Thursday, August 09, 2007

Excessive Baking

Lately I have really been in the baking mood. As soon as I get off work, I have this sudden urge to bake something. Sometimes I have an idea of what I want to make, some things have actually been for something in particular, and others have just been something that I made to use up something in the fridge. Here is the list, most of which you'll see in my "something we've eaten lately" sidebar:

-puff pastry dough--(previously mentioned) I actually made this for something and it's in the freezer waiting to be used.

-Caramel corn--It was actually pretty intense. More info in sidebar.

-Banana whole wheat brownies--I was asked to bring a refreshment to a baptism on Sunday. I wanted to use some frozen bananas and just thought I'd go crazy and make them whole wheat. They weren't received as well as my usually contributions to pot lucks( I was told to my face that they weren't that good), but I didn't care. I wasn't that willing to bring something anyway. There were also two other fantastic batches of brownies there, so I asked for it. I don't usually make brownies since I know there will always be some already. They would've been great with a cream cheese frosting. People are suckers for that.

-Bacon and cheese biscuits--Made for something but I decided against it and now they are in the freezer to be baked whenever we desire.

-Key lime pie--I had to use a bunch of lime I had in the fridge. It is also frozen to be used at an appropriate time.

-Cinnamon spice cheesecake bars--I made this to be dipped in the chocolate fondue we're having at a baby shower this weekend.

Strawberry mango swirl pound cake--I use this fruit combination a lot because I made a not so great batch of jam with them. I like finding ways to use it since it's not quite jam consistency. This is also for the fondue.


I have a couple more things on the back burner (ha!) that I have to make next week. I don't know what has gotten into me. I've been known to bake during stressful times to help relieve it. I haven't felt as stressed as when this usually occurs, but maybe my body is just taking care of it's self. Maybe I've learned to crave my spatula and red Kitchenaid mixer when I need them the most. It's a great way to channel any anxiety into something productive.

By the way, the picture above is a batch of coconut ganache I made a while ago for something I didn't end up using it for. It is delicious on ice cream, however. Most of the things I make and have no use for, come in handy for the spur of the moment game nights or Sunday dinners with friends. Rarely would be defrost a key lime pie, for example, for just the two of us.

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Sounds like you've been having lots of therapeutic fun! Sorry Ben and I couldn't make the movie. We just got back from Utah and will have to hang out soon. I love all the pictures of your creations!

Cami said...

All those things sound fabulously inticing. That caramel corn looks dangerous!

melody said...

Please move here so we can bake together . . . I could learn so much from you!

Sarah said...

I think it is so funny that you bake all these things and never eat them. I guess that is your good control in there. If I would have done that I would be 10 lbs heavier!

Unknown said...

EM, YOU ALWAYS HAVE BEEN QUITE THE LITTLE BAKER. I MISS THE TREATS YOU USED TO MAKE IN HIGH SCHOOL THAT WERE SO GOOD! ITS PROBABLY A GOOD THING I DONT BAKE LIKE THAT I WOULD BE FAT FAT FAT. I LOVE TO BAKE ALSO, BUT I'M PROBABLY JUST NOT AS GOOD AT IT AS YOU ARE. OH ? WHERE IN MARYLAND DO YOU LIVE?