Tuesday, November 18, 2008

We are nerds. . .

. . .and we know it. You will see as you view the slide show just how dorky sisters can be when they get together. There's something about being completely comfortable with your company, and knowing that whatever you do or say doesn't matter because those people will love you no matter what. I think that is the main thing I took away from this weekend.

I'll start by saying that the slide show you are about to watch, should you decide to, is pictures taken with both Cami's and Melody's cameras. So there are a lot of baby Jane shots (which are so cute), and other shots of Cami's photography skills or whatever.

So we'll start with Thursday night. They were scheduled to land at about 10 pm in DC. It was fun staying up to wait for them, but hard to wait the entire day. And to make matter worse, their flight from their layover was delayed over two hours. So the plan that Cami and I had to surprise then at the airport (instead of them taking the metro conveniently in the airpot) was down the tubes, and KC and I just went to pick them up at about 12:30. Good thing they were on Utah time and it was 2 hours earlier to them. It was hard to go to sleep with so much to talk about and wanting to just be together, but we finally did.

The next morning, Friday, we got up and got ready together. (There's something so fun about getting dressed and ready in the morning with people to talk to and get advice from. It always seems we wear someone else's clothes when we are together cause it's just more fun.) We made our way to Cami's house, and promptly went to the Mall where we of course had a great time buying things we did, and didn't need. We went back to Cami's for siesta time and to re-watch The Office for some laughs. We headed to the store for the makings of loaded nachos. It's a bad thing for me to eat nachos with everything and fresh salsa. I can't stop. So after we were sick with our stomachs stuffed to the max with the delicious junk food, we very excitedly played a few games and laughed until our stomachs hurt some more, like we always do. Amber stayed to sleep at Cami's and Melody came along with KC and me.

Saturday morning, I think we all had a little hangover from the night before, so we took it easy in the morning. The weather was weird being all 70s and raining. Melody and I went to get dinner stuff (her first time at Aldi, I'm so proud) and of course Target. It's so much more fun to do the regular things with different, people, ya know? The other girls came over, we made delicious sandwiches, and decided to take a little trip down town to DC. It is very close to my house after all. After FINALLY getting to a parking garage, we went to Ford Theater that happened to be closed, bummer. So we thought we'd just go see an IMAX at a Smithsonian museum or something. We got to a corner, something like Pennsylvania and 12th, only a few block from the White House, when we were stopped on all sides by police not letting us cross the streets. All kinds of sirens and bulletproof cars with different flags mounted on the hoods passed us. And they just kept coming. KC told us later it was the G 20, coming to discuss some economic issues or something. Pretty cool to witness nevertheless. While we were waiting to cross, merely blocks from our destination, the wind started to feel the eerie way it feels before a downpour. I warned the girls of what was to come, and not soon after, the giant raindrops were upon us like crazy. We ran into the nearby drugstore, keeping cute little Jane in mind. We bought some garbage bags to wrap our valuables in, and decided to head back to the car. It pretty much stopped raining, but we were done anyway. We rested a little at my house, did a little dinner prep, and headed to Cami's for dinner. The boys were already there watching some intense BYU game or something. We enjoyed pasta with homemade turkey spinach meatballs (soon to be in EE), and had to go on an ice cream run. The key lime pie ice cream was awesome. KC, Melody and I left a little earlier, being exhausted from our long day. We tried to stay up and watch a fun old movie, but sleep got the better of us.

So, we had big plans on Sunday. I suggested we go to Philadelphia, with that being on mine and KC's list for this fall. Amber and Melody were very excited to run up the Rocky steps, and I REALLY wanted a Philly cheese steak from Geno's. We found out from the guy behind us in line that it was the best of the best. We knew it was famous, but we were glad to have a seasoned Geno's eater confirm it. So we walked up to the window and ordered our "wiz wit" (that's the lingo for Cheese wiz with onions, the best way to have it) and thoroughly enjoyed them in the car, due to the bitter cold. We saw Liberty Hall, the Liberty Bell, walked on some charming and quaint cobblestone roads, and last but not least ran up the step of the museum that Rocky himself climbed during a dramatic scene in the movie (that I have yet to see in full. I know, I know, it's crazy that I haven't yet). This is where the extreme nerdiness came it. Amber, the craziest of us all had us laughing so hard with her energy and giddiness. She is quite a character. We all took our turns, Melody and I going together, and took a lot of embarrassing movies and pictures to prove it. It was an event to remember. We rested a lot on the 2 1/2 hour drive home, but had a nice warm pot roast and veggies ready for us in the crock pot when we got there. A great meal after a long day in the cold. We couldn't help but watch a few really funny SNL clips on hulu, including The one I have posted below, that we couldn't help but sing constantly because of the fact that we were all together, and sister, like it states in the song. I guess watching ridiculous things online is one of our favorite pastimes. Lili must have done it to us. We so wished you were there with us. Maybe you could've found more for us to laugh hysterically at. Anyway, we left exhausted once again, and went straight to bed. It's never fun waking up and getting ready the day fun guests have to leave. But their flight didn't leave until the afternoon, we we had time to grab a bite at Panera, and go to Target, yet again to get last minute items. I took them to the airport in DC, passing the beautiful monuments that are so close to the freeway. It's always nice to remember how close we are to such a historical place. We said our goodbyes, and though this usually involves a lot of tears, we were gladdened by that fact that Cami and I are planning to come there in a couple months. In fact, last night, I purchased my tickets to arrive at the end of January. It was seriously the cheapest tickets I've seen in so long. I'm staying for a long time with no plans, so it will be so much fun to chill together all over again. And this time with more people that I dearly miss.

So, sisters, I am so happy to have been able to have fun with you guys. There's really nothing like getting together with family and just laughing to tears. I miss you so much already. Cami and I will see you soon, so look at all these pictures with fondness until we take another 200 when we come to see you.

5 comments:

Drew said...

I be jealous when I look at these pictures. I haven't been to see you all for literally years. I'm glad you had a great and good time, and to see the photos.

melody said...

Yesh, it was awesome. (That "yesh" was a typo, I decided to keep it in honor of Micheal Scott.) Thanks for the detailed post, I knew I could count on you! And thanks for the food, fun, accommodations, etc. See you in two months!

Sarah said...

I didn't really read your whole blog... sorry to admit it. But the pictures made it look so so fun!

Woods said...

It sounds like you had a blast! I heard some good stories from Amber. I wish I could have been there too. You guys are way too fun. I miss you!!

Cami said...

Very fun! Yeah, um, sorry about that slide show. I should have condensed it, but I figured you could do that work if you want. Thanks for doing the trip in detail. I had no such energy to do it.