Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Does everyone have a list like this?

You'd think that when Christmas is all said and done, you feel fulfilled when it comes to things you want/need for the time being, and don't need to purchase anything significant for quite a while. So why is it that my list of things to buy lately is even bigger and better than it was before the holiday? I guess when you are in a mode of buying cool things, it's hard to shake. I know I'm not actually going to buy all of the things on my list right now, but I just keep finding myself saying to myself, "That would be really convenient right now," or "I'm just going to pull the trigger and get that." Then I talk myself out of it, feeling like a spoiled brat, and remembering we have much more important things to save for/spend on. And with KC's birthday around the corner, I should be thinking about what he wants and needs (and I already know what that is-he he). Although the things on our list are things we could both enjoy, but I want him to be surprised.

But still, a lot of things can be justified, like a new lens and flash for our camera to prepare for, ahem, upcoming events, or a new vacuum since ours is on it's last leg (we bought a cheap one to start with, and we won't make that mistake again). But still, we could go one living without any of the things on our list just fine. I don't want to be a never-satisfied type person, but with what the world has to offer, it's hard to stop dreaming. Why not make life more comfortable? I know people on both ends of the spending spectrum. Some that don't buy anything, and I mean anything, extra. They just make due. There's hardly a desire to buy any more than the bare minimum they have. And then there are the people that seriously wouldn't be okay without the latest and greatest of what is out there. I'm wondering where I am, and where I want to be. Middle of the road is fine with me, but is my idea of being in between skewed? I mean, I have plenty of unnecessary luxuries, just not the best of the best, or the bells and whistles that go with it. So do I really have it all, and I just act like I always want more because there is more out there?

I am incredibly grateful for what we have, that is the truth. I know things aren't what's important, boy do I know that, and maybe I'm just trying to make up for what I'm lacking at the moment. But I will still admit, just like everyone else, that it's fun to have the things that make life more convenient and enjoyable.

So for now, my answer to all my wondering and wanting is my Amazon wish list.
My Amazon.com Wish List
Of course, some things on the list are not practical, or realistic. Of course, I could add things to it, until the cows come home, but I just add things when I've thought about them time and time again. A few of them are the "best" of the actual item that we would buy in reality (should that ever happen),but that's what wish lists are for, right? Some might actually save us money in the long run if we just went ahead and bought them. But at least the list is created to get the items off my mind and are in a place to refer to them when we are ready and prepared for our next big purchase. KC tells me to start a little "kitty" for myself (i.e. stop buying clothes even if they are on sale), and when I've saved up enough, go ahead and get one of my "fun" things. It's a good idea, and I have the self control to do it, it just comes back down to wondering what kind of person I am. You know, I should really start to think about the major purchases we'll have to buy in the (hopefully) near future pertaining to our little addition.

KC is a master at finances (and he is trying to teach me) and we totally agree with each other on this subject. So until we make any big decisions, we will continue to be smart as far as our wants and needs, and maybe surprise ourselves with a little prize now and then. Money is for spending, right?

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Good list!! I need to make one of those...

I almost bought that 50mm lens instead of the 85mm one that I got, but I heard that you should get a higher number (85+) for flattering portraits...and that is what I shoot most.

Woods said...

Hey most of the things on your wish list could be for KC too. I want everything on that list. I actually have a dyson and I vacuum at least twice a week and I do it for fun! It's crazy.

Kristy said...

I love lists! It keeps you on track for what you really want. Also, we just had to buy a new vacumm too. Travis was so fed up that we just about went to Costco and purchased a Dyson. I figured that I would rather spend $400 somewhere else so I went to consumer reports. I was amazed at the research they do for you. You should really check it out when you buy one! Then, found that Amazon sold the one we wanted for almost 200 dollars less than target. Nuts! Gotta love Amazon. Happy shopping!!!

Cami said...

Great post. I have these same thoughts. Jake and I used to have an allowance. It was very small when we had no extra money, and got larger when things got more comfortable. If Jake wanted something big and completely unnecessary (TV), we would make a deal that he'd buy half of it with his allowance. It always worked! I like the idea, and we should go back to it. That way I don't buy clothes everytime I'm out, but if I don't actually step in a store for a month or two, I have double!

Anyway, um, good luck.

Kassi said...

Why is that, after Christmas you just want more? In the financial class we took, Dave Ramsey said that in every relationship there is one who is more of the saver and one that is more of the spender. So you two are a great combo. KC is saving so you can help him spend it, which makes it possible for you to have a life. I agree money is for spending. Something you already knew I am sure!

Corinne said...

I only use my amazon wishlists for books and the like and I am ashamed to show it to anyone. My word.