Wednesday, December 01, 2010

The Stuffing was their favorite.

We had a very fun and filling Thanksgiving. It was great to have the Ribieras here to enjoy the feast with. And quite a different experience from last year. Even if last Thanksgiving did have its special moments and sweet memories, it was quite a relief to have my hands mostly free to make the food this year. Although, I do still have my hands quite full of babies, so we still simplified a little. Elise and I each had a share of the meal assigned to us, and around 4 pm, we all gathered ‘round the table for the delicious spread. The babies had plenty of options to choose from that they love, but I found out that they couldn’t get enough of the stuffing. I might have to keep that in supply all the time. 027After a post-eating lounge, the babies went to bed, and we had a great group of friends over for some games and pie. There was a lot of laughter and my belly was quite pleasantly full. Another year of good memories. 024

Now that the gates to the Christmas season are fully opened, I’ve had fun getting into the spirit of the lovely season. Last year was so stressful and crazy, I feel like Christmas just sort of passed me by without much thought about it. Almost like it was skipped or something. It was more about bouncing and feeding babies, and getting sleep whenever possible, rather than wrapping presents and trimming trees. Even watching Christmas movies was hard with constant interruptions.  My sweet, cuddly newborns were worth the absence of all the falderal, but now that they can enjoy all that this time of year has to offer too, I can see it being one of my most favorite Christmases yet! I wonder how they’ll react to what Santa brings them?

Elise and I enjoyed some mid-morning Black Friday shopping. I generally avoid shopping when I know it will be crowded, but I learned one year that if you go around 9 am, you really don’t hit that many crowds. It’s too late in the day for the all-nighters, and too early for the sleep-iners. We found some great deals, but didn’t go too crazy. It’s just fun to take in the Christmas cheer and listen to the music filling the air at one of my favorite outdoor malls.  

I’ve decked the halls with the few decorations I have. Our tradition of getting a real tree is going to have to skip a year or two. It is bound to be destroyed and /or have it’s falling needles choked on by wild children. So we opted for a fake tree placed higher than they can reach. I am sure it will make the season much more enjoyable for mommy, here. The top shelves were cleared for Christmas cards, and the bottoms shelves are reserved for gifts. It the perfect, little, out-of-reach nook to put everything. I’ll miss having a nice, full, fragrant tree lighting up our front window, but there will be more years for that. In the meantime, my delicious Balsam Ceaderwood candle will have to do. It’s kind of boring and unoriginal, but someday the kids can deck this tree out in all their cheesy, handmade ornaments. IMG_7856

I bought these stocking hooks after Christmas a couple years ago, in the hopes that we’d hang three stockings the next year: one for me, one for KC, and one for a baby (we were in the adoption process at that point). Little did I know that they would be used for three kids instead of one. I’m sure I would’ve been the happiest mom alive to have one child to hang a stocking for, so imagine my happiness now, having three stockings to fill with trinkets and toys. I am so in love with these three babies of mine, and can’t wait to enjoy this wonderful holiday with them.IMG_7836IMG_7840

Oh, and my mom is here! She got here on Friday. I keep forgetting to tell you! Elise and I are having so much fun with Nana Jan around for a couple weeks to join the never-ending baby party. IMG_7853034

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your tree set up! We haven't bothered with a tree for years... it isn't the same without a kid to enjoy it... but this year I decided we'd go all out and decorate! Hope your family has a great holiday season!

Merinda Reeder said...

Yay! I love your decorations and I'm so happy your mom is here. Hi Mom.

Janice said...

Reading books! I'm in! Love the Christmas decos and the perfect tree for little ones to enjoy from a distance. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Christmas season! Isn't it the best?!

Unknown said...

Nice to hear about your wonderful thanksgiving, and now Christmas. Glad your mom can visit, and will be glad when she's home.

melody said...

The tree is perfect. And I remember when you bought those stocking hangers. How sweet that all three are used for your babies. Who knew!?

Cami said...

The house looks lovely! Good idea about the tree. Your Thanksgiving food is always so yummy too.