Thursday, October 18, 2007

Childhood memories

I just got babysitting where I took a nice walk. It is such a beautiful day today and I couldn't resist. Plus, I felt like I could use the exercise. So we went to a fun little park enclosed in tall trees. It had one of those turny platform things, which I love. It completely relaxes me, and the little one loved it too. Then I tried the monkey bars for the first time in probably 12 years, and I think I'll be sorry tomorrow. Those are so hard. I don't remember it being that hard when I was younger. There were more parts to the park that I remember from the playground in elementary school that I played on at every recess. I was so peaceful and quiet and fun at the park it really made me reminisce. Childhood was great, and I'm finally to the age where I really think about it as a time of joy. Until now, I think I've just been too preoccupied trying to get to an age where I am comfortable and settled to think about the past. I guess that's where I am now. I'm missing the days when my biggest disappointment was that my friend couldn't have a sleep over. And something as simple as going to get a Slurpee at the gas station made my day. I want to be like a child again for those reasons. I think that's the first time I've said that since all I've wanted to do was grow up. I remember begging my mom to let my shave my legs when I was 10 or something crazy. She let me beg for a while before giving in. I'm glad she prolonged my childhood as long as she did. I can't wait to relive it through my own kids.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love to think about the simplicity of childhood too. I loved lazy summers laying out on your trampoline with lemon juice in our hair and listening to the radio...those were the days!

Cami said...

Yes, I know about those monkey bars. I think we used to not have so much WEIGHT hanging off of them. We weren't asking so much of our arms. Fun to reminisce.

Woods said...

Oh childhood, such a sweet time. I miss it too. mostly because I don't get to be with my best friends every waking moment. Remember the second we woke up we'd get chores done so we could play. I loved those precious times, they bring such sweet memories of you and Mel. I miss and love you guys.

The Hunsakers said...

Happy Birthday Emily! It makes our childhood seem like such a long time ago. We can't be this old. I hope you have a good day.

Amber said...

I've been thinking a lot lately about my childhood too. Jordan just got invited to a Boy/girl halloween party--what? Over my dead body are we starting that already. Also, Katy is playing chinese jumprope of which I was the queen of recess. Anyway, fun and wierd memories.

Unknown said...

Yep. Fun to take a walk down memory lane. And I am glad your memories are good ones. You were a joy to Mom and me, and we love those memories, too.