Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Obviously, the Jury Commissioner is not a mother of triplets.

It finally came. My first letter instructing me to report for jury duty. I’ve always wondered when this day would come, and was always grateful that it hadn’t yet (I get the same feeling of fear and relief every time I think about having to get my wisdom teeth taken out). If only they had written me a few years ago, things would be different. But seriously, it’s a bit tricky for me to take an entire day off of mommy duties without trained childcare that I’d be worried about the entire time, or KC taking off work. (And really, if I get to take an entire day off, is jury duty really what I’d choose to do with those precious hours?) Elise is even going to be leaving town that day, so I was really wracking my brain to see if this was really a possibility. I decided to check the little box on the back of the form, stating that I would not be able to report due to the inconvenience it would be to my family and included a letter stating my circumstances in a very professional manner. I even said that I look forward to serving at another time when my schedule permits.

Apparently that didn’t cut it, since I got another letter yesterday stating that my request has been denied. I could write more letters, and keep fighting it, but I think that would make it more trouble than it’s worth.I know it’s important, and I’m happy to serve, and I suppose it’s just one day, but a lot happens in one day with two year old triplets, so my mind gets  a little crazy thinking about all that will/can happen while I’m not around. I mean, I pack an entire backpack just to go to Target! I know it’s not that big of a deal, and everyone that is asked to report has a lot on their plate, so I’m sure they just laughed at my request, but it was worth a shot.  KC said he could take off a day of work, so I’m sure it will all work out just fine (but again those precious personal days are really something we like to save up for more family-oriented occasions). And hey, maybe I’ll call that morning, and be told I don’t need to report after all. I just think if the person(s) calling the shots here was a mother of triplets, or even a few very young children, she might have a little more sympathy for little old me. I can only hope that the case is good enough to make it worth my while.

5 comments:

melody said...

What!? They denied your request!? I got one a year or so ago and didn't need to report simply because I was a mother of small children. Man, seems strange a mother of triplets should be denied!

Sarah said...

Well, I'll just tell you my friend wasn't allowed to be on the jury because she had to strong a stand on the issue (drugs) -- but thanks to your strong religious beliefs, you might be denied too. Too bad they can't do the screening on the phone or on paper.
I did see an episode of some sitcom where he pretended he was seeing things that weren't there and they excused him :)

Melissa said...

I just say I'm the sole provider of child care and get off every time. It sounds really weird they are forcing you to go.

Michelle said...

The same thing happened to me in June. I checked the box about the inconvenience and wrote a nice note about my small children and no child care....and I was also denied. Fortunately, I was released around noon and NOT selected to be on the jury. One frustrating thing was they said I had to be there at 7am (or 7:15?) and they didn't start anything--even say anything to the group until 8:15! I wish I knew that, but I was too afraid of the consequences of NOT showing up! Good luck! You will even earn $15 for your time! HA!

SassyMama said...

Wow. I'm really surprised it was denied. I got a jury summons just before the kids turned one. I wrote out my excuse (including the fact that one of the kids had a medical condition) that I didn't have trained childcare available for the entire day but would be happy to be called when my kids were older.

I was excused.
Bah.
I hope they send you home early and you can go do something fun:)