Friday, February 25, 2011

Times and Seasonings

Baking used to be the first thing on my mind. It was my job, my hobby, and even my therapy during hard times. There wasn’t a day that went by that I didn’t have a project in mind, or at least think of something I wanted to make. Never did I buy a pre-made pie crust, or frozen pizza (which are now staples I my freezer). I liked things made from scratch with my own two hands. Nothing beats the feeling of warm, freshly risen dough between the fingers.

But times have changed. Now, there are other things on my mind besides making my own puff pastry for the top of my from-scratch chicken pot pie. Either I’m too tired to make something, or simply don’t have the time. Nor do I want a warm batch of cherry chocolate scones staring at me, just begging me to take a bite every time I pass them. So baking is usually saved for time when it’s more necessary than anything. But I still love the excuse to pull out my rolling pin and dust the counter with flour, no matter the occasion.

Yesterday, I found we’d run out of bread. I usually stay on top of things like that. But I didn’t mind that I neglected putting it on my latest shopping list, because I was in a mood to bake. What is better than homemade bread on a blustery day? So I made my honey whole wheat, and enjoyed every second of it. Elise and I could hardly wait for it to cool before we cut thick slices to make sandwiches with for lunch. The kids can’t get enough of it either. Maybe I’ll leave bread off my shopping lists more often, to slowly work  this baking habit back into my life.

009

There are times when I want to pull out the big guns. All my tools, and recipes from my years in the business just get dustier every day. Don’t get me wrong, these babies are a WAY better trade off. I can’t even begin to describe how much I’d rather play with them, than with my blow torch and apple peeler/corer/slicer. I just hope now and then I find the time and energy and motivation to reach into that part of my brain for a little nostalgic baking. I’m pretty rusty (and still ashamed at how doughy my pumpkin cinnamon rolls were on Sunday-rookie mistake), so it might take a while to feel like I’m the baker I once was, but I know it will always be there. I can see some very fun projects with the kids in the future. They will be miniature bakers before I know it. I can’t wait.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Your bread is beautiful. Will you email me your recipe when you have a minute? I know a big part of it is technique, but if I have a tried-and-true recipe it will be a little better turn out. :)
Babies are more fun than baking -- but maybe not as relaxing as kneading bread.

Unknown said...

beautiful bread!! I love making artisan breads but I haven't ever tried REAL bread yet...for some reason it scares me.

There will come a time very soon when your cute little ones will love helping in the kitchen. Jack and Bianca love to measure, scoop, stir, and just watch!

SassyMama said...

Ummmm.... YUM!
I have always loved to cook but have been too intimidated to bake much. Just started making our bread a few months ago and have really been enjoying it. I can see why you enjoy it so much.

Here's hoping you find some really good excuses for more baking!

Cami said...

I make bread every Friday--it used to seem like a chore, but now I just really enjoy it. I DON'T however enjoy making cookies. And these people here ALWAYS make me. Lame. I have been wanting to do better with cooking in general (baking seems like it's always off-limits foods), and that's probably because I watch a lot of Top Chef. you gotta do what you gotta do as a mommy!