Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fall is my light

I decided to finish my latest read, Ender's Game, by taking a relaxing walk in the lovely weather. I thought that this would be the time that I take a moment to talk about how much this time of year means to me. It's almost hard to describe how the fall makes me feel. As soon as those familiar smells start to fill the air, and the chill manifests itself, it's hard for me to go outside without being uplifted, no matter what is going in my life, of what that day has been like. And the the colors start to change, and we all know how breathtaking that can be. Is there a better time of year? I know every season has it's pros and cons, but I seriously doubt that any season can top the beauty that the fall brings. For some reason, everything about this season brings so many fond memories of falls past. Especially the smells. The cool air, the spiced oil in my oil burner, the warms soups and cinnamon and nutmeg infused pastries being baked. . .all so comforting. And let's not forget fall fashion. The layering, the cozy sweaters, the boots (I'm most excited about my cowboy boots), the list could continue. I was reading in a secluded park, swinging, and couldn't help but be overjoyed with the months to come. It always comes and goes so quickly, so I'm going to take advantage of it the best I can. I plan many trips to the National Arboretum, and many more walks, either alone, or with welcomed company. I try to ask myself why I love it so much. It may be that the dreadful, sweaty summer is finally over, the AC bill will be dramatically cut, that it's my birthday season, Thanksgiving is coming up (I'm already getting excited for the menu), or Christmas is that much closer bringing it's own set of excitement and warmth. Whatever it is, I'm going to relish in this awakening calmness I feel as the season approaches. And, as odd as it seems, I love that it's only a short while that I get to enjoy it. It makes it even more glorious and makes me live in the moment, rather than take it for granted. It's almost like trials we may have to go through in life. To get to that light at the end of the tunnel, we have the make it though the grueling times first. I guess winter and summer symbolize my times of trial, and spring is the little burst of light that helps me know that I am almost there. Fall is my light. I can relax for a moment.

6 comments:

Cami said...

Very nice post. I think I should have gone outside today. It felt so gloomy indoors. I agree on all points.

Unknown said...

Well said em. I think fall is my favorite time of year for all those reasons you mentioned. I am glad you are taking a moment to exhale...enjoy the fall air!

Lili and Jeff said...

Fall is rather nice, isn't it? Not too cold, but you can finally pull all those jackets and vests you have been hiding away in the closet! And take those walks.

Happy birthday soon!

melody said...

Very true. I am so glad you are enjoying the change of seasons. I wish it would start to feel like fall around here. It was super hot today!

stacia said...

great thought on this wonderful season! it really is everything you said. and you live in the MOST beautiful place this time of year....

Matt said...

Ho Emily. I also love the Fall. Thanks for this post. Brings it home nicely.