Friday, January 23, 2009

You've had a birthday, shout HOORAY!

That's right, KC turned 32 this past Wednesday. We kept it low key this year, with just the two if us. Partly because KC came down with a mild cold-type thing, and we were pretty busy with babysitting/work during the day and mutual/p.p.i at the church in the evening. We tried to celebrate in any spare moment. We started with breakfast in the morning. In my family we have a tradition of picking out your very favorite box(es) of cereal on your birthday. But since that is what KC has for breakfast everyday, I decided to make him Hootenannies (German pancakes) for something different. We don't have then nearly as often as we'd like (due to their fat content, and because I just don't think about it), so this was an easy and festive thing to have together quickly before he had to rush off to work, sniffles and all.
During the day Iris, donned with the princess gear I bought for her visits, and I had some fun making birthday cards. I also set up his birthday present from me. I figured it was about time we had a guitar floating around this house. It is how he proposed after all. I can't wait to hear some guitar playing around here. I even like picking it up now and then to play around with my four known chords. KC said he'd teach me more.
When I asked him what he'd like me to make him for dinner, he really couldn't choose. He has so many faves. So I decided to go traditional. He came home to a good old steak dinner, complete with mushroom, red wine sauce (he loooooooves mushrooms), slow roasted baked potatoes with everything, and sauteed green beans. I figured I couldn't go wrong with that. We enjoyed the food and the guitar in the few minutes we had before rushing to the church for our evening obligations. We had planned on coming home and eating cake, but with KC not feeling so hot, and me being exhausted, we decided to save it for tomorrow and watch LOST, during which we fell asleep.
On Thursday, we did get the cake out, light a candle, and sing Happy Birthday (birthdays seem to go on for days sometimes, don't they?)He even got to open more presents that came in the mail. The flourless, cinnamon spiced-chocolate cake topped with fresh whipped cream, was so rich, we could only eat a very small fraction between the two of us. It was seriously hard to swallow after a couple bites. I took about half of it to my book group later that night, but KC will have quite a task of finishing this while I'm gone. Maybe I'll freeze it for later.
And don't worry, we still have more birthday plans to come this weekend. I love celebrating with KC. He is constantly making me happy, so it's the least I can do to make his birthday as fun/drawn out as possible. Seeing him happy is truly a wonderful sight. I just love the guy.

Like I said, I am leaving this weekend for a 10-day trip to Utah without my honey. I am super excited to see family and friends, but get a little pit in my stomach when I think about being without him for that long. We've done it before, last summer, so I know we'll survive, and even have fun, but I also know I'll miss him like crazy. But never fear, we have webcams galore to communicate, and that will help a lot. We realized this is the 5th birthday of his that we have celebrated together, 3rd as a married couple. And I have made the cakes for all of them. Crazy how time flies. I can't wait for more birthdays to come.

And for your enjoyment (and since I finally have a scanner), and thought I'd add this little treasure to commemorate this day of his birth. His parents gave us a binder of all his school pictures. This was in the front. I could look at it for hours, but I try not to because it makes me cry a little. I mean, look at those dimples. Happy birthday honey!

8 comments:

Matt said...

Ya! You rock KC.

Kristy said...

Happy Birthday! I do have to admit that Robinsons are so lucky with all their seriously deep dimples!

Anyway, the food you made looks WONDERFUL! It always looks like you shouldn't eat it, but you know that when you do it will be as if you haven't eaten in centuries. Delicious!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday KC!! The food looks delicious emily, that flourless cake DOES look so rich...very nice presentation.

Drew said...

KC's beard rocks. Also that food rocks. Happy birthday, KC!!! I really want to see you two!

Cami said...

Awwwww, he was a cutie! I can't wait to have festivities with you guys tomorrow. Jake is on the phone with our babysitter RIGHT NOW! Good times.

Lili and Jeff said...

Happy b-day KC. You are the man. I wish we were there to give you a birthday wish. Perhaps I will send a present with Em while she is out here!

Linda said...

Happy Birthday KC! Wow, time flies-- you really were such a cute kid (what cheeks!), and now you're one of the handsomest and best guys around, my favorite un-nephew!

Kassi said...

He doesn't even look close to 30. I am sure he gets that a lot.