Sunday, January 11, 2009

On the town

(Dark pictures will be explained further down.) We don't go on many formal dates. With just the two of us together all the time, it's hard to find an excuse for a night on the town, especially when it's cold. Yeah, we do the occasional I -don't-feel like-cooking-so-let's-go-to-5 Guys nights, but it's not quite the same as marking it on the calendar and telling people you are busy that night with a prior engagement, that being a date. And thanks to a little push from a gift certificate from some friends that have since moved, we made our way to DC to eat a lovely dinner at a darling, quaint, French restaurant named Montmartre. It was surprisingly quick drive (less that 15 minutes), near Eastern Market, and had ample (FREE) street parking. I think we'll be making our way to this part of town, more often. Parking is my least favorite part of driving into the city, so the fact that it was this easy, made for an even more pleasant evening than we expected.

The food was absolutely delicious (my Kobe steak being cooked to a perfect medium, and KC's rabbit on a bed of linguine melting in my mouth) and the selection of French desserts took me back to my training at school. It was way too hard for me to choose, so I let KC. He opted for the Frangipane tart loaded with fresh berries, in a pool of creme anglaise and raspberry sauce. Good choice. It was a lovely night, with my lovely husband. It was nice to chat about things that might not so easily come up in regular conversation while moseying around at home. Things that are known, but not always vocalized. We really need to do this more often. You know, formally.

I was trying out a new little prize I got myself, and while trying to be inconspicuous in a nice restaurant, I didn't want to use the flash. So I know I wasn't using it to it's full potential, but it's nice to have a pocket camera again, nonetheless. The one time I did accidentally use the flash, I felt silly, but am now glad to have the picture of my delicious meal. Isn't it funny how mainstream taking pictures of food is?

And of course, one of the best things about getting ready and getting out, is coming home, putting on your most comfortable clothes, and being warm under your wonderfully cozy electric blanket. At least it is for me.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

That sounds great! I think I might request a date like this with my hubby.

Lili and Jeff said...

How romantic! You guys are so close to the city. The free parking made the whole evening worth it, I'd say. Plus that amazing looking food. You guys deserve lots more of those nights out.

Cami said...

My favorite part of going out is coming home too. It's fun to go out, but only because a cozy home is waiting.

Nice camera!

melody said...

Glad you had a fun night out. I love the coat! Good choice.