Monday, August 06, 2007

Shocked and Appaulled

We just returned from Wal-mart picking up an online order and had a less than satisfying experience. We know we need to avoid that store at all costs because first of all, the store itself is quite annoying never being stocked properly and being a mess in general, and second, the area we live in. The people that work AND shop there are so rude and distasteful. It is a pretty low income area but that is no excuse. I don't understand the ethics these people live by. We waited in the customer service line to ask where to pick up our order. She called someone to come to us, and after a little while of no one paying attention to us, someone had asked if we were helped. She had us follow her to the back of the store to where you are supposed to pick it up. We got it, everything was all fine and good and we were gladly heading out of the store to escape the madness. The store was actually closing in 20 minutes and the lines were getting wild. Luckily we didn't have to stand in one. So we stepped into the car and watched as a laughy couple in the car a few spaces over left their cart just rolling freely in the lot obviously heading toward a white truck. They saw exactly where it was going, got in the car, taking their time mind you, to adjust the radio or whatever, not even caring that they were about to dent another car with their cart. They knew full well it was happening and didn't even care. The cart gatherer saw it a quickly caught it before it did any damage, but I just stared. It honestly made my blood boil. What goes on in these people's heads? I am the kind of person that has guilt if I don't put the cart in the cart return even if I'm in a huge rush. And there are the people that just place it in a spare space because they are too lazy to take it to the cart return stall, and that isn't even as bad as just letting it roll to hit whatever it comes in contact with. If I must go to Wal-mart again, I'm parking in the back where no annoying, careless, people's carts will come in contact with it. But that is not the point. I'm so tired of people trying to get away with doing the least amount of work as they possibly can at the expense of others. Why are some of us so willing care about other people, while others seem to have never heard the golden rule. I witness this behavior a lot around here. Whew, I could go on and on, but I just needed a little vent. I need to remember that even though seeing this initially makes me wonder why I am so willing to go out of my way to be nice, and want to turn around and do it right back to them, I would never want to stoop to that level. There's so much to say, but I better stop now.

7 comments:

Matt said...

Man, you guys got red dolphined.

You bring up a really good point about the people. They really didn't care! I feel like people (especially here) don't even realize that they're not alone on the planet. They think they're alone, and act accordingly. Drives me crazy. And, the bad thing is, if you look closely, you might find that you're giving into it ever so slightly. We do, and remind ourselves that it's NOT how people should act.

I swear...what's wrong with people?

Janice Graham said...

That's what I'm afraid of, Matt, giving in ever so slightly. People have lost their civility, empathy, MANNERS and it's catchy! I think it's this materialistic, selfish world we live in where radical individualism is the rule (instead of the golden rule). Have to stay sensitive to these things as best we can. Yes, Emily, you got it right - what you saw was wrong.

Amber said...

I always put the cart away myself. In fact, instead of parking close to the front, I park close to a cart return so I don't have to be rude and leave in in the middle of everyone's way. It really bugs me when I'm trying to park and there are carts all over in the stalls Sheesh-people!

mylittlegems said...

We never go to Wal-mart here- well only once in a great while- because I have awful experiences there too- and Target's prices are pretty much the same on most stuff- and the experience at Target is much much better! I always park close to the cart return too- LAST night at Target however- there was a hispanic man yelling in Spanish at these two ladies in the parking lot- Aaron knew what they were saying- and I was about to walk the cart over to return it- and he said NO don't- well good thing I didn't because the mad man got into his truck and backed out really fast and he would have hit me for sure! He almost hit our car. So this was an exception- but it saved my life- to not return the cart :)

melody said...

Yes, it is always a bummer to witness how little regard people have for others. Thanks for sharing this story though, because it reminds me that I need to be more considerate myself.

Unknown said...

POEPLE ARE SUPPER RUDE THESE DAYS! JER AND I ALWAYS PARK AWAY FROM EVERYONE ANYWHERE WE GO, WE DONT WANT OUR CARS GETTING DENTED BY CARELESS PEOPLE WITH THERE CARTS OR EVEN OPENING THEIR DOORS AND DINGING YOURS. SO WE SHY AWAY~

Anonymous said...

Emily,

I have a huge pet peeve about people not putting their carts in the cart corral as well. Drives me crazy!! To me, the best parking spot is one near the corral, where hopefully even the lazy people will take the time to put their cart there. I whole heartedly agree!