Monday, May 04, 2009

An annoying convenience

So we caved and got a land line. But, only because we wanted to switch internet providers, and we found one that had a phone/internet bundle for less than what we were paying before for internet alone. I thought it would be nice to have a land line. Especially since I still have a Utah cell phone number, and those around here that only have land lines always have to pay long distance to get a hold of me. And I won't worry so much about minutes, since I can make routine calls like the doctor, hairstylist, or whatever when I'm at home. We hardly ever go over, but just in case, it's nice to have an alternative.

Anyway, KC ordered a phone he liked online, and it wasn't here yet, so on Saturday he went and got a cheap-o at Walmart just to try it out. I haven't paid much attention to any of that since we still are working out some bugs. But today after my grocery shopping, I all of the sudden heard what sounded like some sort of shrill, high-pitched alarm. I got a little nervous and checked the carbon monoxide detector ready to book-it out of the house. But the sound stopped. And then it came again. So I walked around and saw that the lovely cheap phone KC got was lighting up as the sound was going. Annoyance number one.

I answered thinking it was KC trying out the number or something but it wasn't. I bet you could guess what the first call I ever answered on our very first land line was for. Yes, it was a magazine subscription salesperson. We are ALREADY on their list. I turned them down quick, and had a sigh. Annoyance number two.

If this is what having a phone in the house is going to be like-annoying rings, and annoying calls- take my name off that list. Maybe it will prove convenient in the future, but for now, I'm afraid for it to ring, and afraid to answer it. I think I'll take it off the hook for a while. That is one of the conveniences of having a land line, for sure.

3 comments:

Emily said...

hey em, you can opt-out of those 'lovely' phone calls so that people can't cold call you. www.donotcall.gov
hope that helps. :)

Kristy said...

That is pretty funny! How ironic!

Matt said...

Land lines are so funny to me. Once they were the lifeblood of our whole system! Now look. Today on the radio they said that something like 30% (iirc) of people have no land line, and that the number is rising quickly due to family budget cuts. It kinda creeps me out to think of the huuuuuge amount of infrastructure we have to support this dying technology. It gives me one of those planet-of-the-apes-is-really-earth kinda feelings. All wind sounds and tumbleweeds and half buried switchboards. Ya...this was a post instead of a comment.