Friday, August 22, 2008

I gave in

Yes, I have joined a book group with a few of my friends. This isn't really my style, but I decided it would be a good discipline system for me, and I'm sure it will be intellectually enlightening as well. We had our first meeting last night. Molly hosted and chose the book this month, and it was held at my house. She is really the founder and we are all glad she finally got us going on a great productive way for us to get together besides the usual games, movies, toenail-painting, etc.

Molly chose
The Importance of Being Earnest, a witty and comedic play by Oscar Wilde that I think we unanimously loved. Molly had a couple activities (prizes for winners included) to test our memories of the characters. She also included a variety of lovely treats that we ate while we watched the hilarious movie made with an all-star cast that had us constantly laughing. She really set the bar high for the rest of the meetings. But we must remember that she was a elementary school teacher for a couple years, so little games and activities come natually for her. We all thought it was a delightful start to what we hope lasts a long time.Christina is next and chose Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte. I know Cami will be proud. I'm actually pretty excited to get started. This is a side of me I've never seen before. I hope I don't lose my momentum.

7 comments:

Angela @ Canned Time said...

Sounds like a great use of your time! I love all the Bronte books. First time I read some of them I thought, this has nothing to do with the way things are today. But the older I get, the more I see that some things between men and women never change. Women's roles sure have changed since Emily wrote that book. She couldn't even use her own name to publish under, had to use a man's name instead because she wasn't supposed to know how to read and write...........

Woods said...

Oh man, I need something like that to get me going. I think the book club things sound so fun. I heard there's always good food at a book party so you'll know just how to host one when it's your turn. I wish I could be there to hang out with you. I hope you're doing well.

Jonny said...

Heathcliff and Catherine...BEWARE! I just finished that book for the first time. It is an amazing story, but a little disturbing. Let's talk while you read and when you are done since it's all still fresh for me. It is one of those that is hard to put down.

Drew said...

I think a book group is a great idea. Sounds like you have two really great titles to start! Oscar Wilde may have had some questionable issues in his personal life, but his writing is pure art.

But be warned... there are times I heard when you aren't welcome at a beloved book club, in case you have an opinion of your own (heaven forbid).

Unknown said...

good for you! I always say I am going to join the neighborhood book club but seem to find a reason to get out of it every month. It would be great to have an excuse to read a good book...maybe you have given me new motivation!

sara e.a.* said...

this is sara & burke austen & we tagged you guys. :) check out our blog to see what you need to do. :)

also, i've never met either of you for reals, but i love your blog & can't wait to meet the real yous! burke loves kc. :)

Molly said...

I am also super excited about our book club and was glad our first meeting was a hit!