Monday, December 08, 2008

A magical moment

(I didn't take this picture, just googled it. But It was just what I was looking for.)

I just wanted write this so I will always remember a cool experience we had on Saturday night.

We were going to visit some friends who have recently moved to Virginia. She is going to have her baby in a matter of days, so we were definitely due for a visit. It's always fun driving to Virgina (once you get past to crazy winding roads and know where you are going, and if the traffic isn't bad) because from our house you have to pass the Capitol Building, and the Jefferson Memorial among other landmarks to get there. They are easily seen from the highway, only a couple blocks away. I always like that reminder of our close (a few miles from home) proximity to such a historical place with such incredible architecture. But, that's not what I loved so much of about this night. It started to snow on the way there and I was a little miffed at how cold it was, but thought it was kind of festive and really made it feel like Christmas is here. After a great time of dinner, shopping and games with the Wahlquists (Hooray, I won a game of 5 Alive!), we set off for the hour drive home. The GPS decided to take us through the heart of DC to get us home, or KC manipulated the route a little to go that way. I usually avoid it at all costs, but with it being Saturday night, there wasn't much traffic, so I was able to sit back and enjoy it.

The scene was something I'll never forget. The sky was slightly orange, though it was almost 11 pm. The lights from the city made that kind of eerie color. But that, mixed with the fog created by the lightly falling snow, created the most incredible scenery. We were driving mere feet from the Washington Monument, Lincoln memorial, and everything else around them. They were lit up so brilliantly, magnified by the powdery snow, and reflected on the Potomac. I just couldn't get enough of it and was sad when it was over within moments. It was completely serene and peaceful, in a place where that rarely happens. I was happy to have that peaceful moment. I wonder if it will ever happen again just like that night?

5 comments:

Tracie Frost said...

Paul just said last night, "I miss DC." I do too - just because of those once-in-a-while magic moments. Thanks for posting this one.

Cami said...

Oh, that is very cool! I love it when the sky turns weird colors.

Amber said...

That is awesome!

Amber said...

That sounds amazing! It is always awesome to me that you live so close and just drive by those places. I love it!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the picture and the lovely description. Wish I had been there.