Friday, February 15, 2008

The V-Day Overview

It was quite an eventful day yesterday so I'll present you with some pictures to commemorate the day:


It began with heart shaped hole-in-the-breads. It was a spur of the moment decision but it turned out pretty cute.
It continued when I was babysitting and we made valentines for our loved ones. The kids all have a very artistic eye.

Iris at work.

Claire being her adorable self. She is moving to Germany shortly, and I will miss her dearly.


Wades favorite part of baking. Licking the paddle.
We made chocolate cookies with butterscotch chips and toasted almonds for their mom. She was thrilled with her valentines.

Now onto Dinner:

The table was set like so for a different than normal feel.

The first course for dinner was a Pea and Mint soup and Tomato Basil Bruschetta. I will admit the bruschetta is not homemade. I just had it on hand and thought it would go well.
We moved to the second course which was bacon wrapped salmon with a maple glaze, white cheddar wild rice, and steamed green beans. We were so full we could barely eat half of the entree. We're not used to this three course business. The recipe will be on Emily's Experiments soon.

Later on, we finally had room for dessert. This is called a Concord. In school my teacher made it and I have wanted to make it ever since. It is layers of chocolate mousse and chocolate meringue disks, with chopped meringue straws on the sides, garnished with ganache dipped strawberries, and chantilly cream. So rich. The crunchy on the outside, and chewy on the inside of the meringue, mixed with the silkiness of the chocolate mousse makes it a new favorite in our family.
The valentine I gave to my special valentine.



Cheers to full hearts and full stomaches.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

cute fun food! too bad you aren't here and I would hire you out. Your hair looks red in that last pic... weird. Melody will be jelous. :)

Cami said...

Wow. Nice V-day! That is an amazing meal. Jake was in awe over your cake and just kept saying, "What IS that??!!"

Marianne said...

Holy cow... I could hardly pronounce some of those dishes let alone dream of cooking them. I bet we (the non- cooking blog watchers) could pitch in together and pay you to make a cookbook of fool-proof things for us to make:)

Amber said...

What on earth? What an amazing meal...and the dessert! I still can't believe you can actually make those fancy things. I thought I was good making homemade peanut butter cups! Looks like you had a fun valentines day. You are the best babysitter ever!

Amber said...

Oh, and I love the hole in the breads!

Matt said...

Perfect Emily! You are amazing!

-Cortnie

melody said...

What beautiful pictures. Now I know what those darling kids look like! And the food! It looks even better than you described it over the phone.

Oh, and yes, I am jealous about the red hair. But I'm also happy for you.

Woods said...

I wish I had you to make me a dinner for Valentines, what a lucky man!! I LOVE YOUR COOKING!!

Tracie Frost said...

What a fun, fun day! We missed you on Valentine's day, but we sure enjoyed seeing you on Sunday. Thanks for making time for us! (and is the meringue/moose cake recipe on emily's experiments too?)