Friday, May 08, 2009

It's amazing how quickly a heart can heal.

Written 3/23/09 to preserve feelings at that time. (Stayed in drafts and was continuously modified over the past few months):

I don't know where to begin. I feel that what we've been through is too miraculous, or too sacred to put into words, but I'll try. There are so many thoughts and feeling going through me right now, this might not all make sense. It's not everyday you experience a miracle, and I feel we have been extremely blessed to do just that. Let me start at the beginning.

We, as you know, have been on the adoption circuit, hearing about possibilities here and there. We put our trust in the Lord, and just knew that soon enough, parenting would begin for us. And, as you may have read before, we underwent several fertility treatments, only to find out devastating news. But the option of adoption always lifted our spirits and we persevered.

But I have a confession. We were doing a final IVF cycle during the time that I posted the protocol. I wanted to post the process while it was fresh, without telling many people we were actually trying again. The doctor told us this really was our last chance (and that chance wasn't good), and we agreed that this was our final attempt. It's too much physical, mental, and emotional trauma for anyone to endure so many times over, especially with my track record. So all we were really doing was finishing up that stage of our lives so we could move on without regrets. I could write all the specifics about that couple of months, and how I had a bad attitude, a lot of doubts, and a lot of anger for putting myself and my husband through that again, but that is not the point. I will say, that those particular two weeks between transferring our darling embryos, until the pregnancy test, were the hardest I have ever remembered, even though I had been there before. I was a wreck, and it was really getting to me. Everything was telling me it had failed again, and I was completely miserable, even though I was trying to tell myself it didn't matter, because we were just doing it so we could move on. I was so upset because we had taken a break of several months between the other three cycles, and I had gotten used to the idea of never being pregnant, and I was so excited about adoption. I was just upset that I let those feelings of hope and possibility creep back in again. And I know we're not the only ones that it took a toll on. Our dear families, they wanted so much for it to work. And our friends have always been there for us. I hated that this involved so many hearts.

The day of the test will be ever ingrained in my brain. Like I said, I had been a wreck for days, and just couldn't stomach the idea of another letdown of such magnitude. I woke up in tears, drove to the office in tears, and couldn't hold them back as they were taking my blood (and not because it hurt-I was used to it by then). The dear nurse that I had gotten to know so well from so many repeated blood tests, was so sweet while she held my hand, got me a tissue, and told me it was just her and I could say anything I needed to. All I could say was this was too much for a person to handle and the tears came liberally flowing. I went into the bathroom and let out my pent up emotions as quietly as I could. What was I doing there? Why was I putting myself through such torture again? My heart was ripping in half. KC knew I was in this awful state, and the poor guy just had to go to work and carry on as normal.

I chose to spend the morning at the temple. We have to wait until the afternoon to hear the results, and I wanted to be in a place free of my phone, and a place where I was literally stuck for hours and couldn't leave. I tried to relax, and I was sitting in the peaceful atmosphere, earnestly praying to just be at peace. I felt so afraid to leave and face the real world. I sat for as long as I could before I knew I should go and get on with my life. And that is really what it felt like. I knew from that moment on, I had to continue with my life no matter what direction it took.

I got in the car a drove home in the beautiful 60-something degree weather, listening to inspirational music, and was actually feeling peaceful for the first time in weeks. When I got home I turned my phone off, got in my most comfortable clothes, and watched one of my favorite shows. I decided, when it was done, to cautiously check my phone, even though I thought it would be too early for them to call. I told KC earlier that day, that I'd probably have them call him instead of me this time. I just couldn't take it again. It almost feels humiliating to get a negative result told to you over the phone. When I looked at my phone, it had three messages waiting for me. My heart almost stopped, because I knew who the phone numbers belonged to. The first message was the nurse who took my blood saying to call her as soon as possible, and nothing more. I quickly moved to the next message and it was KC.

He began by saying that he wasn't quite sure where I was- still in the temple, or asleep or whatever (seriously, it felt like he was babbling on forever before he got to the point)-but then he just said slowly, and kind of stunned and shaky,

"We have great news. . ."

