Monday, February 11, 2008

Prescription: Slippers and Rice

Since Thursday night I've had sharp pains running from my abdomen to my shoulder blades 24/7. In the first hour of it I was doubled over in so much pain I was writhing, overcome with nausea, and could've open my eyes or hardly talk to tell poor KC what was hurting or how he could help. The sweet boy was bringing me anything he thought would help. I took a Lortab I happened to have on hand. Even that took an hour to take the edge off the pain and I also took an anti-nausea pill. He talked to his mom who happened to be with a doctor and he gave us a number of diagnoses. He was nice to help us out, but I was trying to believe it would just go away. I wanted some fresh air and it took everything in me to walk outside because of the pain. The cold sidewalk seemed so appealing on my stomach so I used it as an ice pack for a few minutes by laying down with my skin to the sidewalk and it actually helped. By then the two medications were kicking in with mostly the drowsiness. I got into bed with out changing to pajamas, or the other regular bedtime activities since it hurt to even move the slightest bit, with an ice pack on my stomach. I didn't even get in the covers. KC just covered me with a few blankets and I was out until 7 am. When I woke up there was still lingering sharp pains, though not nearly to the degree of the night before, that mostly flared up when I ate anything, or when I push on my stomach at all. I tried stretching the pain out with some Yoga (A group of my friends get together Sat. morning to work out at the church. We love it.) and although it didn't get worse, it didn't get better either. KC and I made our way to the urgent care to play it safe, and after a about 2 1/2 hours, I was given a prescription of Prilosec and told to go on a diet of toast, plain rice, apple juice/sauce, bananas, jello, and things like that, and to make an appointment with my regular doctor on Monday. She said that due to the varying areas of the pain she blamed it on the spicy foods we'd been eating for a few days. And I used dried black beans for the first time. Apparently my body doesn't like them very much. She wanted to know every ingredient I put in our dinner the night it started. It was like I was giving her a recipe.

I called my mom after seeing the doctor and she gave me a prescription I liked even more than the doctors. She said cancel everything for the next couple days, put on my best pajamas and slippers and just veg, forgetting about all stresses for just a little while. A lot of times this kind of pain is stress induced. And you know what? She was right. With the combination of easily digestible foods and my comfy new slippers, I was feeling much better. Today, on Monday, all that's left is a little heartburn type feeling, that Tums is really helping with. Am I glad that's over and I didn't have to see another doctor. I was getting very worried it would be something serious. I am so grateful for my health and to all those who helped solve this non-mysterious mystery. But I'm afraid to go off this diet even though I am craving flavor very much. Soon I'll be normal again and I'm going to have a nice big, and healthy, meal.

5 comments:

Cami said...

I am sorry you had to eat like my children for a while. But I'm glad the slippers and the relaxing has helped out. I don't like stomach issues. No good.

Tracie Frost said...

Oh no!! I'm so sorry you were sick. That kind of intense pain can be really scary. Glad you're ok!

Marianne said...

Ha Ha! I usually try to block Logan from my memories. Too cold! I hope you're feeling better! I had something like that last year about this time... I ended up having to go to the ER to get Morphine pumped through my veins before the pain would stop. I feel your pain!

Courtney said...

I had no idea you were feeling so sick on Saturday morning. You still had a smile on your face, as usual!

Woods said...

I wish I could be there to help you when you're feeling sick. I hate when something is wrong and you have no idea what it is. It's the scariest feeling. I am so glad it wasn't anything too serious. Love you!!