Saturday, March 08, 2008

Sour Milk

I am a fanatic about using up all the food I buy and never letting anything go to waste. I'm also a fan of getting the most for my money. So I try to be careful about buying too many perishables at a time, but when it comes to milk the full gallon is a much better deal than the half gallon, even though the half suits our tiny family better. I guess we're not much of milk drinkers. But if I make a conscious effort, I can use it by it's sell by date by making milk based soups and sauces, or milkshakes, and custards, etc. There is an occasional occurrence where we have about 1/3-1/2 of the gallon left, and because if my principles I refuse to throw it away. So I just use it in recipes that call for buttermilk or regular milk since it doesn't really get too rancid for a few weeks after the sell by date. I'm not grossed out by this, though you may be. Sometime I will swallow my pride and throw a tiny bit away but only if I I need to make room for a fresh carton and have a little of the another old one left. It's silly to try to fit three cartons in our fridge. But I find using it up a fun challenge. Here are the things I made with my last carton that was a little past it's drinkable/cereal eating life. The recipes I used are linked to the names.

Corn Muffins


Irish Soda Bread


Waffles and Pancakes (I used the whole wheat pancake mix my mom made for me for both. If she wants to, she can post the recipe. It is so delicious.)

Bread Pudding (this recipe was just thrown together, but it did record it and it will appear in EE very soon.)

6 comments:

Woods said...

Yum, those all look so delicious. We have the opposite problem at our place, I buy at least 3 or more gallons a week. You've always been so good at using things up. I wish I was there to taste your yummy food.

Lili and Jeff said...

I think it brilliant to bake it into something. I always use my almost not good any more milk for pasta roni. Very creative of me. I need to step it up and make some BREADPUDDING! You recipes all look so delicious! I love your food blog.

melody said...

Yes, they all look great, but I am a big fan of the bread pudding. Remember when we ate some at some New Orleans type place in Downtown Disney? Let's do it again sometime.

Sarah said...

Bravo! I need to learn some tips from you!
Do you have a really good recipe for bread pudding? It is like my favorite dessert... well, one of. :)

Amber said...

I also hate to waste. Did you know you can freeze milk? If you get worried that you won't use it in time, throw it in the freezer. Protein shakes are also a good way to use it up, if you aren't using soy milk that is! Those foods looks delish as usual!

Matt said...

See. You're Brave. I have no problem wasting milk that I even think might have gone bad.