I nearly collapsed there in the middle of my living room. I was crying so loud I couldn't hear what the rest of the message said. I just remember hearing the words: pregnant, freaking out, shocked, positive, etc. I was trembling. I listened to the last message from my primary nurse who always called me with results. She told me again, that the blood test came back positive, and a very strong one at that, and I was indeed pregnant. (Apparently she and about three other people were on speaker waiting to hear my reaction, and I didn't even answer.)

I, the girl to who the professionals said it was almost impossible, am pregnant.

Again, I lost my breath and continued to cry like a baby. I called KC, and when he didn't answer, I left a message. I'm sure it wasn't understandable at all in my state, but I wanted to talk to him all the same. Eventually we got a hold of each other, and neither of us knew quite what to say.

The next thing I did was call my mom, who happened to be with my sisters Amber and Cami. I had to say it three times because she said she couldn't understand me. All she heard was "pregnant" and said I was crying the same way I do when I find out I'm not. I reassured her by saying as clearly as I could, " I am, I am, I am!" There was a mess of screaming in the background and I don't think any of us knew what to do with ourselves. I promptly called Melody next, and she had to pull over, and we just kept agreeing that this was the best possible news we could ever hear. The next couple of hours were full of phone calls to the rest of my family, and KC's family, along with a few friends who knew we were waiting on results. My eyes were swollen, and my smile was permanent. There as a moment when I was just in the middle of the floor, not sure how I got there, but just sat there in fetal position in silence, and just held my tummy, while I said I prayer of thanks.

The happiness of our friends and family was overwhelming. So many prayers have been said, people have fasted, sacrificed for us. There have been so many tears shed, and years of support from everybody. How in world am I possibly supposed to thank everybody that has been so amazingly helpful through all of this? I don't feel worthy of such friendship and love, and truly hope that there is a way, someday, that I can return the favor. I can't stop saying thank you too the heavens in general, and I hope all of you know that it includes all of you that have been there for us, friends and strangers alike. I feel that through all of this, my faith and hope were sometimes hanging by a thread. I do sometimes feel horrible at the toll this has taken on others throughout the years. How it might have hindered with their happiness. But I hope with everything I have that I will be forgiven for the hard times our circumstance have caused others.

And believe it or not, being pregnant after thinking you never will be is actually a very hard transition. Even though this is a dream come true, I started to look at the silver lining of the way my life was going, and it started to sound pretty good. No morning sickness, no stretch marks, no labor/recovery... So to turn my mind around again was another loop in the roller coaster. But, I easily adjusted, and could not be more excited to be a part of such an incredible process.

There is a part of me that has some guilt. While in the infertility circle, we met so many others who are suffering. When someone overcame it, I couldn't help but be happy for them, but I was also extremely jealous that they were out of the woods, and I was still lost. I would hate for my situation to make others feel that way. I continue to pray for those deserving people, that they can reach the level of happiness that comes with being a soon-to-be-parent like I have.

I also want to say that although we have put adoption on hold right now, we gained a huge appreciation and testimony of what a wonderful blessing that would've been in our lives, and are a little sad to have to put it aside. But we are keeping that door wide open for the future.

KC and I can't stop saying how crazy this all is. I love him so much, and he has been an undying support. I don't know how he stays so strong. I know I say "I" a lot, but it's because I am writing. I'm sure he'd have his own page to write, if he wanted to.

So there is our big news that hopefully made a little bit of sense.  Our broken hearts have been replaced my excitement for the future, and so much love for our three little ones.We are still in disbelief of what it taking place in my body (though, as my tummy grows it definitely becomes more real). Twelve weeks down, lots more to go. Our heads are still spinning.

Oh, and did I mention we're having triplets?

70 comments:

Cluff Family said...

SHUT UP!!!!!! Holy cow! That is the best news I have heard in forever!!!!! you deserve it Emily you and KC both. Oh more posts please!! more pictures! More info. I am so excited for You!

