Monday, February 28, 2011

A new grocer in the neighborhood.

There were rumors, but I tried not to believe them in case my hopes got too high. But after reading this article, the rumors were confirmed!  An Aldi less than a mile away! (Were you thinking it was something more exciting? Sorry.) It’s always been annoying to me that we’ve had a  grocery store just a few blocks away, yet I’d always rather travel further to a better one. It has been convenient when I am in a pinch, but it was old, and a little scary to be frank. Now, with a newly renovated store, and it being my beloved ALDI, I can get a good portion of my grocery shopping done in good time and good spirits.

I know a lot of the neighborhood is upset about this change, but I guess they haven’t partaken of what this great store has to offer. No, they don’t sell a lot of famous name brands (which I am not one to care about anyway) and they don’t have a full stock of everything (I SO wish they’d invest in fresh herbs, among a few other produce items), but I love it for what it is. I’d say our family has saved hundred of dollars getting our staples at Aldi since my brother introduced us to the place a few years ago. I think the neighborhood will change their tune when they see their receipts as well. Call me a nerd for getting so excited about a grocery store, but this will make my life a bit easier, and every little bit helps.

12 comments:

Sarah said...

we don't have those over here - but I would be excited too!

Lili and Jeff said...

OMGOMGOMGOMG! This is the greatest news ever!!!! We but have to step outside our neighborhood to shop at our favorite grocery store! This is blowing my mind! Those people are ridiculous, unless they enjoy paying nearly double for their groceries. They will soon learn of Aldi's greatness.

Bean said...

So now you have a new Costco AND a new Aldi so close to your house?! Awesome.

Cami said...

Aldi is the BEST. I was always annoyed that there wasn't one closer to Columbia. luckyyy!

Anonymous said...

I love Aldi!

Corinne said...

I would love one in my neighborhood. LOVE. My parents now have one around the corner so I'll shop there when I'm visiting them, otherwise I'll make a trip every other month to Hyattsville to go to that one :)

Merinda Reeder said...

That is a wretchedly negative article. They should have gotten a quote from you to balance out their dumbness. Really? We're going to whine about a store squished into half it's minimum space leaving - and demand that the replacement be a major chain? Major chains don't fit in 22,000 square feet, people. Duh.
Congratulations. I'm very happy for you. I love my Aldi, too.

melody said...

Oh yes, that is awesome. We also have news of a grocery store going in just a mile from our house. It's no Aldi, but I am thrilled to have anything that close!

Tracie Frost said...

That's so PG County to be upset about a crappy store with pitiful service closing. That Giant was the PITS!!! I remember shopping there pregnant with Arin and standing in line for over 20 minutes on the verge of throwing up. I can't go into a Giant to this day without feeling sick. Aldi has much better customer service and although they don't carry as much variety (amen on the fresh herbs - had Paul drop by our Aldi on the way home today for some produce, but they didn't have green onions . . . )they are always fully stocked. I hoped it was a Trader Joes, but Aldi's is the next best thing!!

Nicole said...

I'd like to say that Giant was more than a little scary! Good news indeed.

Janice Graham said...

This is, this is, this is . . . well, having stayed with you for weeks and months at a time, I can only say this is great news!

Love those snacks.

Matt said...

Yess! Fantastic News....