Sunday, September 06, 2009

The "late triplets".

Since I am now 29 weeks pregnant, the nicu has named my babies the" late triplets" because they thought they'd already be born by now. This makes us feel a little relieved since they are used to dealing with much worse. (But not too relieved-we still want as much gestating as possible!) Anyway, can you believe it, only days away from another big goal, 30 weeks! It's been a rocky couple of weeks being in the hospital, with contractions all over the place, and not very restful nights, but I feel a little better mentally (physically is another story, ugh) every day knowing the babies had that day to develop inutero a little longer. One of my doctors has said that if these contractions were any more productive, we'd being visiting these babies in the nicu already. So at least whatever progression they are making is slow thanks to all this intervening, and we all have a little mental party as we go to sleep knowing we made it another day.

I'll admit, sometimes my hormones get the best of me, and I feel like I can't take any more physical or emotional anguish, and I want the babies out already! But then whenever there is a real threat, I freak out and pray that they'll stay in just a little longer. Oh the roller coaster! Of course, we have no other choice but to do everything we can to keep them in, and hormones won't have any say in the final outcome of their arrival. But I hope my sanity can make it to that day. I just want to hold these babies so much, my arms ache. KC and I are just trying to find our deepest strengths to hold it together on the hard days, and to have enough faith to know that everything is going to happen as it should. It's much less pressure to leave it all up to the Lord than to put it all on our shoulders. I wish I could remember that more often.

Mostly, things go pretty smoothly around here. They have me on a few different meds to keep the contractions at bay, and KC and my mom are always doing whatever they can to make me more comfortable and keep me from being too active, or too crazy. Mom and I have really made ourselves at home here with our computers, game-playing, TV vegging, napping, reading, going on wheelchair walks, just plain chatting, and getting to know the entire staff it seems. KC has been working hard looking at vans and accumulating more time off for when we really need it, and then coming "home" for dinner where either he or mom will stay to sleep over. So this is the normal life for us, and we seem to be in a pretty good routine to keep us all sane. Every now and then, I forget why I am here, and what will eventually take place. Before I leave, I will have 3 babies that belong to KC and me. I mean, I feel their jolts all day long, I see them at least once a week on the sonogram, I hear their heart beats at least twice a day, and still, it usually doesn't hit me until I'm about to fall asleep, and everything is quiet, and my brain is finally resting, that I'm going to finally be a mom. It just seems too surreal to think about. Oh man, we are almost there.

So here are some pictures of the latest:

Scary I know, but I had to include it. I had some scarier pictures, believe me.

I LOVE my wheelchair walks, as you can see. People always think I'm in labor so they panic when we are at the elevator, or when we need a door opened. We always reassure them that we have at least a little time left.

Mom did a little decorating. It's nice to see this right in front of my bed. The tiny onesies actually attract a lot of attention. The nurses love it.

I just had to include another walk picture since I love it so much. I hadn't been in the warm noon sun for weeks, and it felt like paradise.

Get ready for the 30 week picture coming up soon. This belly is really quite a scene these days!

17 comments:

Chad and Bree Fowles said...

Ok I started freaking out when I began reading this because it sounded like you had them!! hurray that their still cooking. Your so tough for sticking this out so well! I love checking for updates and am grateful your so faithful to blogging this journey. I feel in the know for once!!!

Emily said...

Thanks for the heads-up Bree. I clarified it a little to prevent any one else from freaking out. It really did sound like we'd already had them! Not yet!

Anonymous said...

Look forward to the coming days, chasing the kids around Sacrament Meeting.........you'll get through this and be so much the better for the hard work!
Praying for you.

Unknown said...

You are a beautiful pregnant lady and I'm so glad the babies have made it this far! I feel for you - at 24 weeks preggers with one kid inside of me, I feel crazy a lot of the time, so I can only imagine what you must be going through. I'm glad you have an awesome mom and husband to help :)

Janine said...

I love the "Belly and Toes" pictures. It makes your toes look soooo far away! I am sure you feel like they are quite a distance sometimes... Congrats on making it to 30 weeks!

Sarah said...

Love the post! I first started to get teary-eyed when you were talking about the internal battle you are fighting (emotionally and physically) but then died laughing at the belly picture!
We are praying for you!

Janice said...

Oh that belly! Loved the view you shared! My favorite photo this week for sure! Horray for 29 weeks.

Unknown said...

29 weeks!! this is so wonderful!! I gotta be honest, as I was reading this post I couldn't help but feel a little uncomfortable in your behalf...what you are going through seems impossible!

Love the pics, you look stunning!

Can't wait to see more!

Four Stevens said...

You're getting so close! Can't wait for the good news. Good luck to both of you guys.

Steven and Luci

Spilter said...

Oh Emily I love these pictures. You are awesome! I seriously love the belly/feet picture. You look great and I am so happy that you have been able to keep these sweet babies inside for this long. Man it is really amazing you have three babies coming I am so excited. Keep on hanging in there I am so glad your mom is there to take you on walks. You are beautiful.
Amber

melody said...

Ha ha ha! That photo is great. And I am SO glad you get to feel the sunshine every now and then. You are doing an incredible job, Em! I have never doubted you would.

And Mom, you are the best. I love the hospital room decor. We miss you!

Anonymous said...

Yay! We saw your family today at the cousins picnic and we missed you and your mom, but we're so so glad that things are going well still. Keep up your good attitude!

Matt said...

Great update, Emily! We love you.

Cami said...

Oh my goodness! You are almost there. It's so great that you've gone so long. Looks like you are enjoying your walks. It's good you get out a little.

Merinda Reeder said...

Yay!!
People ask about you pretty frequently... those who don't read blogs anyway. Way to go, congratulations, you can do it, and we're praying for you.

Shelley Nicole said...

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! You and that lookin' over the belly to the toes picture rock my world! Good luck! It's gonna go great! You're a trooper, and tell KC hi!

Unknown said...

Hi Emily,
You don't know me, but I've watched your blog ever since I saw your adoption button on my friend Jessi's blog. I took interest in you and your husband because you were trying to adopt, like my husband and I. You had a beautiful adoption website. The best I've seen. But when I saw that you got pregnant with triplets I was so overly happy for you guys! My sister has triplets and it's the best thing ever. They turned 4 in May and are all healthy and strong. They were in the NICU for a little while after birth, but have been healthy. Her triplets were born at 30 weeks and she was put into the hospital at 21 weeks, so it was a long stay for her too. Anyways, my husband and I have had lots of time caring for the triplets from the time they were born until now. We call them our kids. We would take them for weekends, so their parents could rest. And we even had them for 4 weeks straight once. We love them to death! It's a lot of hard work, but it is SO worth it. The triple blessing you'll get are amazing! I just wanted to wish you luck and let you know you're in our prayers. This is an amazing journey that you're priveledged to take! Triplets are the best!!!

Take Care,
Jaime