Sarah said...

I love it. Although I have heard this story before (maybe not all the details) I still cried (again) like a baby when I heard it. No one is more deserving. I am so happy for you - there has to be something more meaningful or telling of how I (and probably everyone) feel for you two!
Also, I loved how you just said that you were having triplets as an after thought. :)
PS - I think you should check the year of when you wrote it...

Emily said...

Thanks Sar. Shows how my brain works during pregnancy.

Janine said...

We are so happy for you guys. I know what a horrible thing it is to experience waiting & disappointment. As you title indicates there is tremendous healing in such moments, and the years of waiting seem to shrink to almost nothing. If you think you are emotional now, wait until they are born. I cried and cried over Cora when she was born, and could hardly talk about her without tearing up for weeks. I am so glad you are going to be receiving such blessings, times THREE!

k d L said...

holy smokes. congratulations! you guys will make the BEST parents!!

Unknown said...

emily, i can't tell you how happy i am for you guys. i heard a while back, and have been checking your blog every time you post, anxiously waiting for you to finally make the big announcement. this is such a miracle and i'm so incredibly excited for you. i'm looking forward to belly pictures and stories... wow. i don't even know what to say. congratulations. you really do deserve this, and even with three at once, i know you'll be an amazing mom.

Lili and Jeff said...

I cried as well. I couldn't help it. Through your words I could just feel your suffering and then joy. I am so happy for you and KC, I could just burst! Don't worry, Jeff and I will come visit as often as possible to help out with the little one...s.

Hannah said...

I am crying!! I am so happy for you, Emily!! That is amazing news!

Jann said...

Oh Emily, I am so excited for you. Congratulations!

Luci said...

Even though we weren't supposed to know yet, it was the best news I'd heard in a long time!

Congrats! I'm so excited for you guys! :)

John, Jess, Ellie, Cade, Eden & Scarlett said...

Emily, I'm so happy for you! That is amazing news. You will be an incredible mom! Of three! Wow!

Janssen said...

What a sweet sweet post - I am THRILLED for you and KC.

Lindsey said...

Congratulations!!!!! That is an amazing story and we are so glad to hear. Good Luck with EVERYTHING! We are So SO excited for you and can't wait to hear updates!

Flake Family said...

Congrats girl... I started crying when I read your post! I'm so excited for you that you got through that hard time and now you are on to SO much fun! You'll be great!

Erin said...

Emily, we don't know each other. I follow Hannah's blog, who linked to this post. Even though we don't know each other, I couldn't stop myself from bawling my eyes out. I am a new mother with a one year old. This last year of my life has been more than I could've ever asked for. Motherhood is amazing!! There is nothing like it. I am so happy for you and this great miracle you are experiencing! I can't wait for you to go through all of the joys of being a mom. Your life will never be the same... and you will never want it to be. Congrats!!

Ty and Tiff said...

Emily,

You probably don't remember me, but I went to High School with you. (I'm Tiffany Isaacs). I just want to tell you how excited I am for you. I keep checking back to your blog to see if you guys have an news! What am amazing thing. Congratulations. You are going to make an amazing mother!!!! :)

Savannah and Braden said...

Oh yay! That is wonderful news!! Even though I haven't seen you forever I feel so excited for you and grateful that you shared such a miraculous story! What an example of strength and faith you both are! Congratulations lovely! SO happy for You!

Erica said...

Emily-
I don't know if you will remember me, but I am Jill Harris' cousin. We used to "hang out" in the summer when I would come and visit from Wyoming. I have read your blog for a while now, and have thoroughly enjoyed your posts. I am so excited for you! We have had several friends and family that have been in the same situation as you and KC and reading your post was refreshing. Congrats! I have a little six month old girl and from personal experience...The best is even yet to come. :)

Our Ohana said...

Wow, I headed over here from Sherbet Blossom and I have tears streaming down my face! What wonderful news for you and your husband! And TRIPLETS! Triple the blessings - how wonderful!

