Monday, September 22, 2008

Good times with friends and family

So, we've had quite the couple of weeks. As you see below, my parents came and left last Monday. The week went as follows:

Book group: Tuesday night was our monthly book group meeting. We had read Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. We all had a few different opinions on the book. But we agreed that all the people are just nuts. It was a little dark, but that's my style so I happened to like it. It was nice to have something to listen to as I got ready for the day, or cleaned the bathroom etc. They have the book available on librivox.org. It was Christina's pick, so we went to her house where she had a great spread of treats complete with a chocolate cream pie version of "the moors" and fun size Heath candy bars. Too bad I didn't have a camera in my possesion at the time. A rare occasion.

I got to choose the next, which is Ender's Game. KC and I have been listening to it all weekend in the car and are loving it. Can you tell I like to listen to my book whenever possible? This time I checked out the CDs and the library. The reader is really entertaining.

A visit from Mom Robinson: The next day, we were happy to have KC's mom visit us for a couple days. BYU sent her here for some business, so she came a couple days early to spend some time with us. I had some great one on one time with her while KC was at work. We took brisk walks in the mornings with the newly crisped air (I am looooooooving the weather being cooler), talked for hours, and ate at some great restaurants. One of which was downtown, and reccomended by a friend of Janice. It was called Georgia Browns, that made upscale, down-home southern food. Who wouldn't love that? It was a beautiful night in DC and we loved the great scenery. It really never gets old to walk by the huge, historical buildings and monuments.We were delighted to have her stay with is. Janice and I agreed that it was nice that we actually had time to just sit and talk, rather than be running here or there, as it can be when visitors come.

Williamsburg, VA with friends: We left Friday afternoon and returned yesterday from a great weekend with some friends. We have been planning on vacationing together for a long time, and Molly finally put in into action. Her parents graciously let us use their time share. We stayed in charming suites, and enjoyed eating, swimming, touring jamestown, and playing games together. I got tired of carrying the camera around, so they pictures stop after Jamestown, but the fun continued with Cracker Barrell, working out in the great gym, mini golf provided by the resort, outlet shopping, hot-tubbing, and pulled bork sandwiches and apple crisp. We stayed with the Calls in one unit, and the Murpys and Millers were together. It was our unit's night to make dinner. We loved the crock-pot pork, yet again. It was great gathering around a crowded table of so many people with everyone trying to talk at once. It was like I was a young kid with my family again. We played more games late into the night. We found our people get pretty punchy when we are up late together. The next morning we had to pack up and each went to our desired destinations. KC and I went straight home and both took long naps to catch up on our sleep lost from staying up late into the night.

We loved our couple weeks of fun with our family and friends. But now a normal week has begun and life is back to the same old. I think we'll enjoy a seemingly uneventful week.

9 comments:

Hannah said...

We read the Enders Game in our bookclub. It bring some great discussion. I was one that didn't really like it, but it is a great bookclub choice!

Jonny said...

Ho Emily! I love Ender on tape. I love the way one character says "Ennnderrr."

Cami said...

Em, it sounds like you had a GREAT week. Lots of fun. I'm glad you are liking Ender's Game. This "hannah" person is the first person I've EVER heard of that has read that book and not liked it. We'll have to discuss about Heathcliff some more!

melody said...

I want in on the Heathcliff discussion. And I loved Ender too. Fun choice, very different from your first two books.

I like the picture of KC in that soldier hat. Glad you had a fun weekend!

Janice said...

our pictures will be on the web soon. I have a pic of Nicole I think in that same funny hat at Jamestown - fun history!

preeti said...

It seems that it's the great time to spend with your friends and family. Have a nice day.

===================================
Preeti
nitishrocks

Amber said...

Sounds like you guys are having a blast!! What now??? We will all have to get together.

Amber said...

ENDER! I loved Ender's Game and then I loved Ender's Shadow even more! I'm so glad you take advantage of all the awesome places that you can visit so close by. Looks like fun times!

Drew said...

Great happenings. I'm glad you liked Wuthering Heights, and Ender's Game is a GREAT choice. I haven't read that since junior high. I should pick it up again. Who reads it on the audiobook?