Thursday, September 25, 2008

More Ovaltine Please!

The other day at the store I decided to buy this.I don't drink milk much. Besides baking, our occasional bowls of cereal, smoothies, and now that it's colder, soups, I really have to try to use it up. Not that I don't like it, I just don't think to drink a glass of it during the day. We hardly ever, I dare say never, finish a gallon of milk before it goes bad. Hence this post. I would like to use it up before it goes bad though, so it's not as much as a burden to me and the fridge. My solution is this chocolaty drink. I've always thought it was kind of ghetto because of the hokey commercials. But the kids I babysit beg for chocolate milk all day long, and this is what their mom buys. So I decided I would try it and it would be a good way to use up the milk, have a healthy snack (or treat really), take in all those fortified vitamins, and get my chocolate malt fix for the moment. We love malt around here. I shake it up with my skim milk and I'm set for snack time (I probably have too many snack times during the day, so it's good for me to have many healthy options). I'll probably keep us nice and stocked with it from now on.

Pardon me for getting so excited about such an insignificant topic. Gotta enjoy life any way we can, right?

10 comments:

Susan said...

Wow, 2 issues here, now don't take me wrong but: 1) Ovaltine is SO not ghetto it costs more than Hershey's syrup or Nesquick, and 2)This is DEFinitely not an insignificant topic. I HEART Ovaltine, and so does anyone I can get to drink it.
(Yeah, I'm pretty much the most pro-Ovaltine person I know, the only part of drinking it that I hate is that Tom has to quote the Seinfeld joke about "What's the deal with Ovaltine? The container's not oval it's round. They should call it Roundtine." pretty much every single time he sees it out. Kind of like how he has to mention how "great" it is if I'm ever grating cheese for any reason :) )

Woods said...

You are so funny. I have actuall always wondered if it was a good drink myself. Now I will have to try it.

Emily said...

Okay Su, okay! I believe you.

And whoa, that would really bug me if something was quoted everything i did something routine. I'd probably learn to never do any of those things while KC was around just to avoid it.

Merinda Reeder said...

Not Ghetto - Grandma. I spend a month with my Grandma one summer. Every morning she'd make me a cup of hot chocolate - with Ovaltine, yes, and some marshmallows. I'd drink it while I read the local paper's kids section. It's probably the only time that I've consistently read the morning paper - while my step grandpa had his coffee and the rest of the paper. Nobody is allowed to "ghetto" that good memory. Ovaltine is the good stuff for sure.

Angela @ Canned Time said...

I'm the same way with wasting fresh milk so now I keep my food storage powdered milk rotating by just using that for chocolate milk or hot chocolate. You get used to the taste and don't have to worry about having fresh milk on hand. I keep the powdered milk can in the fridge and just scoop out enough for my drink or recipe. I almost never buy fresh milk now so it's much cheaper. Just an idea.

Cami said...

Nice! Live it up.

Drew said...

This makes me think of two things: A Christmas Story and Young Frankenstein. If you don't know why, your assignment is to watch both of them and discover the reason.

melody said...

Ha! to previous comments. I am definitely going to pick some up on my next trip to the store. I know I would love it and I think Julia would go crazy for it. Thanks for the tip!

Emily said...

Drew: "Be sure it Drink you Ovaltine? It's a crummy commercial!"

Now, as far as Young Frankenstein, I'm not as familiar. I guess I'll have to watch that one.

Matt said...

I think I forgot that Ovaltine was an option. I'm totally getting some. Cortnie grew up drinking it. I bet Jackal would love it.