You are an amazing example of faith, courage and determination. Good luck in your journey ahead of you!

Kristy said...

Yes! I have been waiting for this post FOREVER (although probably not as long as you have)! You guys are going to be such amazing parents. Like everyone else I bawled through this whole post, poor little Mayzie is now soaking. We can't wait to meet these tiny babies. I hope you are feeling ok, but it is all worth it. We will continue to keep you FIVE! in our prayers so that everything will go better than expected in this pregnancy, delivery, and recovery. Can't wait to hear what baby A, B, and C are going to be. Let us know if you need anything.

Marianne said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA I LOVE the last little "part". Congratulations again :) Let me know when YOU know what they are so I can get busy with quilts :)

Karlene said...

We are soooo excited for you both!!! YAY!!!! How fun! Send pics and info as you get them!! We're so happy for you! Did you say when you were due? I may have missed that! You guys are going to be such great parents!!!

Cami said...

YAY! I wish I were there so much. Lame that I moved just in time. I'm glad you finally blogged so I can tell people! Congrats again and again. We love you guys.

Unknown said...

I can't even describe how happy i am for you! when you called me i teared up for you! and reading that again i cried! You are so deserving and you are going to be great parents! love ya lots! and it will be fun to get my twins are your triplets together lol!

Unknown said...

heehee, I still can't get over the fact that you are having triplets!! I can't wait to see your belly grow exponentially...these next few months are going to be good!

I don't have to tell you this, becuase I know that on some level you already know it...but, if anyone can handle three little ones, it's you.

Michelle and Cisco said...

The tears are flowing!! I am so happy for you guys. I can't imagine better parents. We are still praying for you everyday! We love you guys so much.

Jonathan and Janessa said...

Oh Emily, That is the best news I have heard in a very long time. You have been in my thoughts and prayers since I found out about your situation. You have been such an example of strenght and faith. You beautifully put everything you've been through in words. I cried happy tears. I am ecstatic! Happy Mother's Day. I can't wait to hear more about your three little ones. Now I need to go get a tissue for my sniffles, but keep us all posted. Consider yourself hugged!

mary plus vince said...

hi emaily -- you don't know me, i came over from your friend hannah's blog... even though i don't know you, this post touched me so much! i was totally crying here at work while i was reading it. you + your husband are great examples of faith.

congrats on your 3 wee ones and hope all continues to go well with your pregnancy!

heidikins said...

Oh my goodness, this is such an amazing post. It's been ages since I saw you (hi!), but I couldnt' help but cry/sob while reading this.

I am so happy for you and KC, congrats girly!

xox

emilie s. d. p. said...

I'm so happy for you and KC! What an amazing story. This made my day. Congratulations times 3.

melody said...

Okay, I read the comments first. So I think I'll wait to read the post until I'm ready for another good cry! I guess you know how I feel about the news, so I'll just say that I love you and KC and have personally experienced more joy through your blessing than I could have even imagined. So I can't help but smile whenever I think of how you must be feeling at any moment. (Even the sick ones - well, most of them!)Talk to you soon, I'm sure.

Erin said...

OK, you don't know me at all but I had to leave a comment... I'm a cousin-in-law of Kristy K's and she posted something about you being pregnant. I had to jump over & read your story. Can I just say I have tears in my eyes and I don't even know you guys! Never underestimate the ability of Heavenly Father to pour out blessings--- even more than seems possible. Congratulations!

Sara said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Very touching :) I am happy for you even though it is my first time on your blog :)

trevor said...

hey em, i just found your blog for the first time and it started out with this amazing news! i am really so happy for you and hope you the best. you well deserve everything good in your life...

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily, It's Autumn from way back. I went to your blog from facebook. I am so happy for you! You will be the best mom! This mother's day is going to be so special for you.

Kassi said...

I saw this on facebook and I didn't understand what it meant so I came here to get the Full story. Congrats Em. I am so happy that you are pregnant. I am so happy that you will get to feel your babies kick. CONGRAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Continue to post all that you feel. Tears certainly came to my eyes as well while reading this post. congrats again!

