Saturday, December 06, 2008

Honorable mentions

Just like Melody did with her top Christmas songs list, I thought I needed to add a few more movies that remind me about Christmas. I guess I feel like I can watch these any time of the year, whereas the others are strictly for Christmas time. That's why I have such an urgency to watch them-so I don't I have to wait another whole year. So here's a few more honorable mentions.

Sleepless in Seattle
-"Harses, harses, harses."
While You Were Sleeping-I think this movie inspired all the girls in my family to love big, comfy sweaters.
You've Got Mail-There are only a few short Christmas scenes, but I love seeing Christmas in New York. And when they sing the instrument song at their Christmas party. My family always sang that together in the car before we saw that movie.
The Family Man-Kind of Christmas Carol-ish, but a sweet movie with a lot of charm and great acting.
The Nativity Story-This would be in my top ones, but you can watch this one all year because of it's importance. I just love the new one that hit theaters a few years ago.

Is that all? What am I forgetting?

Anyway, we're doing well so far. We watched The Grinch on TV last night while babysitting, and fell asleep to Holiday Inn. I finished it this morning, and I'd totally recommend it. It's pretty funny that they keep breaking out into song and dance that they just heard or saw for the first time and do it perfectly. And Bing himself sings "White Christmas". I thought it was first debuted on White Christmas, but I was wrong. Holiday Inn was made 12 years prior to White Christmas. Here are some fun facts about this song, written by Irving Berlin. Including that it won an Academy Award for Best Original Song from it's appearance on Holiday Inn. I was laughing, and swooning all the way through. It even left me with a few tears. A voice can't get much silkier than Bing's.

3 comments:

Cami said...

They sang the instrument song? Weird. I'll have to watch it again.

Great list!

melody said...

Oh yeah, Family Man. We love it too.

Drew said...

Heck yes, The Nativity Story was brilliant! I'm glad you added it. And of course the harses. "Ring-aling-aling!"