Sunday, December 05, 2010

One of those weeks.

I’m tired. The triplets all came down with a never-ending nose drip, and awful sounding cough type thing. And when you have asthmatic babies like I do, this is always a lot more eventful of a sickness than it should be. Ruby decided to get the worst of it this round. She had a slight fever a few days ago that came and went within a few hours, so I was crossing my fingers that she was on the mend, and it would be over in a few more days. We also had to pull out the nebulizer which sometimes she would gladly sit like and angel for, and other times wouldn’t let me hold that mask on her face if her life depended on it (thank goodness for the quick inhaler for those times). Well, when Friday came along and she was still coughing until she was blue in the face (literally, the girl was gasping for air several times a day), not to mention hardly sleeping a wink during naps, I didn’t want to make a run to the ER during the weekend, so I took her into our wonderful pediatrician to confirm that she does have an ear infection and needs an oral steroid for her breathing. Poor little girl. The boys are also coughing here and there, but they never had a fever, and have been sleeping so well. In fact, we’ve only had a few bad nights all week, which is a lot better than I would’ve thought given the circumstances. It’s just completely brain rattling, listening to your child suffer as they fight a relentless cough all night. Needless to say, Ruby (and sometimes other certain jealous boys) has been getting some cuddle time in the wee hours, which is better for everyone.

With the roller coaster we’ve been on this week, I am exhausted. I don’t get much done during the day, because every moment without the babies is used to catch up on sleep, or to stay afloat on any household chores I can’t manage to touch while they’re awake. (I didn’t even get a chance to finish my book for my book group meeting on Wednesday, which is embarrassing, but I went anyway to hold cute new babies, and to enjoy good company and good treats.) Thank heavens for Mom. I don’t know how my mom plans her trips so well to help me out during these tough times, but their sicknesses have overlapped a couple of her trips, and as much of a bummer as it is to use up most of her time with sick babies, she sure is handy to have around during weeks like this.

I am ashamed to admit that having sick kids doesn’t bring out the best in me. I am always embarrassed at what I say, and how I act when I’m overtired and completely spent. I know it’s just something that will pass and we’ll be back to normal again soon, but I can only handle so much. With the worry, constant decision making, sleep deprivation and tired arms from holding heavy babies, I just get a little irritable. Can you blame me? Luckily they know just how to cheer me up with their cute faces. I’m sure they want to feel better even more than I want them to.

It seems like I've written a post or two almost identical to this one. I’m sure the winter is going to being a lot more weeks like this. Hopefully we manage to make it through this season of sickness in tact. Maybe we’ll hibernate like last winter, cause that was a blast.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Having sick babies is the worst. I hope you don't catch anything!

Unknown said...

...and having sick babies x3 is especially the worst!!

Maybe it will be a terribly snowy winter so you won't want to go anywhere anyway :)

House of Ophelia, Kamtun said...

I really admire that you are able to cope with ALL yr 3 ADORABLE & BEAUTIFUL BABIES and the run of the house too and when they were sick, yr job was 3 times more. Not many would have been able to take this on, even when we have 1 baby it is pretty busy but 3, woo hoo you did it with gusto with the help also of your loving husband and yes, yr mum too and all the others listed in yr post. I am from Malaysia and enjoyed being here, becoming yr follower and hope that when you do, and I do mean, "do", hv the time do drop by my blog. God bless
http://wwwfollowingmydreamsandtotscom.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Oh man! I am so sorry. I can relate (slightly - you know I only have 1/3 the children you do) about the sickness. When I was in Hawaii Lydia was sick, teething, and off her sleep schedule. We were both overly tired and cranky. I was embarrassed at the comments I said and the snapping I might have done at my parents and/or Lydia. I think moms need just as much sleep as their babies!