Monday, October 22, 2012

Embracing 28

I’m another year older, as of last Friday. I’ve decided to not be sad about getting older anymore. It’s just going to happen, so I’m just going to enjoy it. It means another year I’ve had to learn and grow, and spend time with this family of mine. All good things.

It’s funny how now, with so much to think about, I seem to forget about my birthday when its coming up. So it’s a fun surprise when I remember. I love this time of year for so many things, and a day to celebrate little old me definitely adds to the festive fall season.

I started off the day with a good work out at book camp. I know what we make people do on their birthdays (burn a few more calories than the rest of us so they can eat cake with a little less guilt), so I didn’t make it known that it was my special day. Really I just didn’t think anyone would care (my instructor Lisa was miffed that I didn’t remind her.)  Now that they all know they missed it, I think I might have to make it up this week. Oh well, burning a few more calories never hurt anyone.

I walked in to all my sweet babies exclaiming “HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY!” including all the hugs I could want (which they continue to say and do every morning, Why correct them?). Not a bad way to start the day. The traditional birthday cereal was also a hit with the kids. We were all happy with my choices this year. 059288

I had to take Alex to the Dermatologist, so KC took a half day off to spend with the others while my boy and I went on a little date. Aside from a little wait, and not many answers about his poor little lip thing that won’t heal, we had a great time together. That boy is a darling. 296298305

I arrived home to a bit of chaos. Who ever said that ended just cause it’s my birthday? Luckily I had a few tricks up my sleeve to keep all of our spirits up, and those few dollar store prizes worked like a charm. We all took a wonderful long nap, and what a gift that was (not a day goes by that I don’t appreciate it). I wanted to have something planned for the afternoon so it would continue to be a good day, so I let the kids help make cupcakes. Now, I don’t normally engage in these types of activities with my kids. With the inevitable mess, whining, and arguing over who-gets-to-pour-in-what, I just steer clear of situations I know will give me anxiety. But the kids are getting older, and I was in a good mood, and the floor was already dirty, so I was willing to give it a try. It was a mess, there was a lot of licking of spoons, and maybe a couple of egg shells had to be fished out, but it was such a great time. It was nice to just let it happen without saying “no” over and over. It opened my eyes to what activities we can do together as they get older. Not too often mind you, as that was quite a mess to clean up, but when we need a little change of pace, it will be fun to think of new projects for my kiddos and me during the long, cold winter. By the way, my sweet friend Tracie made those aprons for the kids. The kids LOVED them. Thanks again, Tracie!

070079090095120125 

I was able to chat with Melody a bit, and talk about what our respective families are doing for us to make the day special. It’s always a bummer when we can’t be together, but it will make the birthdays that we are together even more special, whenever that will happen. I’ve always loved sharing my birthday with her.

KC came home, and I went to get ready for out night out while he whipped up dinner for the kids. We ate the “muffin cakes”  the kids worked so hard to make, and they were a happy bunch.127134137141

We put the kiddos to bed, and left them with Jeff’s mom (in town watching Penny while Elise and Jeff were out of town), who graciously offered to babysit. We headed to DC, encountered zero traffic and found great parking in China Town near the Museum of Crime and Punishment where we had tickets for the Fright at the Museum. It made me feel like a teenager again, going to a haunted house, and clinging to KC as if that man was really going to cut me with his chain saw. It was especially eerie to see all the exhibits of notorious serial killers on the walls as we wandered around. I think I have to go back there when the lights are on and I can read up on all that creepy stuff. I’m a little morbid like that.  126124

When we finished, and I took a few deep breaths to get my heart rate back to normal, we found a great little basement Chinese restaurant (we were in China Town after all), ate some hot, delicious food at 10 pm, and had a good time chatting away. It was a great night that was a nice change from folding laundry while catching up on our shows. All in all, a fun day. It was so sweet of family in friends to send cards, gifts, and Facebook greetings. 128130131

And the fun continued the next day when KC made me a cake (we didn’t have time on the actual day). But not just any cake. He bought all the ingredients for one he made me about 8 years ago when he threw a little birthday gathering for me before we had even started dating. Lemon poppy seed sheet cake. It was even more delicious than I remember. What a sweetheart. But I hope it’s gone soon, so I’m not temped to eat it for breakfast every morning. 166

Only a couple more years in my 20s. Better make ‘em good!

4 comments:

Jules said...

Sounds like an excellent birthday. That cake was delicious!

Janice said...

I love Ruby's facial expressions while making the muffin cakes. Such seriousness! Glad you had a good day.

Drew said...

I love that I have some context for your house in pictures now! Yayyy. I'm glad you had a nice birthday, and erm, I promise we thought of you while we were across the ocean.

I like how that skeleton is staring in the window like a creeper.

Cami said...

Oh man, you're getting up there in the years's!! It sounds like a good day. I like those days when I can just let things happen, like making cupcakes, and not freak out about it. Um, that Chinese looked super awesome. And that cake too.

Drew JUST went to your house for the first time? Weird . ..