Monday, January 12, 2009

I just forgot what I was about to say.

I have used this statement several times in the last couple days. And it doesn't stop at forgetting things I want to say, but things I want to do also. This is very, very unlike me. I like to do things the moment I think of them and if I can't, I make a list, sometimes more than one a day, of things do to, because I know if I don't get to it at that moment, I might forget. Sometimes when I'm on the computer, I remember things I want to look at, or read, etc, so I have several tabs open just to remind me to go back to those others when I'm done with the one I am on (for instance, right now I have Netflix, Craigslist, LDS Family Services, Hotmail, Costco, and blogger all open).

While I try to remember what it was that I was going to say or do, I can't think of anything else until the thought is recovered, even if it was just a silly conversation with a friend (and it was better that I forgot anyway because I was talking to much already). But still, I hate that I can't remember. It's never that important, obviously, or else I don't think it would be forgotten so easily, but it's just not like me. I feel like, and I have seriously considered, carrying around a note pad and a pen in my pocket (I already try to keep some in my purse and car)to jot things down as they come to me. So this forgetting frustrates me to no end, and I am wondering what the cause of this sudden brain freeze is.

Recent events in my life have required my complete and total attention, having important tasks every single day. Forgetting one would be bad. So with me being between those all consuming events (for now anyway), maybe my brain is liking this monotone state a little too much. Maybe it was used to needing to remember things, that it's still in the mode of "remember or die", but now tries to remember less critical things. But I still get a panicky feeling if I forget, because that is what I would've done in times past.

I think the actual forgetting makes me more annoyed that doing or saying what I forgot. I guess I need to get my sudoku out again, or work on some brain exercise or some sort. I think this post was more a vent, than anything else.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That happens to me too. If it comes to me while talking to someone I know, and they are doing the talking, I will interrupt them a little, and say "keyword: xxxx", and give them the keyword to help me remember when it is my turn. I also used to take one of those digital recorders around with me, and record little reminder messages for myself. It is a little frustrating to forget your discussion point, but I always say it will come back, and it usually does sooner or later.

Cami said...

I think you are true. You HAD to remember stuff, so now you're having a brain vacay. :) I say enjoy it. I forget stuff all the time, and I could beat myself up, or I can just say, Oh well. Which I do.