Wednesday, March 11, 2009

It's time


I suppose I should finally write this and get it over with. I know it will make me sad since I've been trying not to think about it. But when you write, you have to think, so I have to come to grips with reality.

The Turpins, my sister Cami and her family, are moving from Maryland to Utah this very day. We've been with them the last couple days helping with cleaning, packing, or baby watching, and it was just weird looking around at the emptiness of the house and knowing we won't be going there again. Yes, I am happy that they are doing what's best for their family, yadda, yadda, yadda. But I'm going to be selfish for just a moment and say why I'm not so thrilled about this idea.

They have lived in Columbia, and I used to live with them when I moved to Maryland, so Columbia still feels like home to me. I love the shopping there, the majority of my doctors are there, and it's just a good place to be. So when I go there for these things, I like to be able to either stop at their house to hang out, have a snack (they are always so nice to let me help myself), call to see if she wants to meet me at the mall for some fun, or to play with the kiddies. It was just like I had another place to call home. Now I'll feel almost like a stranger there. Even though I still have friends in the area, it won't be quite the same. We loved having family to have dinner with on Sunday evenings, or watch movies at their house with 4 dollar Harris Teeter hogies on Friday nights. The kids know us and we know them. I don't want that to change. And what about the holidays?We loved spending Easter, Thanksgiving, and sometimes Christmas with them. And also, they are moving where EVERYONE else in my family, and most of KC's family happens to be. At least within a 30 min. drive of everyone. So it's just lonely KC and me over here, all the way across the country.

So, now that my pity-party is over, I'll go ahead and say that I am very happy for them. Jake has a new job that I hope that I hope is just what they've been looking for. It's nice to have lots of family around, and that is what they will have. They get to build their dream-house, and who doesn't love that? The boys will have lots of cousins to play with, and will finally know their other aunts and uncles. We will see them again, and a lot. I mean, it's inevitable since everyone else is there. And since we are not planning to stay here forever, it would be completely selfish for me to not want anyone else to go where they feel is best. Plus, we scored on some perishables and other stuff they couldn't fit in the truck. And you know what, KC and I are okay here by ourselves. We were lucky, and spoiled to have family near us in the first place. We have made great friends, and have a life here. So they are not abandoning us, but we will certainly miss them.

So all that being said, it's funny how things change and life just goes on. When I think of where my life is, really just beginning, I wonder what twists and turns will present themselves. Some have already been made known, but I am aware that things are bound to change more and more in ways that I would've never thought my life would. And I'm okay with that. I like change. I always have. I like a challenge (though not too challenging, please), and am actually really good at adapting to new situations. These past several years in Maryland, I have gone through some major life changes, and made some hopefully life-long friends. Yet, it's so weird that this time in my life with just be a tiny segment compared to everything else that will follow. Sometimes I get so caught up in the here and now, and I fail to realize that it's only a matter of time before things change.

Weird rant. You'd think we were moving. But we're not, yet. It's the Turpins for now. And boy will they be missed. We LOVE you guys, and can't wait to see you when we visit. But, for now, any visitors will be welcomed with open arms. Of course you always were, but now we need you more than ever.

Here are a few pics from our final hang with the fam. We tried to go to the Arboretum for a picnic on Sunday evening, but it was closed. We chose a cute park instead and it was fun all the same.

Jane had fun lounging on the air mattress with a tutu on afterward. She found a pacifier that Iris left at my house once. Jane has never really used one, but she really seemed to like it that day.

I might as well add some pictures from a different picnic last Saturday. Everyone was giddy with the warm weather so, we took full advantage of it. After a nice lunch, they broke out the boccie. I don't think I could describe more perfect weather than last weekend.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I would be sad too! I was pretty sad a couple of years ago when Jeremy's parents moved, but it has been good for us! I actually really like not being to close to family but close enought to visit often! Hopefully soon you will have a bigger family yourself and start something new around there! and hopefully in a matter of time you will be back to utah also! :)

Janice said...

I've been thinking about you and this day when Cami would leave. Makes me sad too. We moved a lot in our first 14 years. I was so sad moving, but I think it was just as hard on those we left behind. I always tried to write memories of all those people, so I could have something to cherish later.

melody said...

Yes, it is bittersweet for me. I am thrilled to have the Turpins here, but sad that you and KC will be the only fam left out there. Let's just keep a closer eye on those plane tickets!

Cami said...

Oh man. I'm sad. It's funny--it was great to move close to family over here, but that just somehow doesn't ease the pain of leaving you guys. It is the end of an era. But it's true, we'll see you a lot, and the boys will NEVER forget you, but I can tell Janey misses you already. She was so happy to see a familiar face last time in Utah when she saw you. But our kids did pretty well, so maybe we can actually visit! And you are always welcome with us here. I haven't even called you yet, but I've been thinking of you a lot. You will do great.

Jann said...

I was fun to read your post and see the pictures.

Corinne said...

That picture of them in the van is so funny! I'm glad you're still here with me :)

Tracie Frost said...

Oh! I'm sorry they're gone! How sad for you! They will miss you too!!