Friday, December 26, 2008

And so this is Christmas (My long, way too many details included, record of the holiday week.)

I could not have been more relaxed this holiday season. I guess things got done early enough that I could really enjoy myself. I was in a kind of mourning yesterday that I really have to put away the music and all the decorations and the tree (a Forgotten Carols song comes to mind). I admit, some years I am ready for the change that the day after Christmas brings, but when I go in the car and turn on the radio to find regular music, I don't know if I'll like that. This year I just wanted a few more days. But I guess it's time. But "It's a Wonderful Life" is coming in the mail today, so I guess it's not so weird if we watch that. As much as I want the season to continue, I always feel weird to keep Christmasy things going when it's finished. I like things to be over where they're over. You know, move on. Besides, Christmas always comes so fast, it will seem like no-time when it's here again.

So on with the happenings. Like I said, we were (and still are) having a very chill Christmas, and loving every second of it. We purposely didn't make many plans so we could enjoy some time together this year. We had such a good mix of family, friends, and alone time, it worked out just great.

First, I wanted to show you the pics of Wade and Iris when they opened my gift to them. I watched them on Monday. They were leaving town the next day, and we really needed something to do, so we played with the Ice Cream maker ball I gave them. It was so cute when they opened it because they had just woken up. I imagined Christmas morning wouldn't be much different. They loved it and could barely get through breakfast, they wanted to make it so bad. Of course they got bored and didn't really want to play with it (which is required for the ice cream to be made), they just wanted the Ice cream. So I started to just make it for them, until I told them that I would eat it all by myself if I made it all by myself (a Little Red Hen type of lesson) and they joined right in. Such cute kids. I'm glad they liked it.

Tuesday was spent grocery shopping, food prepping, and resting. We decided to go out for dinner cause I just wasn't feeling like cooking. I guess I had so many odd jobs in the kitchen that I was alright with skipping any meal prep that night. It's not like I had any big dinners to prepare or anything, but sometimes, you just want to be waited on, you know? We slept by our tree one last time that night.

Wednesday, Christmas Eve, we didn't have any plans until the evening, so we made our own. We loved ice skating at the National Gallery of Art in DC last year so we thought we do that again. They have a skating rink in the outdoor sculpture garden. It was so fun to drive through the city and see all the families and friends being busy together and the decorations on the streets and buildings. And we drove right past the Capitol. It's always a nice sight. There were lots of happy faces on the ice, but not too many. I felt like we had a plenty of space to have fun. We were lucky to get any pictures. I just brought our little camera, and it was pretty much dead, (since we hardly ever use it, I forget to charge it). But it would usually let us take one before it shut down. I was griping about it, but I decided to let myself enjoy the moment instead of worrying about great pictures of a beautiful, overcast, 50 degree Christmas Eve in DC surrounded by lovely monuments. Do you ever feel like pictures have taken over your life? Anyway, they were playing lovely music and it was a great way to spend some time together. KC dropped me off at home so he could do his Christmas shopping-such typical husband behavior (seriously, I was done weeks ago), but I'm not complaining. It gave me time to have a nice rest. We then headed to the Turpin's to have our traditional fondue. A few friends from Cami's ward were there too. Cami prepared some great Swiss and cheddar with and others brought plenty of dippings. It was delicious. Of course we also had our festive nog (sprite/eggnog mixed-thanks Cottrells) and I brought lime-coconut trifle for dessert (I was getting tired of winter flavors). The kids then put on a nativity play while it was read from the Bible. It was hilarious, of course, with our impromptu costumes, and baby shepherds (who like to chew on their play sheep). The friends went home to have their respective family Christmas Eve time, while we stayed at the Turpins at opened our traditional pjs from my parents. I think these are my favorite by far. I wish you could feel them. They are heavenly. They little boys were thrilled with their Wii pants, and the older boys thought their BYU hoodies were pretty cool (it isn't always pjs. Last year my mom got the girls robes and the boys blankets. It's fun when it switches up.) I can't believe our parents still do such a nice thing for us kids. I told her she could stop, thinking she might be tired of the responsibility, but I'm glad she hasn't. I always look forward to it. Thanks mom. We chatted with Lili and Jeff via web cam (she's in California with in-laws), dressed the baby like and angel and laughed a lot, and then we then watched The Dark Knight, (not too Christmasy but I had never seen it) and whoa, that is one scary movie. We made our way home to make some breakfast preparations, and fell asleep to a wonderful show, Hollywood Christmas. It is available to watch instantly on Netflix. We just found it while looking for something Christmasy to watch. It must've been made for tv or something because it's a show hosted by Jane Seymour and she takes you through all the best Christmas movies from the first ever, to 1996, when this program was made. It showed us clips from a lot of our faves, and gave me ideas for my list next year. I did pretty well this year with my movie list, but there are always more to watch. This is a great way to finish up our Christmas movie watching. I highly recommend it.