Casey said...

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you :)

Anonymous said...

Emily that's AMAZING!!! I'm so excited for you and this news just made my day. You may not remember me but I have looked up to you since high school. Yeah for triplets!

Woods said...

Wow, you are such an amazing writer! I cried the whole time I read it!! I have never been so excited about something as I am for this!! Congrats!

KasiaJ said...

Emily-
I've been reading your blog for awhile (from the link on Marianne's blog) and I just wanted to say that I am so so happy for you. Your posts about your struggle with infertility made me a lot more sensitive (I hope) when I shared the news of my pregnancy with others. I'm so happy for you- times three!
(PS-I hope you don't crave YP food like I did when I was pregnant- I was sad every time I remembered that I wouldn't be able to get it)

Katie said...

Hey Emily! It's Katie (Tom) Malbica haha I have been blog-stalking you for awhile and I guess now is as good a time as any to confess!!! haha I am SOOO excited for you! I cried when I read this! You have always been someone I looked up to, and I am so happy you are getting the little ones you've always wanted. Congrats! :)

Janice said...

You and KC and + three are in my thoughts constantly!! Tears are streaming. This is a wonderful post, and I just want to give you a really big hug. Hug my KC for me.

Melissa said...

Wow, what an ordeal! I started getting the same way when I accepted never being pregnant. I started liking the way we were rich because of two incomes and how we could go on mini-trips every weekend. Such is life! When you are happy with how it is, that's when it changes on you. I remember just being terrified I would have a miscarriage the first time. I was worried that I wasn't sick enough, not showing, etc. Funny all the memories your post brings back. You guys deserve all the happiness. Glad it worked out FINALLY!!!

Anne Bowen said...

This is news we've been praying for! Congratulations! We are over the moon with your news!

Chad and Bree Fowles said...

We are thrilled to say the least for your news. I got a little emotional there for a few moments reading your post. We Love you and your adorable soon to be big family!

The Hunsakers said...

Yeah Em! I was so excited when I heard the news from my family. Sorry, Whit just had to share the news. Since then I've been watching the blog extra close waiting for you to tell the world. Triplets is going to be so crazy. But a twin can handle it. I'm so happy for you and KC. I hope he gives you a killer mothers day this weekend since you are a mother now. Love ya neighbor.

Katrine said...

Congratulations! I don't know if you remember me, but I used to babysit you! I am Amber's friend. I am thrilled for you!

Desiree said...

Oh my goodness! THREE!!

Congrats!
Congrats!
Congrats!

Linda said...

Darling KC & Emily,

We are so grateful too for this sweetly answered prayer. You will be in our prayers and thoughts during the next few months, that the Lord will watch over and inspire you both in every needful way!
Linda & Tom
p.s. Grandma Draper (103) always prays for that which is expedient...if you start noticing, that word is in many places in the scriptures.

Suzie said...

Hello and Congratulations! Came over from Hannah's blog. How glad am I to have been able to read about this incredible miracle. All three of them. Can't wait to peek in on you again to see the progress.
So happy for you both.
Happy Mothers Day!

Janice Graham said...

Emily, this was a great post. I loved reading all the nice comments. My tears are all salty and sticky on my face. You are doing so well and will continue to. Isn't life so full of adventures??? These babies are so precious. And I was thinking, the 3rd baby (identical twin) is a natural gift -- no fertility treatments did that! You are super mom! Keep feeding those little ones!

Laura said...

Wow! I am so happy for you. i have been hoping for you and i cried when I read the post. Congratulations. That is amazing news.

Jonny said...

Hip Hip Hooray! Oh man, i'm totally stoked out of my mind for you two. You are so great and I'm so very happy that this has happened. They'll be here before we know it and I'm stoked to meet them.

Tracie Frost said...

YEA!!!! I've been waiting to read this post for 2 years! What a perfect story to read on Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day, Emily! And Happy Mother's Day little triplets!

