Monday, February 25, 2008

Small talk

KC's boss presented him with an opportunity to go to a scholarship type gala at the Hilton. We don't often go to these types of parties, but we know just what to expect when we do. The theme was Prom Night, as you can see on the ticket. We didn't take this literally and buy corsages, boutonnieres, and rent a tux, but we did see people that did. Only a select few, but the dresses were big, and the hair was very done up. It was really fun to people watch as we browsed through the silent auction items. I guess these people really look forward to these types of events. With KC not being extremely familiar with his few co-workers that were there, we didn't have many people to chat with and when he did recognize someone we had those types of "So do you like what you do?" and "the hors douvres are really good."with awkward silences in between-conversations, which always kind of annoy me. No one likes to do it, but no one cares to say anything else for fear of saying something dumb in front of someone they don't know very well. We did have a few laughs when we ran into some more out spoken people that go right pass small talk to real conversation with no fear at all. It was very refreshing. We had a great four course meal complete with multiple cheeses, coconut shrimp, steak, crab cakes, multiple desserts and had a great time being entertained by The Capitol Steps, a political satire type of performing group. You really have to keep up on the latest politics to get a lot of their jokes, but they seemed pretty spot on.

I have to say that I was very happy to leave. It was nice to match some faces to some names I hear every now and then, but I just couldn't help feeling awkward at at event that is mostly for drinking and partying with old friends, when I didn't do any of that. It's hard for KC, or probably most LDS guys, to get to know the other guys at work, when they biggest bonding moments are during happy hour, so we're glad we have great friends from church to eat ice cream with instead. At least I got to wear this fabulous shirt that a friend loaned me. It happened to go perfectly with one of my favorite skirts (don't pay any mind to my half closed eyes in this picture). And I had to show you the new look KC is sporting. I actually think he looks pretty sharp.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

you look amazing! that red lipstick is so bold...I don't think I could pull it off but you definately can. Scott and I don't make it out to many "galas" but I know what you mean about small talk and awkward pauses, they are the worst.

Sarah said...

well, as weird as it was, at least you looked great!

Woods said...

You two sure look cute. Sometimes it's fun to get all dressed up and eat good food.

melody said...

Yes! That outfit was perfect. Was that Jan's shirt!?

Cami said...

You are NOT very promy! Nonetheless, it sounds like an interesting time. We, too, are always glad for our ice cream eating friends after events like this.

Lili and Jeff said...

Glam-o! You two were the hottest couple at the prom! Em, you are such a fashion guru. We should go shopping together, and give each other a little last of each other's style. I would love to see you in the babydoll look! You could totally pull it off!

Tracie Frost said...

YOu look awesome and KC always looks sharp!

Amber said...

You guys look Fabulous! It's fun that you get to go to such fancy places.

Janice Graham said...

Oh, I hate office parties. Dad always would talk them up and say how great friends everybody was and then when we got there we always felt invisible. You two look gorgeous. KC is so handsome and I don't usually like the goatee thing. Love the blouse.

Janice Graham said...

Oh, I hate office parties. Dad always would talk them up and say how great friends everybody was and then when we got there we always felt invisible. You two look gorgeous. KC is so handsome and I don't usually like the goatee thing. Love the blouse.

Sarah said...

Em, I wasn't trying to be rude by saying you cheated. It was just sarcasm, but I guess I should be careful seeing that you can't hear that over the web. I am just jealous that you can do that, and are a better cook than me. Yes, you did deserve/earn that reputation. You are amazing... sorry if I made you think, I thought otherwise.