On Christmas morning I woke up, earlier than KC of course. It was such a beautiful, clear morning with a great sunrise coming through the windows. I put our traditional breakfast in the oven, and finished the show we fell asleep to. KC joined me for that. Then we gave each other our stockings. In KC's family it's a tradition to draw names, get the allotted spending amount from mom, and fill that person's stocking. It was fun to do each other's. Then we proceeded to present opening. We were delighted with our gifts from our families and each other. We felt so overwhelmed with love and gratitude. We always get showered with gifts from our family, and it makes me feel like I never do enough. But I suppose that is not what Christmas is about. So we thoroughly enjoyed everything. There wasn't one gift that won't be put to great use. We cranked up the Christmas music, and ate a delicious breakfast of pull-aparts (my family's tradition) and breakfast casserole (his family's tradition). There was no room in our stomachs for any stocking treats after that. I got to talk to Melody and Julia on her new web cam. It was great! We also gave one to KC's family. We need to get it up and running so we can chat with them too. I love these web cam things. It helps so much with not being able to see everyone who is far away. We got ready for the day, and went to see Bolt with the Turpins. It was such a cute movie. I really had a good laugh. We went to see all the great things Santa brought the boys (KC was especially excited). After some game and piano-duet playing, we went home to get ready for game night with some friends, the Reeders and Stromsdorfers. And just like the day began beautifully, it also ended that way with an amazing sunset we enjoyed as we drove. (The weather was so nice. In the 50s all day.) We ate so much good food, played some rousing games and laughed to tears. A wonderful way to finish a wonderful day. We are so blessed to have such great family and friends around us. It wouldn't have been the same with out them.

So that's that. Christmas is done for the year, and we truly enjoyed ourselves. I will also say that I have been thinking about my Savior a lot this season. Boy, have I needed him this year. I always have, of course, but I honestly can say that he helped me survive some things I never thought I could. We owe our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ so much for what they have done for us. I'm so happy to celebrate the birth of the child who was born to save me from the tests and trials of this life. What a true miracle and blessing. I love him dearly.

So we were asked to be Mary and Joseph again in the Live Nativity at the DC Temple tonight. That is our only plan for the day so maybe I'll clean up all the gifts, boxes and wrapping paper in the living room that haven't moved since yesterday morning. Or maybe not. KC is still in bed and I think he is really enjoying that. Speaking of him, I also want to say that I have absolutely loved spending this special holiday time together. We have really had a chance to bond and create such fun memories and traditions. Of course we'd love to travel and be with more of our family, but there is something so special about just being together. Christmas day is our engagement anniversary after all (three years ago). He does so much for me, and there is rarely a complaint from him mouth. I'm a lucky, lucky girl. (Plus he got me a tri-pod for our camera that makes me very happy.) Oh, he just woke up. I better heat him up some breakfast leftovers.

So, you made it! I'm surprised I even did. But I had to record all of these delightful memories for my family, so thanks for baring with me. Merry Christmas to everyone. Get ready for a new year!

5 comments:

Janice said...

Thank you for writing all the details and all the pictures. I felt I got to be a part of your day. And the Cracklin Oat Bran brought me to tears! Love you two.

Lili and Jeff said...

Wow, that was awesome Emily. I have been waiting and waiting to hear about everyone else's Christmas, so thanks for the very detailed post! I will wait to give your present to you when you are here soon!!! I can't wait! That kind of makes the post Christmas sadness turn into happiness, knowing that you guys are coming!!!

Cami said...

What a great Christmas!! See, not so bad to be "alone" out here. We were glad to have you guys for some of it.

I know how you feel about the pictures. Remember how I didn't remember my camera for Philly? I was so mad, and I had to force myself to forget about it and have fun. Lame.

melody said...

Awesome. I did read the whole thing, and enjoyed it all. We are half-way through the Hollywood Christmas show and are loving it. There are several I must see next year as well.

iamegyptian2100 said...





شركة شحن عفش من الرياض الي الامارات-دبي
شركة شحن من الرياض الى الامارات
شركة شحن من الرياض الى الامارات
شركة شحن من الرياض الي الامارات
شركة نقل اثاث من الرياض الى الامارات
شركة شحن من الرياض الي الامارات
شركة شحن من الرياض الي الامارات
شركة شحن من الرياض الي الامارات