Monday, October 08, 2007

Fun with the Parents

It's weird sitting here in my empty apartment as KC takes his parents to the airport. We have all been in this little apartment for a few days and it actually seems big now that I'm the only one here. Well we weren't actually here the whole time they were visiting. They arrived on Thusday evening. They had some plans for us the next day so we got a good rest to get up and out the door on Friday morning. We drove to White Sulfer Springs, West Viriginia to visit the former U.S. Government bunker. It was very interesting. It was crazy to see that this place was active only 15 years ago until it was releavled. Now, when I think of 24 when they had to retreat to the bunker, I can understand better. It's cool to think that there are actually places hidden where you'd never expect. The Bunker was under this amazing, extravegant 5 star resort that we walked through. We stopped at the chocolate shop to look. I asked out of curiosity their prices. They started at $55.00/lb. Man, I need to get back into that business. Our guide for the tour, Traudi, was quite animated, enthusiastic, and very entertaining. It was a great and informative time, and I would recommend it to anyone.

So we went onto Charlottesville, our next stop and where we were going to stay for the night. We decided to eat in their historic downtown at an eclectic place called Rapture where I couldn't resist the crab and goat cheese nachos. This was not a Mexican restaurant, and had many other options. And what did I choose? But I was glad I did. it was delicious. We also stopped at a very cute little Gelato shop and I couldn't resist getting the sampler so we could try 8 flavors. We found our motel and all tried to get some sleep. KC, I know didn't get much. He and I have been coughing, sneezing and nose-blowing for days. Mine seems like a very mild cold that will run it course with only a few symptoms. Nothing a little nightime medicine and cough drops can't cure. KC's is far worse and we think it's just allergies. It was quite sad seeing how miserable he has been with these allergies. They seem to never go away, and I think with the air drying out a little, they are hitting hard. Our guests were so patient with out constant couging and sneezing. So after the little sleep anyone got, we had our continental breakfast and drove to Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson. This was also amazing and it was a very gorgeous day to enjoy it. Honestly, It was so beautiful. My favorite weatherbesides the fact that is completely ruins anything you try to do to your hair. Anyway, it's always so amazing to see historical places where you know they actually stood right where you are standing. Like Washington at Mount Vernon, Jefferson had very distinct taste and it's funny to see what a man would do if he were in charge of the interior decorating. It was a great day. We ate lunch at Panera, and headed back to Cheverly in time to hear the last hour of Saturday conference. The boys went to the priesthood session and mom and I had a good time talking and talking. We were invited to the Drapers for brunch the next day so I made my traditional cinnamon rolls since they had to sit in the fridge overnight. We had a good time with everyone Sunday morning with delicious breakfast casserole and the rolls. It's funny that I always just feel like making cinnamon rolls during conference and forget that I always want to make it a tradition. It's an accidental tradition I guess. We watched conference with a little Napoleon Dynamite on cable in between. KC's parents were so patient with the little seating and sleeping areas there are in this apartment. There's just enough room for an air mattress if we move the table and chairs. They were perfect guests and we are sad to see them go. But Christmas is right around the corner and we will get to see everyone. I can't wait. And since I can't decide of what pics to post, you get a slide show. Ta da!

8 comments:

Cami said...

That does look fun. I always like it when the touristy people make me go to new places. I'm not good at making myself go. Those cinnamon rolls look great!

Woods said...

It looks like you had a fun time. It is fun to go to new places once in a while. I love the pics of you two dancing(or pretending to dance). I'm still working on my hubby. He never was much of a dancer.

melody said...

Napoleon in between sessions - Ha! I'm glad you had fun with the in-laws. Now get ready to have some more fun very very soon!!!!

Susan said...

It was so good to catch up with you guys on Sunday, not JUST because of your world-famous cinnamon rolls!

The Gowdy Family said...

Oh Charlottesville! John and I lived there for two years and this post made me SO HOMESICK for it! We loved it there and hope to live there again someday. I'm glad you had a good trip!

Amber said...

WOW I want some of those cinnamon rolls!! Your trip looks like so much fun I want to go. Thanks for new ideas. Glad you enjoyed having family in town.

Amber said...

I love the historical places. That is one of the reasons I wanted to bring the kids to Maryland in Sept. Hopefully, we will still get there. It sounds and looks like you had a great time. I should do the cinnamon rolls too--only if I get your recepie though!

Janice Graham said...

Very interesting. Thanks for the tours!