometimes. Here she is ready to hit the park.

Since we had a bit of a late start, we only had about 30 minutes to play in the water. We were planning on staying and going on some rides after anyway(usually we just play at the waterpark on date nights), because we were giving our friend a ride home from work, and she didn’t get off for about an hour after the water park closed. So it was alright that we didn’t have as much time to splash around.

We made the most of our time there. she hopped right in, and loved having all the attention. She wanted me to spin her around, and swing her through the fountains. She knows how to wear her mom out! But her laughter was worth it, and there was no fighting over whose turn it was next! She loves the water, and strutted around in her shades like she owned the place. I love that she knows how to rest them on her head when they get in the way of her fun.055064096069092

Her bossy side definitely came out as she ordered me around the pool, but the great thing about date night is that I was all hers and I could go wherever she wanted me to. I loved having girl time with my sweetie. 101077105

When they blew the whistles, we got out and made our way to the rides. Luckily this was our plan, because she was begging to go on the carousel, among other things. We stopped where our friend was working (at a Ben and Jerry’s kiosk), and she was kind enough to take a picture of us. That LAST picture before the camera died. Phew! Glad the date was documented before that happened! 107

We actually had to stand in some lines for a few minutes. Something we aren’t used to doing when we go in the morning. But Ruby kept me entertained as she swung on the bars, and kept yelling things like  “This is gonna be so FUUUUN!” We’d get off one, and she dart to the next. I actually got her to get on the little roller coaster with me. She was very excited, until it started, then through the whole ride she was saying, “ThisisreallyscaryIwanttoseeTweetyBird!” Of course the minute it was over, she exclaimed, “That was SO SO FUN!” That girl had one volume that night. She also HAD to push the stroller everywhere. I let her, because it was date night. With all three, I don’t give in so easily.

Pretty soon, it was time to go. The only way to get her out without ruing the date with a tantrum and an upset mom, was to let her keep pushing the stroller. All the way to the parking lot. Yes it took more time, but I do think it preserved the good time we were having together. I finally forced her in so we could walk to the car safely, and then we picked up our friend and headed home. On the drive, she requested that we listen to “I am a Child of God” which she sings like an angel, perfectly on key, sometimes even harmonizing when she can’t reach certain notes (seriously, she just finds the next note in the chord and just figures it out. She also loves singing the descant when it starts in the 3rd verse. Love her sweet voice). She also said in a quiet voice, “That was fun” as we were driving home. What a perfect way to end my time with my girl.

Ruby seems to be rapidly changing these days. Each time I look at her, I notice how much more mature and beautiful she has become. He little face is so perfect to me. I loved letting her free-spirited self free to play as her heart desired. The wheels are constantly turning in that little brain, and I’m sure she is so much more creative than she shows me in our every day life. Which is saying a lot, with how creative I already think she is. Although we have many difficult moments together, I have a feeling we will always be best friends. We are sure to have many more date nights to build our special relationship further. I love my baby girl.  106

3 comments:

Sarah said...

So fun!
FYI - Lydia saw the picture of you and said, "that's you before you got old." -- at least your triplets as much as apparently she has aged me. :)

Unknown said...

so much fun! and she is such a cute little thing! and she sure has grown up fast!

Janice said...

cutest pictures! I would love to hear Ruby singing "I am a Child of God". I love her little voice.