Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Here comes the sun.

I feel like this blog has been a bit heavy lately. I was going to crawl into bed for a nap, but wanted to get some quick thoughts down before I do.

While wondering what to do with our wide open schedule today, I sent a quick email for a last minute play date with some friends at the park. It has been raining for days, and we all needed some fresh air, so I really wanted to take advantage of the great weather on the forecast. A couple friends responded, and we met at an awesome new park.  I don’t know if it was that I haven’t seen my friends for a while, or that the weather was perfect, or that the kids were behaving like little angels (well, they are toddlers so there was some whining, but you understand what I mean…), but I just left feeling good. Everyone had potty successes too, which still feels like a great accomplishment. They happily shared their doughnuts with their cute friends, followed my instructions for the most part, and were so chipper as we made the 25 drive each way (we are willing to travel for good parks around here). It felt so wonderful not to scold, or chase, or feel like I wanted to throw my hand up at any minute saying I’ve had enough. Even when we got home, Ruby put the cherry on top as she said, “That was fun, Mom!” , and Bennett made me chuckle when he kept saying goodbye to everything as he was getting out the the car, “See you soon, friends!” Alex fell asleep in the car and transferred seamlessly into his bed, and the others cheerily followed behind and fell right to sleep soon after they were tucked in.

I know it wasn’t anything momentous or exciting, but I wanted to remember that during this stressful stage we did have some good times, and there really are a lot of them. I’m happy to be a mom, I’m happy to enjoy the sunshine, those kids are the most precious things to me in the world, and life is just good. I’m going to bask in this residual warmth of the sun, and the feelings of this morning for a while, and try to remember times like this when things start going awry. Let’s just hope I get another few good hours before they do.  121129158159152141165178118We had a little too much fun doing a little photo-shoot this morning.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Days like that are just as good as the big momentous days. I love days like that.

Cami said...

Those days are sure important. Sometimes it really makes things seem hopeful when those days get closer together. Soon, those days will be more numerous than the hard ones. Hard to imagine, I'm sure!

BYU Grad Studies said...

Banking the sweet moments or days = the well you draw from when you feel yourself going dry. We all need it and 'running on empty' happens a lot to mothers of young children. You are doing great.