Corinne said...

How fun that I finally started catching up on blogs on Mother's Day and I found THIS wonderful gem. Dear, dear friend. I hope you know how much I have prayed and dreamed of happiness for you in this most exciting of family ways. I remember when I saw you that morning, on the way to the temple - how I could just sense the toll this road has taken on you. You wonderful girl and your wonderful husband. I am so glad the cat is OUT of the bag and I can tell my family. And I get to see you soon. I can't wait :)

Trav-Amy-Kennedy-Shaylee Barney said...

Wow you and your husband are amazing people. The strength that you both carry will deeply touch my testimony forever! I am so happy I found your blog and just happened to read this on Mother's Day it just set such a different tone for the day! I wish you the best of luck! I know you will be the best mom with all your courage and faith!

Jill said...

Hi, you don't know me. I am Hannah's friend. I saw her link and came over to read your story. I am sitting here in my tears because I am so excited for you!! What a miracle!! I don't want to bombard you because you have plenty of other comments, but I too struggle with infertility. We've been trying for 8 years to get pregnant and have done every route possible. We have been blessed through adoption, which is the most beautiful miracle, and are we're starting the process again. I don't mean to pry into your life as a complete stranger, but if you have time or the desire to talk I'm curious to know what your infertility diagnosis is. Deep in the crevices of my heart and soul I long to experience that achievement of pregnancy and I know that the medical field is not always 100% right so I wonder if we should keep trying biologically...but it's not that I want "my own" baby, it's just because it's inborn in me and I want to experience producing life. It's so refreshing to hear stories like yours because that is how HOPE exists. I'm so grateful for adoption though and am excited to hopefully expand my family through that!! Good luck with your pregnancy and I hope it all goes well!!!!!
luckiestgirlalive at hotmail dot com

Mendy said...

I just heard about this from Jann this morning at the park. I am so happy for you. Congratulations!

Kim said...

Hey, I heard this news from your sister Lili who is in my ward...I am the adoption caseworker in Provo, so I came to see for myself. I am SOOO thrilled for you. Nothing makes me happier than to hear that people get to have the families that the dream of, no matter how the kids come. And three! You will be super busy, but it will be so worth it. Congrats again.

Jeri said...

Such wonderful news! I am so happy for you both!!

Natalie and Ryan said...

Congratulations again! That is great awesome story! What a miracle that happened to you and KC. I wish you the best pregnancy.

Chrissy Jo said...

congrats from one of Nicole's romania girls! II've never even met you and I'm crying happy tears for you!

Taylor Gardner said...

Emily, you and I have never met (I'm a friend of Melody and Jonny), but I feel the need to tell you how overwhelmed even I feel by your wonderful news. As I read your post, I cried. I cannot offer you a more sincere congratulations!

iru said...

a beautiful post. that is usch gr8 news and truly a miracle. im reaaaaaaaaaaally happy for u.
i just stumbled on your blog today n i luv it=)

James and Monica said...

Congratulations! I'm currently bawling, it reassures me that there is hope for all of us!

Jamie said...

Emily and KC I couldn't be happier for two such wonderful people. Emily, this is SO beautifully written, I enjoyed every moment of reading it. Thank you for sharing your wonderful story! I can't wait to keep reading! My love and congratulations to you both!!!

Heather said...

Congrats from another one of Nicole's Romania girls! I read your story and cried...

Lindsay said...

Hi, I just found your blog and wanted to say congratulations from the bottom of my heart! (one of my really good friends went through something similar) Yay!!! And triplets, so fun! I have always wanted twins....but triplets, now that's awesome!!
Have a fantastic weekend!

jeri said...

Came over from Hannah's blog and just wanted to say congratulations! What a miracle for you and your husband. We'll be thinking of you!

Sarah said...

Just read this again on the anniversary! Congratulations again. I am (again) bawling like a baby! Little did you know the true joy you would feel as you had these babies. Your heart almost bursts with love right? Oh man. I'm so happy for you and KC.