Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Fondest Dream

So, we are pleased and grateful to announce that we now have a website (also linked on the sidebar) all about our adoption quest. My great friend Hannah, well the sister of one of my best friends Sarah (but we also knew each other in high school, so I know her really well), designed this beautiful website to help our cause. We couldn't be more grateful to have such thoughtful and helpful friends during this time that can be so overwhelming and confusing. Hannah is an amazing graphic designer. Her blog is always so creative, interesting, and fun. I know she does freelance projects so don't hesitate to go to her for your graphic design needs. I have loved all of her work that I've seen.On the subject of adoption, we attended a Families Supporting Adoption (FSA) conference last weekend (Fri/Sat) to help us get our feet on the ground in this world we just entered. FSA is affiliated with LDS family services. I was a little hesitant to go being a little timid about learning too many new things too fast. And although we came away from it with our heads hurting due to cramming way to much info into them, we were so glad we went. We feel a lot more confident and excited to carry-out all the processes we need to. The food was also catered and amazing, I thought I'd add. When we sat down with a table full of strangers, it was a little awkward since we knew we all had something in common, but we're quite sure how to start any conversation. Soon enough we were chatting up a storm about everything from fertility treatments (it was so weird to be able exchange conversation in the language I've been using for the past year and actually understand each other), to what part of the adoption process they were in. People were anywhere from just thinking about adopting, to working on their third successful adoption, so there were a lot of stories to tell. The strangest thing about this process is that most of us were coming from fertility problems and seemingly endless evasive treatments that are really not something that is brought up in regular conversation. It's more of a private process (though it doesn't seem that way compared to natural conception. You have to be pretty open about your body to let strangers do all the tests they have to do). But adoption is completely different. They told us that if we want our adoption to happen quickly, we have to be completely immersed in the process. To tell, and give our card, or magnet, or anything with our information on it (seriously, they said to make t-shirts and pens if we wanted to), to every person we see-stranger or friend. It took me a while to get used to this idea. We only had a handful of people in the know with our infertility, and now we are supposed to tell the world? I suppose it the sacrifice we must be willing to make. We are pacing ourselves, but feel the website is a great start here in the beginning, and we are going to work on more projects in the future. Things are really coming together and we really have faith that we will have a family soon.

By the way, the title of our new website was inspired by a hymn that has really been close to my heart during this process. This verse in particular:

I believe in Christ; He stands supreme! With him I'll gain my fondest dream;
And while I strive through grief and pain, His voice is heard: "Ye shall obtain."
I believe in Christ; so come what may, With him I'll stand in that great day
When on this earth he comes again To rule among the sons of men.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I just looked at the final product! It looks great! Good luck with everything. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.

melody said...

The website title is perfect. You two are brave and hopeful, I have no doubt you will have a baby in your arms soon.

Gerti said...

I do hope you guys get a larger family soon! Sorry the process is so grueling, but I hope it pays off in the end!!! You definitely deserve it and would be great with children!

emilie s. d. p. said...

I love the site, it's so beautiful! I posted a link on my sidebar, I hope it helps. I hope you know how many prayers are said for you guys!!!

Matt said...

An excellent site.

Cluff Family said...

When you do get your baby, you will apreciate it more than most others. I am confident there will be a baby soon. You are on my blog too!

Lindsey Bench said...

Em, i don't know if you knew this but I interned at LDSFS with birth parents and adoptive couples. In doing so I looked through HUNDREDS of applications and adoptive couple profiles and just thought you should know that your website/"profile" is beautiful and one of the best I've seen. Are you planning to go through LDSFS? If anything it will just save you a lot of money rather than going through a private agency, even if you don't use one of their birthmoms and find one on your own. Anyway, I love you. Best of luck my friend.

Jenni said...

Your site is so beautiful Emily!! I will keep you in my prayers and if I here of anything out here in CO you will be the first to know!

Drew said...

Wow, I love that hymn... Just reading the lyrics made me think of the powerhouse Motab arrangement. Once I listened to it on the mission and I felt suddenly overwhelmed with emotion. Thanks for the reminder.

The website is gorgeous! I will link it on my blog as well. You two deserve it so much.

Jessi said...

What a beautiful website! The words to that hymn are so amazing. Thx for sharing!