Saturday, October 13, 2012

A New Fall Favorite

I love looking at recipes on blogs, Pinterest, cookbooks, etc. It’s a big time waster for me, as I’m sure many can relate. Most of the time I just look through the delectable things and sigh as I put them to the side, knowing there is no time or diet that with allow me to make everything I’d like to. But sometimes a recipes sticks with me, and until I just make it, I can’t get it out of my head. Often it’s breakfast pastries and baked goods that do it to me. Croissants, coffee cakes, sweet rolls, scones, doughnuts, strudels, muffins, quiche, breads of any kind, and so on. Of course anything that will make my house smell amazing while it’s baking in a hot oven is a winner to me, but there is just something about the hands-on process, and the flaky, crumbly, buttery nature of these types of things that really draws me to them. And to think I used to get to make these types of things by the dozens every morning as a job. Those were some good times. I had to practice some serious portion control.

Anyway, when a recipe gets in my head, I usually print it out and put in on my fridge. It’s my little staging area, so that whenever the opportunity to make one presents itself (besides me just deciding to make it because I want it that second, which I try not to do because I’ll be tempted to eat most of it myself), I can just grab it and go.  I’ve lately had a simple recipe on the fridge at the ready, and when my brother Drew and his wife Julie came to visit for a couple days, I was happy to have an excuse to whip it up. This is the source, and although I’d LOVE to make it the way it’s written someday, I made a very little change to make it more seasonal, and actually simpler for my life that’s just a tad busy right now. It’s obviously a very interchangeable recipe, depending on what you’re in the mood for.

So, here is my Apple Butter Cream Cheese Coffee Cake.

202205

Nothing extravagant, but seriously good. You should definitely add it to your fall to-bake list. I used the apple butter I canned last year. A perfect way to use it up (so I can make more), in my opinion. It was meant to be for breakfast, but things got busy and it was saved for dessert that night. I went ahead and had my piece before dinner. I really couldn’t resist. I don’t know if it’s better eaten hot, cold or and room temperature. Might as well have a piece each way to decide. Don’t forget the whipped cream, or ice cream (or both). Fall is going to do a number on my calorie intake.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, man, that looks good. I think I will make it today!

Sarah said...

Oooh! I have some apple butter I need to use up. I will be making this!

Wendy K said...

The Indian Creek playground was only just finished two months ago. It's very close to where I live now.

Jules said...

So good! So so so good.